Mount Pearl Senior Blades, new players?

East Coast Senior Hockey League - Teams include CeeBees, Breakers, Eagles, Caps & Blues
FanOfHabs
What colour is a puck?: black

Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:08 pm

I have heard from a couple of different people that the Mount Pearl Senior Blades will ice a very different lineup this year than they did in the 08-09 season. I am wondering if any of these rumours are true, and I'm wondering if any of you have heard who the Senior Blades might be adding, or trying to add, for this season.

So far I've heard Terry Ryan might be a Blade and John Ball will be a Blade. Someone also told me there are a few more guys who played in the WCSHL last season who are also going to play for the Blades this year. These would be guys whose AESHL rights are owned by Mount Pearl

As far as graduating junior players go, I keep hearing Cory Blackmore, Kenny Pennell, Devin O'Brien and Matthew Coles will play senior hockey in Mount Pearl this year. I'd have to think the Blades are also interested in Steve Pearson, a Mount Pearl native who has spent the past three years playing junior hockey on the mainland, both in the QMJHL and the Maritime Junior A Hockey League.

Assuming all these rumours are true, and they likely are not all true, the addition of all these players would certainly help improve the Blades. Even if the Jewer-to-Grand Falls-rumour is true, the team should be fine if O'Brien is their starting goalie. Ball and Coles would certainly help the D, while Blackmore and Pearson would add offense. Pennell would add toughness and is also a pretty good player, while Terry Ryan would be the best player in the Avalon East if he in fact decides to play in Mount Pearl.

Like I said, I don't know if any of these rumous mean anything, but it's worth discussing, anyway.

kavanagh

Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:40 pm

FanOfHabs wrote:I have heard from a couple of different people that the Mount Pearl Senior Blades will ice a very different lineup this year than they did in the 08-09 season. I am wondering if any of these rumours are true, and I'm wondering if any of you have heard who the Senior Blades might be adding, or trying to add, for this season.

So far I've heard Terry Ryan might be a Blade and John Ball will be a Blade. Someone also told me there are a few more guys who played in the WCSHL last season who are also going to play for the Blades this year. These would be guys whose AESHL rights are owned by Mount Pearl

As far as graduating junior players go, I keep hearing Cory Blackmore, Kenny Pennell, Devin O'Brien and Matthew Coles will play senior hockey in Mount Pearl this year. I'd have to think the Blades are also interested in Steve Pearson, a Mount Pearl native who has spent the past three years playing junior hockey on the mainland, both in the QMJHL and the Maritime Junior A Hockey League.

Assuming all these rumours are true, and they likely are not all true, the addition of all these players would certainly help improve the Blades. Even if the Jewer-to-Grand Falls-rumour is true, the team should be fine if O'Brien is their starting goalie. Ball and Coles would certainly help the D, while Blackmore and Pearson would add offense. Pennell would add toughness and is also a pretty good player, while Terry Ryan would be the best player in the Avalon East if he in fact decides to play in Mount Pearl.

Like I said, I don't know if any of these rumous mean anything, but it's worth discussing, anyway.

Ive herd the Ball and Terry rumors also, not to mention he is playing Ball this summer with the MP Storm...who just happen to be sponsored by H.J Bartlett and coached(i think he coaches) by Dave roper who is very involved with the Blades and with Terry being a former Blade i don't think he would need to enter the draft. The word out this way is that Terry isn't the biggest player leaving the West to come play for the deep pocketed Blades, it was close to a done deal last i herd. With vets like Ryan, Ball and cough cough added to all that talented youth MP had i think they will be a MUCH better team. In fact other than Jewer and the couple of CeeBee players Ive herd more about players leaving the West to come play for the east teams then the normal other way around, every east team recently got there cut of the herder profits and are looking to lure some players back...West Coast style!! Hopefully it leads to 10 fairly even SR teams province wide.

BackinBlack

Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:38 pm

kavanagh wrote:
FanOfHabs wrote:I have heard from a couple of different people that the Mount Pearl Senior Blades will ice a very different lineup this year than they did in the 08-09 season. I am wondering if any of these rumours are true, and I'm wondering if any of you have heard who the Senior Blades might be adding, or trying to add, for this season.

Ive herd the Ball and Terry rumors also, not to mention he is playing Ball this summer with the MP Storm...who just happen to be sponsored by H.J Bartlett and coached(i think he coaches) by Dave roper who is very involved with the Blades and with Terry being a former Blade i don't think he would need to enter the draft. The word out this way is that Terry isn't the biggest player leaving the West to come play for the deep pocketed Blades, it was close to a done deal last i herd. With vets like Ryan, Ball and cough cough added to all that talented youth MP had i think they will be a MUCH better team. In fact other than Jewer and the couple of CeeBee players Ive herd more about players leaving the West to come play for the east teams then the normal other way around, every east team recently got there cut of the herder profits and are looking to lure some players back...West Coast style!! Hopefully it leads to 10 fairly even SR teams province wide.
oh my goodness, what ever are you saying?? :o :o :o :shock: :shock: :shock: certainly ur not suggesting that any of the teams in the east would ever pay any of their player!!! you cant be saying that could you?? what ever will little joey maynard think of that?? naaaawwwww......must be some sort of crazy rumour cause joe almighty would never allow that to happen......not in his league. paying players only happens in the big bad ugly wcshl! :roll: :roll:

jck89

Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:55 am

BackinBlack wrote:
kavanagh wrote:

oh my goodness, what ever are you saying?? :o :o :o :shock: :shock: :shock: certainly ur not suggesting that any of the teams in the east would ever pay any of their player!!! you cant be saying that could you?? what ever will little joey maynard think of that?? naaaawwwww......must be some sort of crazy rumour cause joe almighty would never allow that to happen......not in his league. paying players only happens in the big bad ugly wcshl! :roll: :roll:

