Offseason

East Coast Senior Hockey League - Teams include CeeBees, Breakers, Eagles, Caps & Blues
Carbonear Canadiens
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:33 am

catsfan200 wrote:Someone posted other day Dyke to Cats lol...
That's a fact. If Dyke moves anywhere it's to GF. And yes, October is a long ways away but I've been told by a pretty reputable source that as of right now Tobin is a deal for next year. Don't be surprised to see Keith back here next year either.
Follow me on Twitter: @CCanadiens

seein stars

Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:59 am

Can't see Keith alone!!!!! What do you think? Ryan is going back to MUN.
A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.” –Wayne Gretzky

Danny.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:40 pm

If dyke comes out west i can see him going to the cats, i hear rodi short willl be going to the shore so dyke would be his replacement... Dyke is from Gander to isnt he? So i could easily see him going to the cats..
Back To Back Herder Champs 08-09/09-10
Goooooooooooo Bous Gooooooooo!!

seein stars

Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:44 pm

Danny. wrote:If dyke comes out west i can see him going to the cats, i hear rodi short willl be going to the shore so dyke would be his replacement... Dyke is from Gander to isnt he? So i could easily see him going to the cats..
Yes he is from gander but he likes it here and his has a girlfriend from around here I think.
A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.” –Wayne Gretzky

Gamby

Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:50 pm

Someone told me they were talking to Dyke and he said he was staying with the stars
Champions are made from something deep inside them, a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last minute stamina, they have to be a little bit faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill

seein stars

Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:16 pm

I wouldn't doubt it. He likes it here and likes the guys he's playing with. good bunch!!!!

breakers21

Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:01 pm

Gamby wrote:Someone told me they were talking to Dyke and he said he was staying with the stars
Ya and it also said in the The Telegram too he was staying with the Cee bees too
Last edited by breakers21 on Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2 5 and a 10

Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:29 pm

is there a link we can see what he said?

Face off

Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:10 pm

Dont count out Tobin AND Dyke coming to Clarenville next season :smile:

breakers21

Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:29 pm

SPORTS View comments (2) | View latest comment |

Last updated at 8:59 AM on 12/12/09

Conception Bay North CeeBee Stars’ defenceman Mike Dyke.

Dyke stops flood of players going west
Content to play with CeeBee Stars, 'good group of guys, good organization'

KENN OLIVER
The Telegram

Over the summer, Conception Bay North senior hockey fans watched as several marquee CeeBee Stars players bolted the Avalon East Senior Hockey League for the greenbacks of the West Coast senior circuit.

Among those headed for Grand Falls-Windsor were scoring siblings Ryan and Keith Delaney, sniper Sean Wadden and rearguard Mike Stevens.

And for much of August and into September, CeeBees' defenceman Mike Dyke was rumoured to be joining the Deer Lake Red Wings.

"I thought about it a lot during the summer, and I was talking to Deer Lake and we were pretty deep in conversation," Dyke explains.

"But at the end of the day, it's not always about the money. You need a good group of guys and a good organization too. The CeeBees are a great young teem and I know we're still going to be good for years to come."

Gander product

Dyke, a product of the Gander Minor Hockey Association, played his junior hockey with the Amherst Ramblers of the Maritime junior A league. Once finished junior following the 2004-05 season, Dyke was set to return home intent on getting a game of senior hockey. Through then-CeeBees Paul Brown, Peter George and Ryan Delaney, he was put in contact with CeeBees' blueliner Ian Moores.

"(He) told me to keep it hush-hush that I was coming back, and he put my name in the draft.

"Not many people knew who I was, or my background, and the CeeBees ended up getting me."

C.B.N. had been to The Telegram Herder Memorial Championship Series the previous year, falling in six games to the Red Wings. But with a few off-season moves, including the drafting of Dyke, the CeeBees won their first Herder in nearly 40 years the next season.

"We had a great team there, a bunch of great guys," Dyke recalls. "Lots of older leadership, lot of young legs and it seemed like a perfect combination.

