East Playoffs

East Coast Senior Hockey League - Teams include CeeBees, Breakers, Eagles, Caps & Blues
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:39 pm

Breakers won 4-1 tonight and lead series 2-1 over the Eagles.

Game 4: Friday, March 02 @ The Shore
Game 5: Sunday, March 04 @ The Shore
Game 6: Friday, March 09 @ Northeast

Cap and Blues tied at 1 apiece.

Game 3: Friday, March 02 @ St. John’s
Game 4: Monday, March 05 @ CBS
Game 5: Friday, March 09 @ St. John’s
Game 6: Saturday, March 10 @ CBS
Game 7: Monday, March 12 @ St. John’s

Hockey Eyes

Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:50 am

The better team won.The 4-1 score doesn't even really reflect the play. The Breakers are faster , more organized , play better on the power play ...etc etc . The Eagles also played shorthanded for six minutes on a triple minor and that seemed to take some of the life out of them ( they gave up one goal).
Still I liked the game.The Eagles are struggling this year but they try hard. I like that. .they won a game up the Shore but it took double overtime. Last night at the Jack Byrne they scored one goal. You have to ask how many games you are going to win in this league if you score one goal..
Nicholas looked great for the Breakers. No surprise.
The big talk along the boards ( maybe a hundred fans) is what east coast senior hockey will look like next fall. Will there be one league or two.? There will be CeeBees and Blades and Caribous but where will the fourth team come from ? Will there be six teams in that league ? That raises the question ...who wants to drive to Clarenville to play hockey. That's a short trip from Harbour Grace ....longer from Mount Pearl ...longer again from the Southern Shore . I have no idea how it will play out ..... I suspect two leagues . One with really good players... one with guys who want to play hockey. Who knows.
The fries were good at Jack Byrne ... the game .... not so good .... except both teams tried hard....Next two games up the shore. ... ....

Gobreakers

Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:07 pm

Hockey Eyes wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:50 am
The better team won.The 4-1 score doesn't even really reflect the play. The Breakers are faster , more organized , play better on the power play ...etc etc . The Eagles also played shorthanded for six minutes on a triple minor and that seemed to take some of the life out of them ( they gave up one goal).
Still I liked the game.The Eagles are struggling this year but they try hard. I like that. .they won a game up the Shore but it took double overtime. Last night at the Jack Byrne they scored one goal. You have to ask how many games you are going to win in this league if you score one goal..
Nicholas looked great for the Breakers. No surprise.
The big talk along the boards ( maybe a hundred fans) is what east coast senior hockey will look like next fall. Will there be one league or two.? There will be CeeBees and Blades and Caribous but where will the fourth team come from ? Will there be six teams in that league ? That raises the question ...who wants to drive to Clarenville to play hockey. That's a short trip from Harbour Grace ....longer from Mount Pearl ...longer again from the Southern Shore . I have no idea how it will play out ..... I suspect two leagues . One with really good players... one with guys who want to play hockey. Who knows.
The fries were good at Jack Byrne ... the game .... not so good .... except both teams tried hard....Next two games up the shore. ... ....
What I've been hearing is that there may be some interest on the Shore for the Breakers to be part of the new league. Personally I hope it happens. Although you may enjoy the farce that is the ECSHL I have not heard anyone else say the same.

Could you explain what you mean by one league with really good players and one league with guys who want to play hockey? Surely you're not suggesting that just because a person is considered to be a "good" hockey player it means he doesn't "want" to play hockey. I also don't understand your comment about players not wanting to travel to Clarenville, except the CeeBees because their distance is not as far as the other teams. Really? I have no idea what teams will be in the new league or what the make-up will be but I'm fairly confident that the entire Ceebee team will not be residing in CBN and consequently travelling from Harbour Grace for a game in Clarenville. I would also assume that some of the so-called locals don't live there due to school or work commitments. I'm not saying that travel to Clarenville may not be an issue for some players but to suggest the Ceebees have an adavantage because the location of their stadium in closer to the CEC than is the Mount Pearl or Southern Shore stadium is, I think, a bit misleading.

Gomez

Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:33 pm

SS to Cville 175km
Pearl to Cville 178km
Hr Grace to Cville 162 km

Someone needs to brush up on their bayography

Hockey Eyes

Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:13 pm

I perhaps didn't explain myself well. First of all just by way of clarification. The ECSHL that you describe as a farce is a league that provides four teams from four communities ( more or less) of hockey players with " a game". That's all the league is. That there are few fans isn't an issue.The league works for the players .
There is a movement afoot to re-invent a league that would be more competitive. Here s what I know . Not opinion .Just what I know. The CeeBees , the Caribous and the Mount Pearl Blades would be part of that . The fourth team ????? Nobody seems to have an answer as to what team that is so I assume at this stage there is no commitment. The league is supposed to not have salaries other than sticks and gear. There is talk however of it being a league that spends a few dollars but not on salaries.
Your point about where players come from is well taken . How many Breakers player live on the shore? I know with the Eagles the answer is that it is very much a community team butI can't speak for other teams. With all these players being freed up in central there should be some talent on the go anyway .....The point remains though that travel is , in part , what killed the CWSHL league or whatever it is called and there IS a difference between Harbour Grace -Clarenville and Southern Shore -Clarenville or St Johns - Clarenville.
Also with unpaid players ... who wants to travel ? . The players from the Avalon who went to Grand Falls went to make money. They didn't play for nothing ..It was a salaried league. .. to make money. You saw the season that when called upon for teams to travel to go play hockey against the central teams ...they didn't want to go .... Here is central question and I'm not asking this to be mean but ......How many like playing hockey like it enough to go to Clarenville for a weekend or drive home from Harbour Grace on a Saturday night for nothing. ?
I'm not sure of the answer but it makes me think there may be two leagues..... There were three or four Constabulary members playing in the league this year ECSHL ...there were fellows in medical school at Memorial. Many people with their own business. They can't take a weekend to go play hockey for free in another town....We saw the size of the benches this year when ECSHL played in central. .Maybe there will be enough players freed up from the CWSHL to make that work but I wonder.....
Anyway food for thought ...

