Will there be a league this year???

NL Major Midget "AAA" - St. John's Maple Leafs, Western Kings, Central IcePak, and the Northern Huskies.
geoela
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:41 am

To Nlfann...Let me fill you in on some other facts that you conveniently left out.
First, the Gander HS hockey team had practiced every Tuesday and Thursday night for about 20 years, or since they started in the league. When the AAA team decided on Thursday night for their one practice a week, the Gander HS coaches were very accomodating. They then met with the AAA coaches to discuss this. This is what was agreed on originally by both sides;

AAA practice and HS practice on same night...AAA kids are to go to AAA practice
AAA game and HS game on same night.........AAA kids are to go to AAA game
AAA practice and HS game on same night......AAA kids are to go to HS game

This was agreed on first...then the AAA guys changed this agreement on their own without consultation with the HS.
So, this is why I say the HS coaches were more than accomodating to the AAA coaches and AAA program.

Second, you say the Gander coaches decided they couldn't attend a AAAA tournament because of a practice. Well, the Gander coaches were more that willing to go to the Confederation Cup tournament (not AAAA like you said)without the AAA kids, knowing full well that they would get their lips. The AAA coaches wanted the kids at their AAA practice. So much for the original agreement. Imagine...how childish does a so-called man have to be to threaten a group of kids into attending a practice over going to a Condederation Cup hockey tournament to compete and have fun with their schoolmates. (yes I said have fun...amazing hey? Have fun playing hockey...wow) In this case, both HNL and the school should have gotten involved and gotten rid of the a**holes who would threaten such a thing. The Gander HS coaches didn't kick up a fuss at all...us parents wanted them to by they were too though.

Third, I know that AAA hockey costs about $5000.00 a year to play, but, the HS hockey used to cost each kid (in Gander) $1200.00. The cost is one thing, but kids of all skill levels love playing their HS hockey with their friends that they grew up with, went to school with, and played minor hockey with. To have that taken away is cruel. And for what really...for total childishness, that's what. I fully support AAA hockey. I think the program COULD be a good one. But, there has to be some level headedness by the coaches in situations...give and take. When there is a solution found, don't go off on your own and do things your own way. Be men and honor the agreements. The AAA staff that year were totally unreasonable. They put the kids in terrible positions many times. The HS coaches were more than willing to cooperate. It is a funny thing that when Canning took over the next year, he had plans to accomodate HS hockey. If he could do it, then so could the others.

geoela

Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:04 am

Well Fanof Habs, if a kid wants to play both, and it is totally possible for him/her to play both with a little cooperation and common sense from his/her coaches, then they should play all the hockey they want to play. If you were paying loads of money for your kid to play AAA and HS hockey, and he/she wanted to go to a HS tournament, or just one game as opposed to a practice, don't you think the one game or full tournament would be more beneficial than attending that one practice? I think so. Especially in this case. The hockey the kids got at the Confederation Cup was awesome.
When the kids from GFW also decided to go to the Confederation Cup tournament that year, the coaches cancelled the practice in question. It was only then that the kids from Gander decided to attend. They had a great time, and an awesome showing at the tournament, right up to the semi finals, when there was a clash in the schedule with a AAA game. The Gander coaches, with class, advised the kids to go to the AAA game against the Fog Devils instead of playing in the semi finals of the HS tournament. (as per the original agreement)

By the way, the next game of the tournament was delayed. They had to wait for the Fog Devil players, who had just played the Central AAA team, to arrive. Now that's accomodating!!!

FanOfHabs

Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:02 am

geoela, if high school hockey means that much to anyone, then they shouldn't play major midget. They should spare their parent's the cost of midget AAA and just play high school. There's nothing wrong with just playing high school with your buddies, but anyone who chooses this route also has to accept they are not going to major junior or to an NCAA school.

If a player has aspirations of going to Major junior or NCAA, he has to put major midget first every time. Guys I know who made it to the Q or NCAA certainly wouldn't skip a major midget practice for a high school game, even if it was the Confederation Cup or the AAAA tournament. They didn't see missing these games as an act of cruelty, they saw it as a necessary sacrifice, a sacrifice they were willing to make since their long-term goal was not a gold medal at the Confederation Cup, but a spot on a major junior or NCAA roster.

