More From The Telegram

Central West Senior Hockey League discussions - Clarenville Caribous, Grand Falls Windsor Cataracts & Gander Flyers.
Hockey Eyes
What colour is a puck?: black

Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:26 pm

Seniorfan wrote:More BS from HockeyLies. I exposed the lies that were told about the Herder fiasco. Now the same fools who screwed that up want to screw up the entire CWCSHL. Intentionally reduce the calibre of play? ????? Has anybody in charge of any sports organization spouted such nonsense? As for fans not supporting players not connected ti the community. That comment shows a complete disconnect from reality. Import players are largely responsible for attracting fans and likely come at a lower "net cost" than most locals. To deny this is to demonstrate a complete lack of understanding of the league our the communities. The Cataracts organization certainly does support itself through its fans and sponsors. Just like any sports organization. To say otherwise would be yet anothe another lie. You be better off trying to educate yourself before trying to educate other. HockeyLies, your ignorance it's only exceeded by your arrogance.
I am afraid you are still in denial . Why is Frazer Russell telling you the league can't go on? Have I hypnotized him?. The town in this league can't afford it .Why ? Not enough people come to the games. Its is that simple. Not all communities pass over free ice time to semi-professional hockey teams and then pretend everything is fine. Things will change this year and there will be fewer " I used to be a prospect but now I can't pay my Visa" players in the league. More players will stay east to play in the AESHL and it will all lead to a cross province Herder league.

Something i would support is that if you wanted to bring someone in and give him a job so he stayed here and his money stayed here.Just like the old days. Not ..put the money in a suitcase and take it back to Nova Scotia .Don't even pay rent in Newfoundland . Live in somebody's rec room on a sofa.

Tomcod

Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:05 pm

Hockey Eyes wrote:
Seniorfan wrote:More BS from HockeyLies. I exposed the lies that were told about the Herder fiasco. Now the same fools who screwed that up want to screw up the entire CWCSHL. Intentionally reduce the calibre of play? ????? Has anybody in charge of any sports organization spouted such nonsense? As for fans not supporting players not connected ti the community. That comment shows a complete disconnect from reality. Import players are largely responsible for attracting fans and likely come at a lower "net cost" than most locals. To deny this is to demonstrate a complete lack of understanding of the league our the communities. The Cataracts organization certainly does support itself through its fans and sponsors. Just like any sports organization. To say otherwise would be yet anothe another lie. You be better off trying to educate yourself before trying to educate other. HockeyLies, your ignorance it's only exceeded by your arrogance.
I am afraid you are still in denial . Why is Frazer Russell telling you the league can't go on? Have I hypnotized him?. The town in this league can't afford it .Why ? Not enough people come to the games. Its is that simple. Not all communities pass over free ice time to semi-professional hockey teams and then pretend everything is fine. Things will change this year and there will be fewer " I used to be a prospect but now I can't pay my Visa" players in the league. More players will stay east to play in the AESHL and it will all lead to a cross province Herder league.

Something i would support is that if you wanted to bring someone in and give him a job so he stayed here and his money stayed here.Just like the old days. Not ..put the money in a suitcase and take it back to Nova Scotia .Don't even pay rent in Newfoundland . Live in somebody's rec room on a sofa.

Hey hockey lies , Frazer Russell isnt telling the league anything .. He is expressing an opinion & everyone is intitled to an opinion ... the less imports the more east players going west .... you dont support anything & its none of your business what happens to someone elses money .... Stay tuned ...

puckit

Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:19 pm

Well, reading the latest 'GALE' report, it seems the winds of change are blowing across the island. Imagine, HNL firmly believes that in order to 'grow' the game, increase attendance and have competitive Avalon based teams they first have to weaken the established Western teams, eliminate future imports, downgrade the talent pool and control all the spending budgets. Sounds more dictatorial than democratic. HNL is hellbent on having that Herder Trophy Championship at Mile One even if it means icing an inferior brand of hockey. It's not about the quality of the game or the integrity of the game but more about delivering a coup de gras to the CWSHL. HNL's sworn enemy. They will destroy it before it destroys itself and they will be perceived as saviors of senior hockey and admired by everyone on the Avalon peninsula for doing so! That's just how I see it.
If at first you don't succeed....PUCKIT!

