Eagles @ Blues Game 3

East Coast Senior Hockey League - Teams include CeeBees, Breakers, Eagles, Caps & Blues
Hockey Eyes
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:58 pm

Evan I don't know if you come to any AESHL games but i think you have underestimated the Eagles. You might consider these few things ....
1 ) your league isn't as strong as it was . Three years ago this would be a different series than now .

2) the team the Royals play ( or the Cats) will be a strengthend team with as many as six players from the league joining it. Sort of like the Clarenville/Ceebees that did so well in Allan Cup

3) there is a question of which team the Royals or Cats will send. Will they bring in their imports or decide not to spend the money. Last year during the Herder discussions there was a major difference of opinion. It concerned the paying of expenses of teams coming to Mile One . Do you pay the expenses from Corner Brook or Grand Falls or from Halifax or Toronto.? That is type of thing that might have a team WCSHL team to decide to go with local players. What a concept.
If you go " local" and the AESHL has a strengthend Eagles , Breakers or Capitals team ....well....
a goal in three games might really be a poor prediction.
Just sayin'
Just sayin'

evanpenton

Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:23 pm

i believe lionsden said last year (if this were to happen) the cats would be bringing their full team.
with the allan cup qualifier and the allan cup to follow the week aftert he cats arent going to not bring in fergus or gallant.

i have not seen an aeshl game , however i have a few friends who haves seen both. i stand by my comment. the aeshl defenders are used to aeshl speed. they will not come close to,stopping fergus brennan sibley any of those guys. meanwhile the cwshl defenders are used to shutting down brandon hynes escott and derosiers . so shutting down sparkes wadden and cadigans should be somewhat of a step down.

accidents can happen but i truly believe the 2 games im gfw will be blowouts. 6-0 7-0. then the cats will just play trap. head off to st johns and demolish the aeshl team for a fun weekend of friday and saturday night drinking downtown.

you have discussed that some players from cwshl might get cocky and decide to show up hungover or wit a lack of heart so the play might be more even.

what if guys from the aeshl get destroyed first game and decide its not worth their effort to skate flat out and still be humiliated ?

now ask yourself which situation is more likely. mile one will bomb after people see an embarassing 2 games at the joe.imo.
GO CATS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!

Oldtimer

Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:40 pm

Games played in St. John's are at Jack Byrne arena. And individuals don't win championships, teams do. Stranger things have happened. I can see the AESHL team winning a game. If they don't, they don't. The league in here has continued to grow, and will continue to grow.

evanpenton

Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:48 pm

of course it will. hnls agenda is to continue to take away from the cwshl until theres nothing left . all players will have no choice but to play in the aeshl.
GO CATS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!

Hockey Eyes

Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:11 pm

Well there is no question but yours is a stronger league but there is lots of talent in our league in the east . Lots of speed as well. So many of the players you have like Sibley came through St. John's junior league. He is a fast player . No question.. but would he be the fastest player in the AESHL? ...not a chance . A nice indication of the strength of the league out here is how the Reid boys have worked out in Clarenville. They were good players with us and good players in the west. Now this year you get some players returning to the AESHL ... I suspect its the money . The dollars are not as free flowing as they used to be . I mentioned in a post a few days ago som,e of the players with the Eagles .. the Cadigans , Jermey Kavangh, Jason Picco , Mitch Bragg . Sean Wadden , Mark Yetman ,( for my money the best goalie in the province) Andrew White , Chris Mooney Chris Sparkes ,... that's a few without mentioning any pickups.
Maybe score a goal ??. I don't think that is the way it is going down . There is also the matter of intensity. I see more checks finished in AAA midget than in the WCSHL. Its like really skilled and really fast and there is great hockey ...but it is like they are all buddies .. (some exceptions) but you know what I mean.

Hockey Eyes

Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:16 pm

I should have mentioned this . The big difference between the east and west ...is depth. Every team in the AEHL has some good players. But the talent level tends to drop off fairly quickly. There is maybe a line and a half of good players or two lines.. The Eagles this year are deeper than that . You look at how the games go and teams tend to stay with the Eagles for a period and a bit . Then it starts to show ..... good speeed , great transition ...some size ...amazing goaltending . A lot of players with good hands . They will give a good accounting ... if they can win the east ..!!

superfan

Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:43 pm

I think HNL should balance out the AESHL rather than attack the CWSHL .

It is a disgrace what is going on and HNL are standing by watching this farce of a league LMAO.

The AESHL should be down graded to "B" and there should be six imports in the CWSHL .

The AESHL should be a farm league for the CWSHL .This takes the lime light from St. Johns so it wont happen .

.... your Scotch is on the bench by the way enjoy :ymapplause: .

BeefJerky

Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:48 pm

I have watched both CWSHL and AESHL games this year.

Assuming the Eagles win the East (which I think they could be in tough against the Caps (if they beat SS) - The Caps play a physical game which I find the Eagles tend to back down from when playing the Caps - but that's another discussion..)

While the Eagles may score more than one goal against the Cats or Royals (assuming they play in the West final), I don't think they will take a game off of either of these teams. The only way this happens is if the CWSHL team "beats themselves" or Yetman stands on his head and steals a game. Most of the top line players for the Eagles are/were at best depth players during the former NLSHL.

Even if the Eagles were able to slow the top line of the Cats (or Royals), they will not be able to handle the speed and depth of their 2nd and 3rd lines.

One advantage I believe that the AESHL teams have is physicality.. I have seen many more hits thrown amongst East teams. However with that said, one can argue that during CWSHL regular season games, players didn't bring their most intense games, as all teams make the playoffs anyway.

Hockey Eyes, you point out that teams tend to stay with the Eagles for a period and a bit then fall off due to speed, etc. I believe this is exactly the same thing that will happen to the winner of the AESHL when playing the CWSHL winner. They will hang tough for a bit, but eventually be worn down from speed and skill.

Look for scores to be in the 6-2, 7-3, 5-2 range.

Cheers.
Transplanted from GFW to St. John's.
Go Cats Go!

Twitter: @kellymbutt

Hockey Eyes

Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:08 pm

Good analysis especially on the Caps versus Eagles. Thanks for the game updates as well. A thankless task ..
I only half jokingly suggested earlier this year the Eagles sign Shane Gamberg . They own his rights and he still plays senior ball I think so he is half distant shape. Almost everybody I know disagrees with that as a plan *s*

superfan

Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:15 pm

Hockey Eyes wrote:Good analysis especially on the Caps versus Eagles. Thanks for the game updates as well. A thankless task ..
I only half jokingly suggested earlier this year the Eagles sign Shane Gamberg . They own his rights and he still plays senior ball I think so he is half distant shape. Almost everybody I know disagrees with that as a plan *s*

Hockey Eyes look after me buddy Evan , with some tix please .He is a great sport and you will find him to be a great buddy for life.

..... thanks and have a great weekend :ymapplause: .

• Information