East vs West Herder Final in 2015

Central West Senior Hockey League discussions - Clarenville Caribous, Grand Falls Windsor Cataracts & Gander Flyers.
Toiletbowl
What colour is a puck?: black

Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:55 pm

Bogeyman, you make it seem like when there was a two fight rule a few years back that no one watched. It was also sold out every night.

bogeyman

Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:04 am

Toiletbowl wrote:Bogeyman, you make it seem like when there was a two fight rule a few years back that no one watched. It was also sold out every night.
Hmmmm..... strange response given that I made no such comment anywhere. Never suggested no one watched years ago. Defy you to point out where I said that. I also never even mentioned the two fight rule. I'm also curious what you mean by "it was sold out every night. " What was? I don't mind a sensible debate and well reasoned difference of opinion but it's difficult to engage when you disagree with things I didn't say.

Caribous insider

Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:24 pm

bogeyman wrote:
Toiletbowl wrote:Bogeyman, you make it seem like when there was a two fight rule a few years back that no one watched. It was also sold out every night.
Hmmmm..... strange response given that I made no such comment anywhere. Never suggested no one watched years ago. Defy you to point out where I said that. I also never even mentioned the two fight rule. I'm also curious what you mean by "it was sold out every night. " What was? I don't mind a sensible debate and well reasoned difference of opinion but it's difficult to engage when you disagree with things I didn't say.
:lol:

Hockey

Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:15 pm

Hey Hockey , i saw a good many games between the Breakers & the Cee Bees ... neither of those teams would win a game against the west teams ... stay tuned ...
Gee Tomcat,

I must be losing my mind getting Dementia or something. I thought it was only the year before last that the Cee Bees put out the heavily favoured Cats and then swept the Caribous of Clarenville. Correct me on this , I must have dreamt it.

Outside of GFW and Clarenville, attendance was great nowhere this year. When you attend a herder game in your own barn and get out cheered by the opposing team, that says a lot. That never happened in Hr. Grace now did it.

There is a differencve between better players and better hockey Bogeyman. The St. John's Maple Leafs in their last years stunk the joint out but they were obviously more skilled than the local leagues but the local leagues were by far more entertaining.

What should be done but won't by HNL is the west coast play for their own trophy (a semi-pro kind of league) and the east play for their trophy the Herder which for years symbolized amateur hockey in the province. Finally, dont even bother having a east -west final. The west with their imports will win easily and you guys tell me thats better hockey. Give me a break.

bogeyman

Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:40 pm

Hockey wrote:
Hey Hockey , i saw a good many games between the Breakers & the Cee Bees ... neither of those teams would win a game against the west teams ... stay tuned ...
Gee Tomcat,

I must be losing my mind getting Dementia or something. I thought it was only the year before last that the Cee Bees put out the heavily favoured Cats and then swept the Caribous of Clarenville. Correct me on this , I must have dreamt it.

Outside of GFW and Clarenville, attendance was great nowhere this year. When you attend a herder game in your own barn and get out cheered by the opposing team, that says a lot. That never happened in Hr.

There is a differencve between better players and better hockey Bogeyman. The St. John's Maple Leafs in their last years stunk the joint out but they were obviously more skilled than the local leagues but the local leagues were by far more entertaining.

What should be done but won't by HNL is the west coast play for their own trophy (a semi-pro kind of league) and the east play for their trophy the Herder which for years symbolized amateur hockey in the province. Finally, dont even bother having a east -west final. The west with their imports will win easily and you guys tell me thats better hockey. Give me a break.
Are you deliberately misrepresenting what I said or do you honestly just not understand? Two different leagues. Two different philosophies. The west draws fans. The East doesn't. Only the Cats and Caribous had good attendance? Ever been to a game? Even the Royals who struggled in Deer Lake drew multiple . Hundreds of more fans that any team in east league. If the locals in the AESHL are so entertaining why does nobody bother to go watch them? My other point was that paid players and imports have played for the Herder since the 50's. Nothing new. These are irrefutable facts and not merely opinion. The only opinion I offered was that I personally preferred to watch skilled players regardless of where they came from. I guess that can also be considered as fact add well. It IS what I prefer. You are entitled to have another preference.

Hockey Eyes

Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:34 am

The Central West will be allowed to play for the Herder I expect because HNL won't let hockey dioe with the Allan Cup coming here. I expect a Newfoundland team to win it because I expect teams that compete from elsewhere won't have the money to move a whole team across the country.
After this season I expect the Herder will go back to a trophy for the AESHL because it is a truly amateur league . It is type of league that Herder was meant for. That won't be an HNL decision but more a "Herder family" preference.
I will conclude with something I posted some time ago . The next team to win the Herder that isn't Clarenville or Grand Falls will be the Rona Eagles or the Caps or maybe the CeeBees of the AESHL. I just hope they don't succumb to temptation and start paying players. They have lots of money right now from sponsors to run a great skilled amateur league.

bogeyman

Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:47 am

Is there an actual official definition of an amateur vs professional hockey player provided by Hockey Canada or the IIHF or any other hockey organization. Golf for instance has a very clear definition of "professional" status for a player but I haven't been able to find anything comparable in the world of hockey. I know lots of people have differing opinions and toss the word around pretty felt but I would like to know if there is an official definition anywhere.

StevieY

Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:46 pm

During HNL annual meeting last week Mr. Russell a life member of HNL and I think he is also a past Chair of Hockey Canada was asked his opinion on the status Senior Hockey during the senior council meetings. He said something to the fact that there is a good semi-pro league and a good competitive league but if we try to have both play each other we are setting ourselves up for disaster. In my humble opinion this statement clearly points out that one of the leagues he is referring to is indeed a semi–pro ant not amateur.

geoguy

Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:19 pm

Hockey Eyes wrote:The Central West will be allowed to play for the Herder I expect because HNL won't let hockey dioe with the Allan Cup coming here. I expect a Newfoundland team to win it because I expect teams that compete from elsewhere won't have the money to move a whole team across the country.
After this season I expect the Herder will go back to a trophy for the AESHL because it is a truly amateur league . It is type of league that Herder was meant for. That won't be an HNL decision but more a "Herder family" preference.
I will conclude with something I posted some time ago . The next team to win the Herder that isn't Clarenville or Grand Falls will be the Rona Eagles or the Caps or maybe the CeeBees of the AESHL. I just hope they don't succumb to temptation and start paying players. They have lots of money right now from sponsors to run a great skilled amateur league.
Why after making a well thought out post do you have to put a spin on things where you try to throw in a suttle implication that anyone outside the home of integrity I.e. AESHL are involved in unscrupulous actions. Your good at saying things on your keyboard that you don't actually have to say.
Go Cats GO
2011 WCSHL Regular Season Champs
2011 WCSHL Champs
2011 Herder Champs
2013 NLSHL regular season champs
2014 regular season and herder champs
2015 herder champs
2016 regular season champs
2016 cwshl champs
2017 cwshl regular season champs.

canonball

Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:49 am

Hockey Eyes wrote:The Central West will be allowed to play for the Herder I expect because HNL won't let hockey dioe with the Allan Cup coming here. I expect a Newfoundland team to win it because I expect teams that compete from elsewhere won't have the money to move a whole team across the country.

I wonder would you be able to tell everyone what year that there were no players paid to play hockey in the NLSHL ? . I know that I seen games back when Jack and George Faulkner played . Teams had players come in then and gave them jobs and a hefty chunk of pocket change

• Information