snowstorm

Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:51 pm

Seniorfan wrote:Unbelievable! The man responsible for Senior Hockey in this province has publicly stated that he wants to reduce the calibre of play in the CWSHL. Clearly he cares nothing for the fans off the Avalon. So many stupid decisions over the past few years but now if this latest nonsense is allowed to pass we can say goodbye to Senior Hockey beyond the overpass. Give more Newfoundlanders chance to play Senior Hockey? At the cost of entertaining hockey for the fans o f the CWSHL. Gary Gale just doesn't get it. He's taken this to a whole new level of stupidity. Mr Gale needs to resign now before he's allowed to kill Senior Hockey.
Senior hockey has been going down hill since the departure of Bill Noseworthy. Gary Gale knows less than a Pee Wee player about senior hockey and how it should develop. Gale only got the job because Bill couldn't take any more of the bull**** from the senior council and HNL in general. The Allan Cup for instance would have been played at Mile One if Jacko had his way. Bill was fighting a loosing battle inside so he quit and won the battle outside on his own dollar.
Gale is only a yes man for everybody and never objected to anything in his life and now he is spouting off about senior hockey every chance he gets. Wonder if he trained Hockeyeyes to think that way too.
Everybody is entitled to an opinion but funny thing is Fraser waited until retirement until doing so.
I am afraid we may be in a uphill battle here no matter what is decided. Sure there mat have been too much money spent but if you look at the situation with dwindling fans ask the respective communities what they feel about it all. All four of the CWSHL hockey teams have lost sight of the fans and had their whole focus on the sponsors. Everything relating to the community side of things has gone by the wayside until you need their money. Don't work for any sport. And now the rumor is that the Bous need 1000 season pass holders to ice a team and I would say they are not alone. If you asked you would find two more teams in basically the same boat. Not happening at all with the same approach. May need to go back and configure everything.

canonball

Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:55 am

I think that what has happened to hockey here on the island is the reffs , if a player rubs against another player he gets sent to the sin bin , they just will not let them hit ... I watched all games at the Allan cup and every one that a NL reff was in the reffin was the shits and that was a fact they just don`t know how to call a game ,they are ruining the game .What is wrong with a good hit as long as it is not to the head or a hit from behind , but the NL reffs don`t call it right ,not to mention what they miss , There needs to be an upgrade on this, have someone come in from outside and have a clinic . Fans don`t want to go to a game and watch the bull s that we have watched ... HNL should spend some of the funds they got from the Allan cup and up grade the Reff system ..Who ever seen the game between the Bous and Generals say that it was a great game but there was no NL reff there if it was they would have made it and all other games the laughing stock of the games ...Make the games more interesting ,put some reffs on the ice that know how to call a game , the one fight rule had nothing to do with the great games we seen at the Allan cup and it don`t in out league . Let the players play the game . By the way also not all teams make the playoffs , would make a team have all players in for games

Hockey Eyes

Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:37 am

You aren't seriously suggesting that the problem that has overtaken the WCSHL is refs and a clinic. The problem is that there is not a lot of hitting but that isn't the refs. There is loads of hitting in the AWESHL and in the St. John's Junior League. Players finish their checks. A co0mmon complaint about the WCSGHL is that too many players ( not all) just go through the motions pick up their money and fly home on the same plane as their opponents. It is like Sam and Ralph from the old Bugs Bunny cartoon show.
Now don't get me wrong ...it is fast and highly skilled and I would pay to watch it but many wouldn't. They wanted something else. The issue with your league isn't the refs. Its the marketability of the product thqat is the issue. Hockey Canada has essentially taken fighting out of amateur hockey and the refs enforce that but Hockey Canada or HNL hasn't taken hitting out of the game ... something else has.

