Game 7: Breakers at Eagles (Friday, February 24)

East Coast Senior Hockey League - Teams include CeeBees, Breakers, Eagles, Caps & Blues
HockeyFan29
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:49 pm

Cee Bees in 4!

Hockey Eyes

Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:29 pm

The Breakers might have won with a couple of breaks but the Eagles deserved the win . They held their " shape" so to speak and after the Eagles tied the game at one some of the air went out of the Breakers.
To me the turning point is when the Breakers had a two man advantage and only scored one goal. The Eagles drew a four minute minor and then a second minor. When the Breakers scored before any penalty expired they still had a two man advantage because only the first minor of the double came off the board. Then Lee took a slashing penalty so their two man advantage became a one man advantage. Lee's penalty was borderline but when there is a two man advantage officials are looking to call that stuff.
Good game though. It went to overtime. The 50-50 was over a thousand. The Breaker fans are also great. I was with a couple of them . One whole side of the rink was " Southern Shore ". Those marvellous accents from Mayo and Cork.
The Eagles are going now to yet another final. They will have their hands full with the CeeBees but it has the making of a great series. I have always said and others agree that the CeeBees are a couple of bricks short. Their best seven or eight are great but it drops off a little too quickly. Their home record is great but .... in an amateur league getting players to go to Harbour Grace for a weekend game isn't the easiest of chores. I'm saying that as a theory .. not a fact.
The Eagles -Breakers was great. It was a great series for the league. Seven games and the last two going to sudden death overtime. That is what hockey is about. At least that is what the AESHL is about. The league put about ten grand in the bank last night and the finals are still to come. There WILL be an AESHL next year. No salaries ( yes there might be an odd dollar changing hands)
Oh yeah the rink was full ...lots of fans there from Harbour Grace ...the fries were good .
That's how I saw the game but what do I know? . I'd like to hear from others who were there....
Last edited by Hockey Eyes on Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:10 am

I was at the game and agree only scoring once on that extended 5 on 3 was a key to Breakers loss. I think Breakers coach made some key errors. One was starting the third period with Ray Dalton on the bench for what remained on the 5 on 3.

The save by Goss late in the third when it was tied might have been one of the best saves I've ever seen at the Senior Hockey level. It's a more than a great save but the pressure of doing it tied late in a game 7...wow. I think it was in White who somehow was alone in the a lot what seemed like an eternity. it was almost like it occurred in slow-motion.
Last edited by 123 on Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:18 am

Now that I think about it, I do not recall any game in the series (outside of powerplay time) when the Breakers pinned the Eagles in their zone for any extended periods of time. I know I'll be told I'm wrong but based on attending most of this series, the Breakers were lucky this made it to Game 7 and OT at that. Funny enough every game to me it seemed the Eagles were in control. Goss really played a great series, not trying to take anything away from Yetman.

AEfan

Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:51 pm

123 wrote:Now that I think about it, I do not recall any game in the series (outside of powerplay time) when the Breakers pinned the Eagles in their zone for any extended periods of time. I know I'll be told I'm wrong but based on attending most of this series, the Breakers were lucky this made it to Game 7 and OT at that. Funny enough every game to me it seemed the Eagles were in control. Goss really played a great series, not trying to take anything away from Yetman.
Not sure how you can deduce that the eagles were in control of every game. Breakers wins (5-2, 2-1,3-2) with all 3 not trailing at any point, would back that up. If the refs had to have called that trip on Lee in the 3rd, White wouldn't have scored on the turnover and SS would've had the lead still. Obvious only because it was Lee they didn't call it but every person in the rink knew it was tripping. Congrats to the Eagles either way. They capitalized on the bounces that went their way. Should be a good final series

Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:36 pm

Even when they were losing i still felt they were dictating play.

Hockey Eyes

Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:04 pm

The Eagles play the game a certain way. The Caps never let them play the game they want. this year the Breakers did. The Eagles have some size which they used . Several times in the series they got goals pushing people off the puck. They also have a hard forecheck which seemed to work for them and they usually play the puck out of their zone rather than dump it.
The Breakers COULD have won but the Eagles were able to put their print on the game. I didn;t see all the games but the ones I did the Eagles seemed ... in control. The whole thing could have wrecked with those penalties but it didn't. Hockey is like that .
Great series though and I think the series with the CeeBees has a lot of possabilities. The CeeBees have some really skilled players in their lineup but the question is ...do they have enough of them
The prospect of a series at the Jack Byrne and at the new stadium in Harbour Grace is wonderful . Lots of money for the league and which ever team wins has an excellent " Herder" rink. Just sayin'.

The Bottom Line

Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:27 am

Hockey Eyes wrote:The Breakers might have won with a couple of breaks but the Eagles deserved the win . They held their " shape" so to speak and after the Eagles tied the game at one some of the air went out of the Breakers.
To me the turning point is when the Breakers had a two man advantage and only scored one goal. The Eagles drew a four minute minor and then a second minor. When the Breakers scored before any penalty expired they still had a two man advantage because only the first minor of the double came off the board. Then Lee took a slashing penalty so their two man advantage became a one man advantage. Lee's penalty was borderline but when there is a two man advantage officials are looking to call that stuff.
Good game though. It went to overtime. The 50-50 was over a thousand. The Breaker fans are also great. I was with a couple of them . One whole side of the rink was " Southern Shore ". Those marvellous accents from Mayo and Cork.
The Eagles are going now to yet another final. They will have their hands full with the CeeBees but it has the making of a great series. I have always said and others agree that the CeeBees are a couple of bricks short. Their best seven or eight are great but it drops off a little too quickly. Their home record is great but .... in an amateur league getting players to go to Harbour Grace for a weekend game isn't the easiest of chores. I'm saying that as a theory .. not a fact.
The Eagles -Breakers was great. It was a great series for the league. Seven games and the last two going to sudden death overtime. That is what hockey is about. At least that is what the AESHL is about. The league put about ten grand in the bank last night and the finals are still to come. There WILL be an AESHL next year. No salaries ( yes there might be an odd dollar changing hands)
Oh yeah the rink was full ...lots of fans there from Harbour Grace ...the fries were good .
That's how I saw the game but what do I know? . I'd like to hear from others who were there....

bahahaha.......everyday is Pancake day in the AESHL... :lol:

Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:44 am

Stop sweating the small stuff EndOfTheLine. Enjoy your final few games in the West before she collapses.

The Bottom Line

Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:56 am

123 wrote:Stop sweating the small stuff EndOfTheLine. Enjoy your final few games in the West before she collapses.

bahahaha.........we'll always have a rec hockey league here too to watch and one on the west coast. But as in your league, no one cares anyway... :roll:

• Information