I'll be honest with you, I'm shocked major midget coaches have to be so accomodating for high school hockey. Maybe I'm getting old, but I know that players my age would not create such a situation. If they played major midget, that team came before high school or any other team they played on. Skipping major midget for a high school game didn't even cross people's minds at one point, I can't beleive it does now.

Forgive my ranting, like I said, I must be getting old.

Blast97

Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:12 pm

I see where your coming from FanofHabs I mean yes you have a better shot at going somewhere in AAA. But in saying that you think the there are no scouts at the AAAA HS tournament, of Confederation cup? Hell yes there is, mostly due to the fact that not all parents can afford to put there son in AAA, so they play HS and the scouts don't want to miss out. So one practice missed doesn't seem to be a big deal.

I can tell you one thing as well, I have coached JR B and will do so again this year, if I happen to have a HS player on this team or Midget and we have a practice or even a regular season game and this comes up, say AAAA or Provincials then I would want that player to go. Because chances are that this player if playing JR or AAA in the case here is prob one of the better HS players on his team and would benefit from all the ice time and PP and PK.....Welllll thats my 2 cents worth take it of leave it.

geoela

Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:34 pm

Blast, excellent points, all of them. It is very obvious you are a real hockey guy. Fan, I don't know your age, you could be around the same age as myself, but, when Mike Dyke, Doug Hardiman, Kenny Elliot, and many other awesome players played at around 16, they played both AAA and HS. (and house league, and whatever else they could play) It was encouraged. And there was great cooperation between both sets of coaches. Coaching hockey is almost, if not as bad as reffing hockey. It is very tough. I just think adults should be able to get together on things for the sake of kids. Also, I don't agree with your take on skipping AAA to play HS if your asperations aren't all that high. Blast summed it up very well for me on that one. Thanks Blast. By the way, just read a post about you playing with DL. Good luck. Will be out watching every game I can.

hockeyguy7

Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:08 pm

you dont have to play AAA to make teams you just have to be seen playing

InTheFog

Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:18 pm

hockeyguy7 wrote:you dont have to play AAA to make teams you just have to be seen playing
The scouts that I know go to the AAA games only.

geoela

Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:30 pm

You obviously don't know all the scouts. The Confederation Cup has always been scouted. You would be surprised to know how many ears and eyes are honed in on more that just AAA. There are lots of advisers out there, friends of friends in high places so to speak. Like Alan Andrews of Andrews Hockey and Don Cherry both said, ...if you're good enough and want to play, we will find you...I believe this to be true. And besides, I know lots of kids who don't want to make it to the NHL, Q, or even JR A, but they do enjoy playing at the higher levels like AAA as well as HS. There is nothing wrong with that. I also know many kids in central who could make this Central AAA team a whole lot better, but they choose not to play AAA. It is always each kids own choice what they want to play.

FanOfHabs

Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:31 pm

Guys, the Confederation Cup is not scouted by very many scouts.

At last year's Confederation Cup, I know of one scout who watched any games, and the reason he was there is because he was the coach of one of the teams playing in the tournament. I spoke with a couple of QMJHL scouts about the Confederation Cup a few years ago and they both said they have never watched a single game of Confederation Cup hockey. They said if a player is so good that he can go on to play in the Q, then they will see him play Major Midget.

The reason scouts don't watch high school hockey is they feel it isn't a way to get an accurate read on a player because he could be up against vastly inferior competition. The scouts prefer to see guys play major midget or even Junior B.

I don't know who said it, but someone wrote that all you have to do is be seen by a scout. That is partially true. But to be seen by a scout, you have to play where the scouts watch. And the scouts I know don't watch high school hockey.

I should add that outstanding high school and even Doug Marshall league players do have some Jr. A scouts on their trail, but QMJHL guys ignore hig school hockey and the DMHL all together.

hockeyguy7

Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:17 am

there are various scouts that many Jr teams have in the province there have been players even this year who were drafted to Jr Teams that played AAA but felt the level of competiveness was not there so they stoped playing AAA and just High school there was one player that this happend to in the past MJAHL draft he and made the team so its not all about the AAA players scouts look for because the majority of the players that are playing it now are either in it because there parents have the money or because they know someone

• Information