East All Stars vs West Champs?

Central West Senior Hockey League discussions - Clarenville Caribous, Grand Falls Windsor Cataracts & Gander Flyers.
herder head

Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:16 pm

A friend of mine had a good suggestion about a possible format for the Herder finals that might generate more fan interest than an all west Herder final or an east champ vs west champ format. What about an east all star team to take on the west champs? I think this would eliminate the need for the east champ coach to be put into the uncomfortable situation of having to drop 5 or 6 players that were playing for him all year to make room for pickups from other teams (did the same practice cause any hard feeling for the Herder champs as they strengthed their team for the Allan Cup past few years??) and it will make for a more competitive series than if the east champs took on the west champs even though the west champ will still likely come up on top. And the east all star team should be coached by someone not coaching in the league this year in order to eliminate bias (Russ Adam and Randy Pearcey are two names that come to mind). If CBN and MP are accepted into the league it will raise the overall talent pool of the AESHL and I think this could be an option for this year's Herder finals. Thoughts?

Caribous insider
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:16 pm

That idea has already been tossed around at several HNL meetings.

HockeyDave

Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:56 pm

This will not work at all. If Mt. Pearl and the CeeBees are accepted into the Avalon East it will be with Avalon East players not the teams they iced last season in the NLSHL. All their good players will be dispersed throughout the Central West League once a dispersal draft occurs. The best players in the east would not be good enough to warm the bench of the players in the new league. There's no way an East vs West herder can occur because it would just be embarrassing for everyone involved.

Caribous insider

Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:07 pm

Its going to happen, if not this year then certainly next but I wont be surprised if its this year. Its what HNL wants! Its most likely youll see the East winner with a half dozen pick ups.

HockeyDave

Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:51 pm

It may happen and it may be what HNL wants but it's totally pointless if the CeeBees and Blades are not allowed to bring their current rosters with them to the East league and we all know that's not going to happen as it's been stated many times. The east league will only allow players that came up through the minor systems and a few leftovers through a draft. The CeeBees always had great local players and that's why they've won their last 4 Herders but their best locals are not going to be playing for them. The Delaney's and Brandon Roach will remain in Clarenville and Robert Slaney and Brett Shute will remain on the mainland this year. Mt. Pearl's top guns and local boys such as Ryan Graham, Grant Kenny, Ryan Mior and others are surely not going to play in the East league. I like HNL's idea of generating interest in a East vs West final but the playing field is tilted way too far west for it to make any sense this season. It just won't be fit to watch.

Caribous insider

Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:40 am

I agree. Although you will see some players like Kenny, Roger Kennedy and a few others who could play in the West, stay and play in the East. Some will choose not to travel, some will have personal reasons, and with the teams going to be so deep, others just wont get a regular game. Not sayn Grant and Roger wont play west but they may not. And I think there will be others. I think the East will be able to make a very good team who could put up a good fight......but not good enough to win. JMO

kwh4050

Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:21 pm

How would this even be possible? I'm not 100% sure, so I am hoping someone can confirm this, but isn't the AESHL presently non-contact? Also, as said above, all of the best talent will be playing in the WCSHL because that is where the money will be. I know that I suggested to HNL that an all-star team from the CWJHL play a series against the SJJHL Champions for the Veitch Championship. However; it was OUTRIGHT denied and decreed that it would NEVER happen. It would be interested to see how they could possibly have an AESHL All-Star team selected and what format could be used to try and make the Herder Finals a fair series. I think that it will be very interesting to see how the WCSHL, AESHL, Herder, SJJHL & the Veitch all happen this season....

Caribous insider

Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:00 pm

kwh4050 wrote:How would this even be possible? I'm not 100% sure, so I am hoping someone can confirm this, but isn't the AESHL presently non-contact? Also, as said above, all of the best talent will be playing in the WCSHL because that is where the money will be. I know that I suggested to HNL that an all-star team from the CWJHL play a series against the SJJHL Champions for the Veitch Championship. However; it was OUTRIGHT denied and decreed that it would NEVER happen. It would be interested to see how they could possibly have an AESHL All-Star team selected and what format could be used to try and make the Herder Finals a fair series. I think that it will be very interesting to see how the WCSHL, AESHL, Herder, SJJHL & the Veitch all happen this season....
The East non contact? Really......didnt know that. I thought there was contact in the games I saw. Before this could happen, HNL would have to change the status of the AESHL to A or AA or what is needed to play for the Herder. Thats would have to happen at the HNL AGM coming up on Sept 5,6,7. I think if the East were to have any shot at all it would have to be a full alstar team from the league. But then again youd have a lot of guys who never played together all year playing a well oiled team with possobly 30 or more games under their belt! just sayn.....

Hockey Eyes

Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:20 pm

The Avalon East is about5 as far from non-contact as you can get. it is skilled and hard hitting with players finishing their checks rather than out for a skate as so ofyen happened last year in the old NSHL before it collapsed. The winning team from the Avalon East with 3-4 pickups could make a game of it in a Herdewr final against the west but it couldn't win. The east has some really skilled players who for vareious reasons don't want to get on a bus and drive all night to play in Grand Falls or Corner Brook for 350 dollars. What the league lacks is " depth" After the first line and a half the skill level drops. There also aren't many top notch goaltenders in the AESHL. It should be a good season this year with some new teams entered. There are lots of hard hits and some good scraps in the AESHL. The players also appear to be all from Newfoundland and mostly from the communities they represent. That is good thing because it leads to passion which was so lacking in senior hockey last year. Plane lands ...players skate around ... give me my money ... plane leaves again. I hope it's better in the Western league this year or attendance will continue to plummet. .

Tomcod

Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:28 pm

Hockey Eyes wrote:The Avalon East is about5 as far from non-contact as you can get. it is skilled and hard hitting with players finishing their checks rather than out for a skate as so ofyen happened last year in the old NSHL before it collapsed. The winning team from the Avalon East with 3-4 pickups could make a game of it in a Herdewr final against the west but it couldn't win. The east has some really skilled players who for vareious reasons don't want to get on a bus and drive all night to play in Grand Falls or Corner Brook for 350 dollars. What the league lacks is " depth" After the first line and a half the skill level drops. There also aren't many top notch goaltenders in the AESHL. It should be a good season this year with some new teams entered. There are lots of hard hits and some good scraps in the AESHL. The players also appear to be all from Newfoundland and mostly from the communities they represent. That is good thing because it leads to passion which was so lacking in senior hockey last year. Plane lands ...players skate around ... give me my money ... plane leaves again. I hope it's better in the Western league this year or attendance will continue to plummet. .
Hey Hockey Eyes , before you start telling half truths about the NSHL WHY DONT YOU COME OUTSIDE THE OVERPASS & SEE some good old fashioned passionate hockey with full arenas & then maybe , just maybe you will be able to give everyone an informed opinion instead of the crap you insist on printing ... Stay tuned ..

• Information