hahahaha I love it

BackinBlack

Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:21 am

yea !! lets see how far carl lake and robin short can run with this one!
NOT! WON'T HAPPEN !! :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz:

kavanagh

Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:40 pm

[quote="BackinBlack"]yea !! lets see how far carl lake and robin short can run with this one!
NOT! WON'T HAPPEN !! :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz:[/quote

i don't think any one claims that some if not all east players get something, but the money paid out by each league is not even comparable....GF offering the delaney's 1500 and 1000 each a game, lol an east team might pay the entire team 1000 a game. I just cant wait to see how the west fans react when a couple of big names head east this season...god you called for Brazil's head when Gear joined the wave, CB even had him suspended, lol...what was he a 3rd line player for the Royals?

catsfan200

Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:22 pm

Big name players from DL... hopefully.. :smile:
2011 Herder Champions
2014 Herder Champions
2015 Herder Champions
2016 Herder Champions
Go Cats Go!

Follow me on twitter @markie800200

BackinBlack

Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:52 pm

kavanagh wrote:
BackinBlack wrote:yea !! lets see how far carl lake and robin short can run with this one!
NOT! WON'T HAPPEN !! :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz:[/quote

i don't think any one claims that some if not all east players get something, but the money paid out by each league is not even comparable....GF offering the delaney's 1500 and 1000 each a game, lol an east team might pay the entire team 1000 a game. I just cant wait to see how the west fans react when a couple of big names head east this season...god you called for Brazil's head when Gear joined the wave, CB even had him suspended, lol...what was he a 3rd line player for the Royals?
i dont think the west fans will have a problem with it if it happens! as i have stated here before, its the players choice where they play. and do you really think that any big name player from the west will go to the east for less money?? i doubt it! its all bad enough!!

as for the amount of money gf might be offering players........the figures you have quoted are totally out to lunch! the delaney boyz arnt even worth that kind of money anyway and everyone knows it! things are different in the west!

if ya wana talk about adam gear then lets talk apples and apples, not apples and baseball bats. if i remember correctly, (and i was not personally involved) the royals were upset cause gear was skateing with the wave and never even had his release. actually, i believe he was still signed on a card with the royals. a suspension was the right thing to do and what does the line he played on have to do with anythin???? :roll: :roll:

tin can fan

Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:31 pm

I wish someone would post what players are being paid per game (roughly)
I know some of the players and the amount being paid is nowhere near what is reported.
The very best player in the league is Churchill and you would be surprised what the Bous are paying him.
Get it through your head that some players like a little cash on the side but are playing for the love of the game and the fans thay are playing for. Church is a prime example of this.

The Professor

Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:15 pm

while it is always my intention to repsect the point of view of others, it would be erroneous if I did not tackle the previous post. There can be made a case for Churchill definately being in the top 10, probably top 5 players in the WCSHL, but in no certain terms is he the best player. I would readily conceed that he was the most outstanding goaltender this past season, he will more than likely be the best this coming season. he is an excellent player, a good leader and I believe a fine example of a person - a credit to himself, his organization, community and province. But, he is not, nor was he, the best player in the league this past season. This may cause an uproar, but I say this from an objective point of view. I have no stake in promoting one player over another, I have nothing to gain, but I believe to not give credit where credit is due would be wrong.

Martin Lapointe is by far the best OVERALL hockey player in Newfoundland Senior Hockey. He has vision, speed, puck control and pressure. He knows the game, excels in the finer points - angles, quickness, first 3 strides... i could go on and on. I have watched hockey the world over, from timbits to the Olympics, and for the calibre of our league, he stands out as the best player. He reads the game at a level not seen in other players in out league and deserves the recognition for it.

Having said all of this, there will be those who disagree with what I have said. I do not wish to be seen as slighting the other top notch players partaking in our game:

Terry Ryan and Morgan Warren are wonderful to watch when they are on. Terry still has a lot of the skills that earned his 8th overall pick by Montreal in '95; Morgan still has the size, speed, and skill he had 10 years ago, and will continue to impress.

Mark Robinson proved this past season he can still do what he has done in the past - tally points and produce. Ray Daulton would be on my team were I to be in a position to name one - he is a pleasure to watch play.

Mark Chaplin, Derek Kent, Andrew Pearcey all more than adequately represented themselves this past year. Chaplin is a first class player - no doubt about it.

I could go on, I am leaving out quality individuals like Druken, Wolf, Short, Smith, Rogers, and even Colbourne. We have an abundance of real solid talent in our league - not to mention the excellent players in the AESHL like Keith Delaney, Ryan Delaney, Wadden, Thomey, Gear, and Gosse...the Sullivans on the Shore just to name a few.

All these players are talented. I would not deny or argue with anyone on that point. But they all lack that finese, flair, and fire that is seen game in and out with Lapointe. He is a pure professional hockey player. And by all rights and to be perfectly honest, he could and probably should be playing in Europe on the AHL.

He is that good. He will continue to be that good. He is a throw back to the hay-day of our game in the 60's and 70's when big names played in our communities from across our country. Fleming MacKell, Howie Meeker, Roberge brothers, George Faulkner, Alex Faulkner, Jean-Guy Morrisette, Don Howse, Doug Grant, Wes Trainor, Tony White, Nick Mickoski, Joe Lundrigan, Gary Simmons...I could go on and on with this list, but I would encourage all to leave at least one place empty on theirs, because have no doubt, Martin Lapointe will be on it once his playing days are done.
Why? Because I am fantastic...
Be champions!
- Jose Mourinho -

• Information