Potential Herder Match Up

Central West Senior Hockey League discussions - Clarenville Caribous, Grand Falls Windsor Cataracts & Gander Flyers.
evanpenton
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:45 pm

Ok, I dont know the teams in the AESHL nor the players , so I may have some lines incorrect so I just put them in order of points. I will also use the Cataracts as an example since that is the team I cheer for.

People from the AESHL I ask you to seriously think about if you think this teams has any chance.

First using the current roster , lets say the Northeast Eagles win and pick up

Scott McCarthy, Andrew Gale, Jeremy Nichols, Mike Vaters as forwards
As Lionsden said Gale is 6th overall in the AESHL league and I believe he was let go from the senior hockey league, Vaters is 7th overall in the league and he was let go by the Cats 4th line last year. 2 of these guys are thier best options for forward pickups.

Sean Quinlan, Brad Slaney as defense. ( Top 2 defensemen in stats ) They might take Druken as a defensive defensemen. Druken was to slow for senior hockey 4 years ago.

Northeast Eagles...........................VS..............................Cataracts
Mason Reid - Chris Mooney - Kevin Reid..........VS.........Collin Circelli - Cam Fergus - Andrew Brennan
James Cadigan - Andrew Temple - Shane McGrath...VS.....Justin Barbour - Steve Yetmen - Andre Gill
Scott McCarthy - Andrew Gale - Mike Vaters.........VS........ Mike Sibley - Alex Dalley - Chris Sparkes
Jeremy Nichols - Danny Connolly, Liam Myers........VS......Danny Wicks- Kyle McGuirk- Brandon Bussey

Daniel Cadigan - Chris Ryan...............VS......................Luke Gallant - Rodi Short
Sean Quinlan - Brad Slaney................VS.....................Sam Hounsel - Greg Hoffe
Brock Hopkins - Brad Yetmen..............VS.......................Mike Brent - Nick Croft

Mark Yetmen..........................VS............................AJ Whiffen

Pick one line up , offense, defense , or goaltending that you think the AESHL line will even come close to the Cataracts line up. Keep in mind Mark Yetmen was an excellent goalie in Senior Hockey but he also had outstanding defensemen in front of him.

Debate.
GO CATS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!

Cwshl

Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:58 pm

Torbay d should look something like this in my opinion
Cadigan-Gale
Sheldon-Yetman
Druken-Slaney

Rule-r

Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:04 pm

I believe Mark Yetman is the better overall goalie, with a lot more experience at higher levels. However, yetman has missed 1+ years due to reasons we don't need to debate again. Plus now he is in a lesser league so it will be closer but I still give the edge to Yetty. Extremely close decision.

As for the rest, I only know a handful of Torbay players, so it would be hard to judge. On paper it likes like a very very uneven matchup.

Rule-r

Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:10 pm

Also, just looking at the stats on the top line for torbay, Kevin Reid is 3rd in league scoring, 14 games and 26 points. Last seasons while playing 22 games with CeeBees he collected 3 points.

He either improved a ton this season or is playing in a much weaker league!

evanpenton

Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:34 pm

Exactly. Chris Mooney 2nd in league scoring. 31 points in 15 games. Like someone said in a different thread, he played 4 years ago with Clarenville and he was let go. Was not a crucial player.

Cwshl

Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:40 pm

evanpenton wrote:Exactly. Chris Mooney 2nd in league scoring. 31 points in 15 games. Like someone said in a different thread, he played 4 years ago with Clarenville and he was let go. Was not a crucial player.
I don't recall Mooney being let go at all i think the reason was he didn't have time to commit to playing in the west with school..

evanpenton

Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:01 pm

What were his points during last season of playing out west. I cant remember why he left. I just remember he wasnt a player you heard people talking about. Like someone else said in another thread, doesnt matter if its Fergus, Tremblay, Sweetland, or Escott on the attack...Cadigan and Gale would not be able to shut them down.

newfiegoalie

Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:07 pm

The fact this is even being considered has to be one of the most hilarious things ive ever heard.

What is the goal here?

I would love to see an expert analysis of HNL from an unbiased group. I feel high school students could prepare a better business model than these guys.

evanpenton

Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:15 pm

Their business model is this.. how can we get another Herder championship played in St Johns, nothing else matters outside of St Johns.

Other then that they cannot possibly see how this will fail.... They did it several years ago by forcing teams to play out of Corner Brook and teams lost big time.

They really have no clue.

The only way this proposal is fair is if they say:

AESHL representitive will play out of wherever the choose. Should that be Mile one, they will pay the costs for rental and getting the other team out there. If there is a loss they incure all debt.If there is a profit, they share wth CWSHL team.

CWSHL representitve will play out of their home barn, that team will incure costs to get the AESHL team into their community. If there is a profit, they give a portion to the AESHL team.

However as Lionsden said, if the CWSHL team plays the first 2 games NO ONE will attend the other games. These games will be 8-0, 9-1 type games. No fan would travel to SJ to watch this garbage that HNL is trying to force down our throat.

Rule-r

Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:31 pm

I would say Mooney was a point a game player or close enough to it. He was an effective player with Clarenville. I believe he could still be a good additional to any team in the Central West League.

He would be the exception imo

• Information