Newfoundland All-stars

Central West Senior Hockey League discussions - Clarenville Caribous, Grand Falls Windsor Cataracts & Gander Flyers.
superfan
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:55 pm

... and Tomcod how are ya ?

canonball

Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:33 am

No club team from the island will be competitive at the AC play down as it now stands , but as an allstar team made up of just locals from here we can be competitive and yes can win this .. With the restrictions each team has regarding pickup of players they can`t be competitive and this is the right way to go for our league because you will have a team or two that is too power full ...

Wade

Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:00 pm

canonball wrote:No club team from the island will be competitive at the AC play down as it now stands , but as an allstar team made up of just locals from here we can be competitive and yes can win this .. With the restrictions each team has regarding pickup of players they can`t be competitive and this is the right way to go for our league because you will have a team or two that is too power full ...
I think they would be competitive. Just like the Generals were competitive this year without bringing affiliate players.

This is (supposedly) the highest level championship a SR hockey team can win in Canada...therefore...sure...there are going to be years where a tremendous team shows up and they simply cannot be touched by anyone else in the tournament. The Gens' felt that kind of futility in 2004 when they played the St George Garaga. It happens.

There are also years where the dead last team in the tournament is so terrible they don't even look like they deserve their own dressing room and you want to tell them lace up in the mop room where they belong. It happens.

But...there is no reason why the ATL Rep can't expect to be reasonably competitive...with a reasonable chance to win on most years...without using AP's...and without qualifying their team a full year in advance.

Now...it should go without saying...but...I'll say it anyways...OF COURSE all the other teams in the tournament would also need to play with their TRUE rosters. No other teams should be brining AP's either.

And finally...it realty comes down to "purity of teams" to me (and many others). Its not about who is stronger or who is weaker with/without AP's. There are still plenty of flexible rules to allow ALL teams to build a strong SR AAA roster without using other teams players.

Tomcod

Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:30 pm

Wade wrote:
canonball wrote:No club team from the island will be competitive at the AC play down as it now stands , but as an allstar team made up of just locals from here we can be competitive and yes can win this .. With the restrictions each team has regarding pickup of players they can`t be competitive and this is the right way to go for our league because you will have a team or two that is too power full ...
I think they would be competitive. Just like the Generals were competitive this year without bringing affiliate players.

This is (supposedly) the highest level championship a SR hockey team can win in Canada...therefore...sure...there are going to be years where a tremendous team shows up and they simply cannot be touched by anyone else in the tournament. The Gens' felt that kind of futility in 2004 when they played the St George Garaga. It happens.

There are also years where the dead last team in the tournament is so terrible they don't even look like they deserve their own dressing room and you want to tell them lace up in the mop room where they belong. It happens.

But...there is no reason why the ATL Rep can't expect to be reasonably competitive...with a reasonable chance to win on most years...without using AP's...and without qualifying their team a full year in advance.

Now...it should go without saying...but...I'll say it anyways...OF COURSE all the other teams in the tournament would also need to play with their TRUE rosters. No other teams should be brining AP's either.

And finally...it realty comes down to "purity of teams" to me (and many others). Its not about who is stronger or who is weaker with/without AP's. There are still plenty of flexible rules to allow ALL teams to build a strong SR AAA roster without using other teams players.

Hey Wade , you seem like a very sore loser to me... some of the statements you have made on here leads me to believe that you have a one tract mind....

Its laughable that you are saying the NL team are too strong ,, well in reality NL has won the Allan Cup the grand total of twice lol...

The very reason the atlantic provinces stopped competing for the cup was because we were playing against a stacked deck....your mainland teams are allowed to stack your teams with imports who are mostly expros from anywhere in canada , whereas NSHL teams are only allowed a few imports ( CARIBOUR TWO IMPORTS )That is why NL are allowed to add APs to put us on a level playing field with the rest of the teams .. Case in point Terry Ryan played with your Bentley Generals...

Build a bridge Wade & get over it .. you cant win them all... stay tuned ....

The Voice

Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:07 pm

smogdog wrote:hey voice why dont you get together with some of your st johns friends and put a team together for next yr and tell us how that works out for you
Has you must be aware a big percentage of players in the NLSHL are from St John's, those players plus the ones living in St Johns and don't want to play in the NLSHL and those playing on the mainland, there is no doubt that St Johns could ice a very competitive team using all local players. But like most of the country ( NS,NB, QUE, PEI ) the interest in senior hockey and Allan cup play is just not there.

Wade

Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:13 pm

Tomcod,

Where have you heard me say the Clarenville team was "too strong"?

Tomcod

Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:52 pm

Wade wrote:Tomcod,

Hey Wade , then whats your problem ?? Those rules that we play under werent made up by the Atlantic Provinces... we just play within the rules the same as everyone else does ... if you arent happy with the rules get them changed & go back to no Atlantic teams competing.. By the way im not a CARIBOUS fan, im a CATARACTS fan ... stay tuned ....

Wade

Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:26 pm

Tomcod wrote:
Wade wrote:Tomcod,

Hey Wade , then whats your problem ?? Those rules that we play under werent made up by the Atlantic Provinces... we just play within the rules the same as everyone else does ... if you arent happy with the rules get them changed & go back to no Atlantic teams competing.. By the way im not a CARIBOUS fan, im a CATARACTS fan ... stay tuned ....
The problem is that until the Allan Cup has legitimate teams competing under a legitimate constitution...were going to be eternally stuck in this unappealing mayhem we've got going right now.

The Allan Cup needs to be about the VERY BEST among all SR hockey teams competing for a TRUE National Championship.

There is a lot that needs to be done in order to get there...from where it is right now...but...this is one major issue for sure.

Tomcod

Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:28 pm

Well Wade i respectly suggest that you start with the mainland teams ... get rid of all the ex NHLERS , ex Ahlers & Expros period & make it a true amature tornnament ... until you can do that dont complain about a FEW pickup players that the atlantic provinces are allowed to play under the exsiting rules ... stay tuned ....

Catch 22

Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:22 pm

Tomcod wrote:Well Wade i respectly suggest that you start with the mainland teams ... get rid of all the ex NHLERS , ex Ahlers & Expros period & make it a true amature tornnament ... until you can do that dont complain about a FEW pickup players that the atlantic provinces are allowed to play under the exsiting rules ... stay tuned ....
Tomcod... great point... Bentley goes out and signs half of Western Canada to play for them and there's no problem until they get embarrassed by team Atlantic... This guy is a joke...

Funny he has no problem with 7 ex-PRO's playing for Dundas in an amateur tourney.. Perhaps if they made it to the Championship that's the song he would be singing...

• Information