Congratulations St. John's Caps

East Coast Senior Hockey League - Teams include CeeBees, Breakers, Eagles, Caps & Blues
Sam Boney

Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:39 am

Congratulations to the St. John's Caps on winning the AESHL championship. Another great game by Devon O'Brien.

Pretty classless act I thought, by Torbay goalie Walsh and coach Gillingham.......refusing to shake hands with the winning team. Also, most teams remain on the ice until after the trophy presentation. To see only one Torbay player stay out there was embarrassing. Whatever happened to sportsmanship? Maybe that's a topic Gillingham can cover in his blog.

Kudos to Bradley Sheppard for showing some class by staying on the ice while all his teammates and coaching staff were sitting in the Torbay dressing room. Looked good on ya kid! :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

Hockey Eyes
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:57 am

I think that comes from a residual bitterness stemming from injuries to both one of the Cadigans and to Clark . Clarke is out with a broken bone in his hand from a slash. Also at the end of the first period in game two or three a match penalty was given to one of the Caps for something SAID at the 20.00 mark. I asked of one of the Eagles management group what was said and he said he didn't see it.
This isn't supposed to be that kind of league . It is supposed to be a league where good players can go after junior.
Having said that ...they should have stayed on the ice. Most of tyhe Caps players are just good honest hockey players.
Good to see the Cadigan boys in police uniform down behind the glass for the last period or part of it. The policing situation in St. Johns last night was such that they HAD to work . That's amateur hockey for you. Nice league ...good skills ....good crowd last night ... just over four hundred.

Sam Boney

Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:11 am

Hockey Eyes wrote:I think that comes from a residual bitterness stemming from injuries to both one of the Cadigans and to Clark . Clarke is out with a broken bone in his hand from a slash. Also at the end of the first period in game two or three a match penalty was given to one of the Caps for something SAID at the 20.00 mark. I asked of one of the Eagles management group what was said and he said he didn't see it.
This isn't supposed to be that kind of league . It is supposed to be a league where good players can go after junior.
Having said that ...they should have stayed on the ice. Most of tyhe Caps players are just good honest hockey players.
Good to see the Cadigan boys in police uniform down behind the glass for the last period or part of it. The policing situation in St. Johns last night was such that they HAD to work . That's amateur hockey for you. Nice league ...good skills ....good crowd last night ... just over four hundred.
I know bitterness is part of the game but I think Gillie and Walsh should've put on their "big girl panties", sucked it up and gone out there and shook hands. It was a decent crowd, a lot of which were kids wearing Caps and Eagles jerseys. Obviously these kids look up to those players so you can only imagine what message Gillingham and Walsh sent with their actions.

Hockey Eyes

Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:15 pm

I can't disagree with that. I understand Gillingham a but I wonder what Walsh's problem is. Anyway ...just wait till next year ..The Eagles need a goal keeper and a good centre . Also if i had anything to do with the team which I don't I would be asking Shane Gamberg if he was looking for a game of hockey .
I was talking to the father of Richards from Bell Island at the first game of the series . He said he thought goal tending and intimidation would be the reasons why the Caps would win and he was right. Eagles players take Druken to the boards and they kinds of ease him into them.

noordinaryjoe

Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:52 pm

Why would you try to pick up Shane Gamberg hockey eyes?

Also, seems like Kenny Mahoney had a pretty solid season. I know the Ceebees had him for a few games at the beginning of last year, think he could be a regular in an NLSHL lineup next season?

Hockey Eyes

Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:42 pm

Kenny Mahoney had a GREAT season . A hat trick Friday night. There are a lot of players in the AESHL who could play in the NSHL but who choose not to . The Cadigans with the Eagles . Certainly Kyle Downer with the Caps ...Kenny Pennell with Mount Pearl . They could all play and lots more .What I find about the AESHL is that it is really skilled on the first line but drops off quickly.
As for Shane Gamberg he would give the Eagles toughness plus he is a good " fit" because he is a graduate of the Celtics system ...which so many of the Rona Eagles are, they should be called the Rona Celtics.

chesterfriedchicken

Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:21 pm

Hockey Eyes wrote:Kenny Mahoney had a GREAT season . A hat trick Friday night. There are a lot of players in the AESHL who could play in the NSHL but who choose not to . The Cadigans with the Eagles . Certainly Kyle Downer with the Caps ...Kenny Pennell with Mount Pearl . They could all play and lots more .What I find about the AESHL is that it is really skilled on the first line but drops off quickly.
As for Shane Gamberg he would give the Eagles toughness plus he is a good " fit" because he is a graduate of the Celtics system ...which so many of the Rona Eagles are, they should be called the Rona Celtics.
the only team Kenny Pennell could crack in the NSHL is Mt. Pearl. He had his chance with them, Gander, and the Ceebees and couldn't make either. I doubt GF or CB would pay for his flights to and from on the weekends either. Mahoney yes, but he's an offensive player. He isn't good enough to play on any teams first two lines in the NSHL, so do you think he's going to play a defensive role on a team? Honestly? Daniel could crack the lineup for any team, James, for sure could play, but see comments on Mahoney.

As for the "lots" others, we'll see next year if MT. Pearl do put their team back in the NSHL, because all of the players they had the year before won't be back, they'll need someone to fill roster spots. I can't imagine many of the Mt. pearl Jr's that are graduating are in any rush to get back playing for Brian Cranford after he quit on them.

Oh and your comment on the "just over 400" at the game. It was stated many were kids from both the Eagles and Caps. Just a tip for you, they all got in for free, so how many out of 400 paid?

Hockey Eyes

Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:50 am

I have no idea about the paid attendance . I just know how many were in the rink . On the Mount Pearl issue I don't think Mount Pearl will be back in the NSHL next year . On the chance3 that they were i would not expect many from the AESHL to play with them. That is a different league. The Mount pearl team is basically teams that have come through the Mount Pearl system and played junior in Mount Pearl and are looking to continue playing hockey while they work/ go to school . Mount Pearl Blades still own its players from last year. They can play for money for Mount Pearl or chose not to play at all. I think the point is academic though because Mount Pearl are still looking for volunteers and the holding seat sale which was supposed to be in March to test interest didn't happen. Also the ten thousand dollars the Blades were awarded with the Ceebees from the last year they participated in the AESHL has been held up by an appeal of the court decision. Hope any or all of this is helpful.

Sam Boney

Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:33 am

As a Blades fan I have to agree with you that it's highly unlikely you'll see a Blades team in the NSHL next year. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think so.

• Information