"Everything fit in to place and we ended up winning back-to-back-to-back and I went three for three in my first three years."

Through the first half of this Avalon East season, the 6-4 Dyke continues to put in the same all-star effort which has earned him the league's top defenceman award for the past three seasons.

He's fourth in league scoring (18) and leads all players with 17 assists, a byproduct of his quarterbacking the CeeBees' nearly 25 percent power play.

Dyke's offensive prowess should come as no surprise to friends back in Gander and some former teammates in Amherst ... until halfway through his second year with the Ramblers, Dyke was a forward.

"We had some serious injuries on defense and Eddie O'Brien (now coach of the Mount Pearl H.J. Bartlett Electric Blades) wanted to try me back on the point. I didn't go back," Dyke says.

"You see the ice a lot differently ... you see the play progressing. I think I'm actually better suited as a defenceman."

Or more to the point, as CeeBees defenceman.

"I just didn't feel right leaving the boys and Harbour Grace.

"I just like being a CeeBee."

And why wouldn't he? The CeeBees are off to their usual start to the season, leading the league with eight wins and three losses.

koliver@thetelegram.com

Avalon East Hockey League

Standings

(As of Dec. 6)

Team GP W L SOL Pts

C.B.N. 11 8 3 0 16

Southern Shore 10 7 3 0 14

Mount Pearl 12 6 4 2 14

Bell Island 10 3 7 0 6

Torbay 11 3 8 0 6

Three games are scheduled in the Avalon East Senior Hockey League this weekend, beginning with a Torbay Westside Charlies Sharks-Mount Pearl H.J. Bartlett Electric Blades tilt last night at the Jack Byrne Arena.

At 7:30 tonight, the C.B.N. CeeBee Stars play host to Bell Island Wave at S.W. Moores Memorial Stadium, while on Sunday at 5:30 p.m., the CeeBees visit Southern Shore Arena in Mobile for a game against the Ocean Choice Breakers.

12/12/09

Comments:
This Conversation is Moderated. What is moderation?
What does moderation mean?
The Telegram is committed to encouraging intelligent discourse among our readers and to creating a forum where diverse views and opinions on a wide range of topics can be aired. The forum you are in now is a result of our continuing efforts to facilitate a dynamic online conversation among our readers.

This is a moderated conversation. Once a reader follows the steps to register and submit his or her comment it goes to a moderator for the website. Once it has been approved, your comment will be displayed on the website. A comment may be edited or deleted for reasons of content or language.

All readers wishing to join a conversation must first sign in and agree to the Terms of Usage, which explain the rules of acceptable content.

game from NL writes: Nice Read:

D_yke eager to make the trek west to join Red Wings
CBN Star says lure of competition, fans, money provides lots of incentive to east coast players

DEER LAKE
JAMIE BENNETT
The Western Star

When action gets underway in the West Coast Senior Hockey league this season, Mike D+yke is confident he’ll be wearing a Deer Lake Red Wings jersey.

D-yke is currently property of the Conception Bay North CeeBee Stars but Red Wings general manager Andy Brake has openly expressed his desire to add the rangy defenceman to his lineup. While he admits the feeling is mutual, D-yke said there remains a number of bridges to cross before his move west becomes official.

“There’s still a lot that’s got to happen yet with CBN regarding releases and other details like that,” D=yke told The Western Star Thursday. “But that is my goal to be with Deer Lake. We’re getting close. I don’t want to say for sure yet because who knows what will happen, but I’m pretty optimistic.”

With brothers Ryan and Keith Delaney and standout players such as Sean Wadden and Matthew Thomey rumored to be joining the Grand Falls-Windsor Cataracts, it appears the perennial powerhouse Avalon East squad will have a drastically different look this season.

Making top dollar
D=yke said given the fact that the west coast league has a better overall product, more money and better fan support, it’s hard for top players such as himself to resist the urge to switch leagues.

