Games This Weekend

AHL Hockey - St. John's Ice Caps discussion.
InTheFog
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:46 pm

Given the fact that this team has 5000 season ticket holdes I am surprised at the activity at this end of the board.

Anyway Friday night the team put in a good effort but unfortunately were on the wrong end of the score. Aebischer was the problem then but last night the game was great and Klingberg was by far the best player along with King. Looks like McCambridge might have a problem of what to do in the net because Mannino is clearly the better goalie but Aebischer wants to get back in the NHL.

gallerygod

Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:22 pm

I could rant on and on. But I'll be brief. It's going to be a painful season. Remember True North bought the Atlanta Thrashers and its easy to see why. If Atlanta was successful they would not be for sale. Enough said. There has been a clear enough benchmark set on the Jets and IceCaps. Both had home openers against the Canadiens system and they were outscored combined 7 to 1. The parent club has players who can't find the barn door let alone the net. How many times were they in close on Price and shot high or wide. As for their farm team, an 0 for 10 power play is cause for concern.
As for King being one of their best players, he should be with all the family and friends watching. But if he wants back in the show--do something on the road and right now for King the first weekend on the road could be summed up as diddly and squat. Remember when King was the Mooseheads, he caught the pros attention when he caught fire on a long road trip.
But I do have a concern about this team. I listened to an interview on CBC Thursday with two players. It was nothing short of condescending. One of them compared St.John's to Sudbury. Got to remember some of these guys played last year for Atlanta's farm team --the Chicago Wolves and lets call it like it is, St.John's ain't no Chicago. And when it came to their assessment of Mile One..One of the players said it was one of the better rinks. Not the best rink. Someone in the front office is not doing their job when it comes to having players promote the product.

InTheFog

Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:00 pm

gallerygod wrote:I could rant on and on. But I'll be brief. It's going to be a painful season. Remember True North bought the Atlanta Thrashers and its easy to see why. If Atlanta was successful they would not be for sale. Enough said. There has been a clear enough benchmark set on the Jets and IceCaps. Both had home openers against the Canadiens system and they were outscored combined 7 to 1. The parent club has players who can't find the barn door let alone the net. How many times were they in close on Price and shot high or wide. As for their farm team, an 0 for 10 power play is cause for concern.
As for King being one of their best players, he should be with all the family and friends watching. But if he wants back in the show--do something on the road and right now for King the first weekend on the road could be summed up as diddly and squat. Remember when King was the Mooseheads, he caught the pros attention when he caught fire on a long road trip.
But I do have a concern about this team. I listened to an interview on CBC Thursday with two players. It was nothing short of condescending. One of them compared St.John's to Sudbury. Got to remember some of these guys played last year for Atlanta's farm team --the Chicago Wolves and lets call it like it is, St.John's ain't no Chicago. And when it came to their assessment of Mile One..One of the players said it was one of the better rinks. Not the best rink. Someone in the front office is not doing their job when it comes to having players promote the product.
gallerygod who were the two players?

gallerygod

Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:29 pm

for the love of me can't remeber their names. All I can say is one is a centre the other was a defenseman. One played for the Sudbury Wolves and the other comes from the Hamilton, Ontario area. Its a start.

InTheFog

Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:49 pm

That's not good gallerygod that they were like that. When the Leafs were here I don't remember much of that and a lot of them came back here to live and married girls from here too. Mike Minard was another one who loved it here too. He will be here a week from Tuesday coming as he is the goalie coach for the Portland Pirates.

It was Ben Chiatot and Eric O'Dell. O'Dell played for Sudbury. I am wondering if he las NL roots as there is lots of O'Dells in Yvonne Jones' district of Cartwright-L'Anse Au Clair.

gallerygod

Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:00 am

Ever watch the movie Bull Durham. The part where Kevin Costner teaches Tim Robbins how to conduct an interview. i seriously don't think the IceCaps have such a person in their front office to do just that. I remember in the old St.John's Maple Leaf days there was an NHL organization who had someone on the farm team sit in on an interview the Telgram conducted and provided the Telegram with an interpreter because the paper wanted to interview a Russian. That team was on the road in St.John's.
When it came to the interview on CBC. The question how do you like St.John's. The answer should have been it's a great city with great hockey fans. Not it's a lot like Sudbury. p.s. I've been to Sudbury many a time and it took decades to clean up that dump. Also when asked how do you like Mile One, the answer should have been its the best rink in the AHL with the best fans. Not its one of the better rinks.

civic

Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:50 am

you two guys were on here a while ago saying that the Ice caps were going to kill Senior... yet the two of you are having a conversation by yourselfs reguarding the inaugral season of the icecaps. there been more talk about training camps in senior hockey on here than the AHL Icecaps home opener . from VOCM post earlier this week i believe they said the crowd was very quiet and the opening ceremonies were lacking the bang for an inaugral opening season.

Enjoy your chats boys

InTheFog

Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:05 am

gallerygod wrote:Ever watch the movie Bull Durham. The part where Kevin Costner teaches Tim Robbins how to conduct an interview. i seriously don't think the IceCaps have such a person in their front office to do just that. I remember in the old St.John's Maple Leaf days there was an NHL organization who had someone on the farm team sit in on an interview the Telgram conducted and provided the Telegram with an interpreter because the paper wanted to interview a Russian. That team was on the road in St.John's.
When it came to the interview on CBC. The question how do you like St.John's. The answer should have been it's a great city with great hockey fans. Not it's a lot like Sudbury. p.s. I've been to Sudbury many a time and it took decades to clean up that dump. Also when asked how do you like Mile One, the answer should have been its the best rink in the AHL with the best fans. Not its one of the better rinks.
True on all points gallerygod. Say what you like about the Leafs but they are one well oiled machine with regards to running the organization in that way right from the NHL on down.

As for the crowd on Saturday civic the place was rockin' on Saturday night.

ceebeesfreak44

Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:49 pm

InTheFog wrote:
gallerygod wrote:Ever watch the movie Bull Durham. The part where Kevin Costner teaches Tim Robbins how to conduct an interview. i seriously don't think the IceCaps have such a person in their front office to do just that. I remember in the old St.John's Maple Leaf days there was an NHL organization who had someone on the farm team sit in on an interview the Telgram conducted and provided the Telegram with an interpreter because the paper wanted to interview a Russian. That team was on the road in St.John's.
True on all points gallerygod. Say what you like about the Leafs but they are one well oiled machine with regards to running the organization in that way right from the NHL on down.

As for the crowd on Saturday civic the place was rockin' on Saturday night.
Even got the wave on the go
GO CEEBEES GO

Ben

Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:02 pm

gallerygod wrote:I could rant on and on. But I'll be brief. It's going to be a painful season. Remember True North bought the Atlanta Thrashers and its easy to see why. If Atlanta was successful they would not be for sale. Enough said. There has been a clear enough benchmark set on the Jets and IceCaps. Both had home openers against the Canadiens system and they were outscored combined 7 to 1. The parent club has players who can't find the barn door let alone the net. How many times were they in close on Price and shot high or wide. As for their farm team, an 0 for 10 power play is cause for concern.
Too bad some people are so negative because we've got a great product here. It's easy enough to grumble about the power play on Friday but let's not forget that the IceCaps doubled them in shots and Lawson played on his head. Also, King scored on Saturday.

You have been whining about the AHL ever since they made this thread. If you don't like it why not ignore it :roll:

• Information