Gander building a Power House

Central West Senior Hockey League discussions - Clarenville Caribous, Grand Falls Windsor Cataracts & Gander Flyers.
noordinaryjoe
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:30 pm

No doubt there will be people on here who have an answer to any argument but how the Caribous 'paid their dues' back in the day and how the Flyers were to 'pay their dues' the last two years can't not be considered a legit comparison. They went through a tough first season and then they went out and bought whoever they could get; local and imports, and have been a top team ever since. You can say much the same for Grand Falls. Protecting 25 players when Gander came back in was a JOKE as your going 5 players BEYOND a starting lineup! Of course the league allowed the Flyers to talk to other players exclusively, knowing that some guys wouldnt player there and Gander would end up dealing them for lesser players to make a roster. The Bous didn't have to deal with drafts and territorial picks as Gander did, there's no comparison.

To say that it wasn't the League that wanted Gander but Gander that wanted into the League and thus they shouldn't have been given any assistance in icing a competitive team sums up why that league failed and this one won't be far behind! It's never about the best interest of the league but about the best interest of the teams!

Also funny how 6 or 7 years ago it made sense for one team to have more imports than another! Now because the Flyers were allowed more its not fair! NL senior hockey, what can ya say really!

PurpleandGold

Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:17 am

noordinaryjoe wrote:No doubt there will be people on here who have an answer to any argument but how the Caribous 'paid their dues' back in the day and how the Flyers were to 'pay their dues' the last two years can't not be considered a legit comparison. They went through a tough first season and then they went out and bought whoever they could get; local and imports, and have been a top team ever since. You can say much the same for Grand Falls. Protecting 25 players when Gander came back in was a JOKE as your going 5 players BEYOND a starting lineup! Of course the league allowed the Flyers to talk to other players exclusively, knowing that some guys wouldnt player there and Gander would end up dealing them for lesser players to make a roster. The Bous didn't have to deal with drafts and territorial picks as Gander did, there's no comparison.

To say that it wasn't the League that wanted Gander but Gander that wanted into the League and thus they shouldn't have been given any assistance in icing a competitive team sums up why that league failed and this one won't be far behind! It's never about the best interest of the league but about the best interest of the teams!

Also funny how 6 or 7 years ago it made sense for one team to have more imports than another! Now because the Flyers were allowed more its not fair! NL senior hockey, what can ya say really!
Best post ever!!! Nailed it right on the head!!

Caribous insider

Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:10 am

noordinaryjoe wrote:No doubt there will be people on here who have an answer to any argument but how the Caribous 'paid their dues' back in the day and how the Flyers were to 'pay their dues' the last two years can't not be considered a legit comparison. They went through a tough first season and then they went out and bought whoever they could get; local and imports, and have been a top team ever since. You can say much the same for Grand Falls. Protecting 25 players when Gander came back in was a JOKE as your going 5 players BEYOND a starting lineup! Of course the league allowed the Flyers to talk to other players exclusively, knowing that some guys wouldnt player there and Gander would end up dealing them for lesser players to make a roster. The Bous didn't have to deal with drafts and territorial picks as Gander did, there's no comparison.

You make some valid points but I think you missed mine.
Its not that they shouldnt have been helped......I just think they were given too much.

Also, Gander has to take some credit themselves for where they are today. Passing on Andrew Pearcey with the first draft pic the first year was unbelivable! The Cats brass still cant believe that happened. Then in the off season they trade their first pic again to the Caribous for Devon Obrien with out even knowing who was going to be in that draft. Those were terrible moves for their organization......decisions they themselves made. Again, just my opinion...... :-D

thelionsden

Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:26 am

This is about the dumbest thing i've ever seen this league do and i have been around the league for sometime. To give a team 3 FREE picks and first pick in the entry draft + more imports is an unfair injust to the other 3 teams. The Royals, Caribous and Cataracts have spent nurmous years trying to build there teams and corperate sponsorhips which takes alot of hard work and dedication. I am not saying the Flyers are not dedicated nor working hard, but you just don't build a championship team overnight.

All there other teams i'm sure will be losing players this coming season to a varity of reasons and to have the top four players going to one team in a single draft is ludicris. Am i suprised...hell no...The ruling is stupid, unfair to the other teams and reaks of desperation from a new team still in it's infancy to DEMAND this type of new found treasure.

In my opinion this falls directly on the president of the league....who from my experiences ALWAYS tries to make everyone happy....but sometime you have to do whats best for the league and not give all teams what they ask for.

titan

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:04 am

What a load of crap some of the "Hockey People" are whining about the Flyers getting a chance to ice a full team,let alone a competitive one. Here's one for ya...New League,maybe all players should have been entered into the draft and start from scratch. Why don't some of you guys look up the definition of an expansion draft and see what it says. All teams make mistakes,like the Bous keeping Churchill,JMO.

smogdog

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:08 am

i cant believe the other teams went along with it or did they have a say on anything

Caribous insider

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:39 am

titan wrote:What a load of crap some of the "Hockey People" are whining about the Flyers getting a chance to ice a full team,let alone a competitive one. Here's one for ya...New League,maybe all players should have been entered into the draft and start from scratch. Why don't some of you guys look up the definition of an expansion draft and see what it says. All teams make mistakes,like the Bous keeping Churchill,JMO.
Ya ......Churchill was terrible at the AC wasnt he!

thelionsden

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:52 am

As stated by CI...the Flyers passed on Andrew Pearcey and gave up a first round pick for a back up goaltender...those were moves made directly by the Flyers...that would be two top notch players there. And to say that the Cataracts and Caribous built there team overnight...well thats false....the Cats were Senior hockey for 9 years before they reached a herder final and made it to one other west coast final i believe in that time...it was built over time.

Yes the rules were different before the Flyers arrived (DRAFT) but all the teams were on the SAME PLAYING FIELD. These different strokes for different folkes rules were not so blatant as they are now...IE rulings on imports were a bit scetchy then...but those are left to interpetation. The way it's being done now is just a farce.

I'll leave it at this..whats done is done....May the best team win...should be a good season of hockey. And best of luck to the town of Clarenville on hosting what i think will be the BEST RAN ALLAN CUP TO DATE.

titan

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:57 am

Caribous insider wrote:
titan wrote:What a load of crap some of the "Hockey People" are whining about the Flyers getting a chance to ice a full team,let alone a competitive one. Here's one for ya...New League,maybe all players should have been entered into the draft and start from scratch. Why don't some of you guys look up the definition of an expansion draft and see what it says. All teams make mistakes,like the Bous keeping Churchill,JMO.
Who's talking about the AC? ....Oh, by the way you may have even won if the best goalie in the league had played. ....AJ in case you're wondering! !

Caribous insider

Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:53 pm

titan wrote:
Caribous insider wrote:
Who's talking about the AC? ....Oh, by the way you may have even won if the best goalie in the league had played. ....AJ in case you're wondering! !
O I C......so you blame the AC loss on Churchill! :lol: Way too funny!

• Information