“I’ve been there the past four years playing just for the love of the game, and I look out on the west coast and all these players are making top dollar and all that,” he said. “It’s just really hard to pass up. I mean I love playing for CBN, I love the fans and the organization, but there comes a time in your life when you’ve got to start looking out for yourself too.”

D=yke said while the CeeBees will obviously miss the players who have jumped ship, there’s enough talent both in the organization and the league as a whole to allow senior hockey to continue on the east coast.

“It probably won’t be as good as the west league but it will still be a decent league,” he said. “I know Bell Island and Mount Pearl are going to have better teams this year and Torbay as well. It probably won’t be as highly skilled, but it will still be competitive games, and I think they’ll do all right.”

As someone who has been on the other side of a number of battles against the Red Wings over the years, the 24-year old said he’s looking forward to suiting up with the likes of Darren Langdon, Harold Druken and Ray Dalton.

“I had a chance to play against them in a couple of Herders and I know the kind of team they have, and what they needed to work on,” he said. “Me being a defenceman, I could fill a big hole there and I know they’ve got a new goalie coming who should help us pretty well.”

Pros and cons
A Gander native, Dy=ke said the notion of joining the Cataracts was also a tempting one.

“It was pretty much a toss up, I had to write down the pros and cons of each one,” he said. “It still could be in the future some time down the road, I didn’t rule it out. Right now, for me, Deer Lake is just a better fit.”

Glancing at the rosters of the other clubs and given the number of rumours floating around concerning additions to all teams, Dy=ke anticipates the west coast league will be a dogfight from start to finish this year.

“The league this year will be absolutely ridiculous if all the CBN players do get their release and go to Grand Falls,” he said. “Clarenville’s going to be strong again this year and Corner Brook’s throwing around some money so it’s going to be a great league.”

Despite playing on the other side of the island, Dy=ke is aware of the passionate fan base in Deer Lake and is looking forward to soaking in the atmosphere at the Hodder Memorial Recreation Complex.

“From what I hear the Deer Lake fans are pretty loyal, and pretty loud and noisy,” he said.

“It always feels like there’s a sixth member on the ice with you when you’ve got fans like that. Hopefully my first couple of games there I can make an impact and have them jump right on my side.”
Posted 12/12/2009 at 9:11 PM | Alert an Editor | Link to comment
ALERT US ABOUT THIS COMMENT
Please let us know if this reader's comment breaks the rules explained in the Terms of Usage and is obscene, abusive, threatening, unlawful, harassing, defamatory, profane or racially offensive by selecting the appropriate option to describe the problem.

Do not use this to complain about comments that don't break the rules, for example those comments that you disagree with or contain spelling errors or multiple postings.

Comment is inflammatory
Comment is offensive
Comment is advertising/spam

Senior Hockey Fan from St. John's, NL writes: September 4, 2009

D yke eager to make the trek west to join Red Wings

“There’s still a lot that’s got to happen yet with CBN regarding releases and other details like that,” D yke told The Western Star Thursday. “But that is my goal to be with Deer Lake. We’re getting close. I don’t want to say for sure yet because who knows what will happen, but I’m pretty optimistic.”

“It was pretty much a toss up, I had to write down the pros and cons of each one,” he said. “It still could be in the future some time down the road, I didn’t rule it out. Right now, for me, Deer Lake is just a better fit.”

December 12, 2009
But at the end of the day, it's not always about the money. You need a good group of guys and a good organization too. The CeeBees are a great young teem and I know we're still going to be good for years to come.

I just didn't feel right leaving the boys and Harbour Grace.

I just like being a CeeBee.

Bahahaha, what a joke........ I'll translate this nice and easily......... Due to school I couldn't bolt West, and hey the Cee Bee's money and the car they bought is just as good as Deer Lake's money
Posted 13/12/2009 at 11:19 PM | Alert an Editor | Link to comment
ALERT US ABOUT THIS COMMENT
Please let us know if this reader's comment breaks the rules explained in the Terms of Usage and is obscene, abusive, threatening, unlawful, harassing, defamatory, profane or racially offensive by selecting the appropriate option to describe the problem.

• Information