Gomez

Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:44 pm

I don't suspect the ECSHL executive expected players interest in the league to be so low. The reason the ECSHL are having trouble filling out a roster is because a lot of the quality players in the area choose not to play in this league. Just look at the player turnover from last year to this year. Pretty clear the player interest is down.

On the interlocking games. Why would players be interested in going west to get blown out? The teams struggled with icing full teams all year in their own barns.

Going to Clarenville for a couple games of hockey once every 4-5 weeks isn't going to keep anyone from playing in this new league. If anything it will attract more quality hockey players. Players will enjoy playing in Clareville just as they enjoyed playing in Hr. grace last year.

I don't suspect there is room for both leagues. It would be great if both leagues could survive and work together for the betterment of hockey in the province. Unfortunately, I think there are too many personalities involved for that to happen .

Gobreakers

Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:03 pm

If the ECSHL is a league that is there to work for the players as you say, one would think that trying to attract players to show up for games would not have been such a problem that it was all winter.

In my opinion this league is nothing more than a miscalculation, formed for all the wrong reasons. It was designed solely for the purpose of getting rid of the Ceebees. Nothing more, nothing less. Were the Ceebees paying players? Maybe. I don't know for sure and neither do you. I suspect they were but until someone can show me definitive proof that they were, then it is a maybe, just as Torbay, the Caps and the Breakers are also maybes because over the years I've also heard rumors about these teams paying some players as well, maybe not as much as the Ceebees but the rumors were the same. So why single out just one team to believe the rumours about. It seems to have more to do with personal issues than financial one.

Regardless of all the whispers and inuendos, the bottom line for me is that the only thing accomplished by booting the Ceebees from the league was that it killed senior hockey in the east and those responsible should hang their heads in shame. You obviously don't agree and that's fine but I for one appreciate the efforts of Clarenville, Mount Pearl and CBN to try to get senior hockey back on track for us fans. I just hope the Breakers are a part of it but if they are not I will travel to Mount Pearl, Harbour Grace and Clarenville on occasion to catch a game. I and many more like me will attend and enjoy the "good" hockey in those, and hopefully a few other centres, while you and anyone else so inclined can go enjoy the other league. To each his/her own.

Hockey Eyes

Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:21 pm

I don't have a horse in this race. If the Blades are playing I will be a fan.Always have been.I won't go to Harbour Grace or Clarenville ... it is too far .I won't go the Mobile because the rink is no good and the road is lousy . Nothing against the shore. I won't go Twin Rinks to watch a game it's just no good.
If there are two leagues that would be great. If there is just one ... that is also great. The idea that this league was formed in its present form to legalize the throwing out of the CeeBees is correct . It is also correct a lot of players didn't want the CeeBees tossed. Rightly or wrongly it was payback for bolting the league and heading west .
The issue is where will the CeeBees, the Blades and the Caribous play ? There are a lot of possible answers ...some good some bad ...
A four team league is the scenario that was explained to me but the name of the fourth team was " secret". I take that as meaning there is no fourth team at this stage. I suspect the issue might be economics.... There is ca long time though between now and the Fall but that needs to get ironed out fairly quickly....

Gobreakers

Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:47 pm

Hockey Eyes wrote:

A four team league is the scenario that was explained to me but the name of the fourth team was " secret". I take that as meaning there is no fourth team at this stage. I suspect the issue might be economics....
On what do you base that suspicion? Because someone said it's a secret? Maybe there's no more to it than a possible team or teams not yet being in a position to formally announce that they plan to join the new league. You take it to mean there is no fourth team while I on the other hand take it mean that it could be an existing ECSHL team. Neither of us know anything for sure but hopefully I'm right and the 4th team is the Breakers, maybe even with some players from da Goulds.

AEfan

Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:25 pm

Gobreakers wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:47 pm
Hockey Eyes wrote:

A four team league is the scenario that was explained to me but the name of the fourth team was " secret". I take that as meaning there is no fourth team at this stage. I suspect the issue might be economics....
On what do you base that suspicion? Because someone said it's a secret? Maybe there's no more to it than a possible team or teams not yet being in a position to formally announce that they plan to join the new league. You take it to mean there is no fourth team while I on the other hand take it mean that it could be an existing ECSHL team. Neither of us know anything for sure but hopefully I'm right and the 4th team is the Breakers, maybe even with some players from da Goulds.
Gobreakers stop your whining on here about how crappy the ecshl is and head up and cheer on the Shore this weekend

• Information