tripper

Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:30 am

In my opinion with the fighting taken out of the game it has also taken the intensity out of it. In honestly in the last couple of years can anyone say we are watching intense hockey with hard hitting the the CWSHL? I am a big supporter of all senior hockey but I have seen almost zero hitting and not much intensity from any of the teams and it shows in the stands. I watched one AESHL game this spring and it was intense with more hits in one game than I seen all year in the CWSHL. No the skill level is not the same as the CWSHL but the AESHL game I saw was the best one I seen the year beside the Allan Cup. The Allan Cup game between Clarenville and Bently was the most intense hockey game I ever saw. If all of the teams in the CWSHL threw one tenth of the hits and played with a portion of the intensity that was in that game fans would love to come out and fill the stadium. But with all the players being buddy buddy and not hitting not gonna happen. We can have good intense hockey without fighting as we witnessed in the Allan Cup. Anyways JMO!!

canonball

Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:37 pm

So the players in the junior and ecshl are not buddies BS and you say there are more hit in both leagues than the WCSHL also BS .now is that a check or cheque you are talking about for the beer they have after the game ,o for got that is donated . And yes the reffs are taking away our game because who wants to go see a game of boring hockey ,just look at the fan support that the ECSHL has all year , big deal they draw from 800 to 1000 fans for a playoff game ,and that is not all playoff games .I don`t think that Clarenville went under a 1000 fans all season , perhaps not in the building but they did sell season passes which would amount to that number or more . You guys out there have nothing but a beer league.. Why is there no mention of the league that is in Central , I am sure that they could compete with the ECSHL ,so why would they not compete for the Herder the A holes that run the ECSHL think that they should play for the Herder well lets let the Central league play for it too .. I guess we are all on the wrong side of the overpass ...

canonball

Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:40 pm

[quote="tripper"]In my opinion with the fighting taken out of the game it has also taken the intensity out of it. In honestly in the last couple of years can anyone say we are watching intense hockey with hard hitting the the CWSHL? I am a big supporter of all senior hockey but I have seen almost zero hitting and not much intensity from any of the teams and it shows in the stands. I watched one AESHL game this spring and it was intense with more hits in one game than I seen all year in the CWSHL. No the skill level is not the same as the CWSHL but the AESHL game I saw was the best one I seen the year beside the Allan Cup. The Allan Cup game between Clarenville and Bently was the most intense hockey game I ever saw. If all of the teams in the CWSHL threw one tenth of the hits and played with a portion of the intensity that was in that game fans would love to come out and fill the stadium. But with all the players being buddy buddy and not hitting not gonna happen. We can have good intense hockey without fighting as we witnessed in the Allan Cup. Anyways JMO!![/quote

Yes but did you see the games that the NL reffs were in ,tell me that they know how to do a game... BS . They take the game away from the fans , don`t have a clue about reffin a game .period.

Flyer24

Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:10 am

As both a fan and a sponsor here in Gander, I have to agree with Frazer in that the system is not working as it now exists. There needs to be a way to curb expenses somewhat, yet keep the league alive. More locals translates into better fan support, always has. Yes the caliber of hockey declines but many fans don't notice. A lot of folks go to a game here and recall the old days of SR Hockey when LacScie or Badger would come to town and you were guaranteed a rough game of hockey with a few scraps.

Personally I prefer a fast, highly skilled game of hockey as we had last year, but I think I am in the minority and attendance figures show this in all 4 rinks. So something has to change, but what.

NOW, this issue I have with all of this is that Gary Gale comes out and Admits they are looking at reducing the caliber of the league to make it more on par with the AESHL. That is a farce. Even if you were planning this behind the scenes don't come out and admit it. Certain posters on here, who are in "the know" have always been very skeptical and negative towards HNL and I have always just figured it was sour grapes. However after reading that, I really have to wonder what NHL are thinking.

If our great league is in "financial ruins" and destined to fail, then let it run its course. No need to interfere and purposely try and reduce the caliber!!!

• Information