More From The Telegram

Central West Senior Hockey League discussions - Clarenville Caribous, Grand Falls Windsor Cataracts & Gander Flyers.
Hockey Eyes
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:37 am

Now that there is no MUN basket ball and nothing in the way of rugby happening The Telgram seems to have
" found " senior hockey. Here are a couple articles on the future and the past of senior hockey from today's paper. I must say I was surprised that the cut in imports will be done over a couple of years. My information was that it would be one big cut this year. I guess my source was wrong ... anyway .....

http://www.thetelegram.com/Sports/Hocke ... for-senior
____________________________________________________________________________________________

http://www.thetelegram.com/Sports/Hocke ... d-woolly/1

newfiegoalie

Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:04 am

George sure does love his hockey. Still playing weekly in St. Johns as well. I have heard so many stories from him. He is a great man and I wish I could have got to see him in his prime

Seniorfan

Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:13 pm

Unbelievable! The man responsible for Senior Hockey in this province has publicly stated that he wants to reduce the calibre of play in the CWSHL. Clearly he cares nothing for the fans off the Avalon. So many stupid decisions over the past few years but now if this latest nonsense is allowed to pass we can say goodbye to Senior Hockey beyond the overpass. Give more Newfoundlanders chance to play Senior Hockey? At the cost of entertaining hockey for the fans o f the CWSHL. Gary Gale just doesn't get it. He's taken this to a whole new level of stupidity. Mr Gale needs to resign now before he's allowed to kill Senior Hockey.

top cheese

Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:28 pm

The reduction of imports will do nothing to improve Senior Hockey in NL. If anything it will help kill it. Fans, administrator, and players from around the country have been pretty open to the idea that NL currently has the best Senior AAA play in the country and part of the reason why is because teams are allowed to supplement there teams with a few high calibre players. You have trouble filling the rinks now wait until the west teams have to play with teams on par with the AESHL. Wait until they have to compete for sub par NL players to come out west every week and have to cater to there excess demands. You will see the CWHL die quickly. CWHL has taken steps towards equality in the past number of years but the key to sustained success is fiscal responsibility and revenue sharing and administrators who don't look after there own teams interests first as opposed to the league. I wonder would it cost corner brook more to bring in 5 guys from Halifax or 5 guys from st. johns on the weekend?

The Allan Cup was such a positive success for the province time to build on that rather then start knocking down the foundation

Silverhawk

Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:20 pm

I understand the reasons behind it... the costs associated with running a team is always increasing... but watering down the league I don't think is an answer either... attendance and fan support are dropping.. a watered down league/team isn't going to help that at all. ..that's my opinion..

The issue is how do you balance the rising costs associated with having a high caliber team without having your hands out constantly for support.
Be Loud, Be Herd. Go 'Bous Go
2015 Allan Cup Host Team

- 2012 Herder Memorial Champs
- 2011 Allan Cup Champs
- 2010 Herder Memorial Champs
- 2009 Herder Memorial Champs

Hockey Eyes

Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:40 pm

It is time for some of the teams to open their eyes. The best franchise in the league is Clarenville and I'm not talking about the cailbre of players but how they do business. If Gary Gale says there has to be less imports you will be forgiven if you think he is wrong and has some sort of axe to grind. If Jack Lee says the league is spending its way to oblivion you can say he is pro Avalon East. Today though it is Frazer Russell who is telling you the madness has to stop. I don't know what else you need. If Jesus were to come back and tell you the league is spending itself out of existence would you believe that ?
Tell me again how it is chepaer to bring fiver players from Halifax and Toronto than it is from St. John's. Let me whisper something to you. In you league final the Royals were outdrawn in their last home game by both the Torbay Eagles and by the Southern Shore Breakers. Your fans obviously are NOT coming out in the numbers required to support of a bunch of players with absolutely no connection to the community they represent.
I know it , Frazer Russell knows it but you don't. You have a " suspension of disbelief".
Somebody tell me how you are going to get fans out again. You had no body checking this year. The first checks the Cats and the Caribous saw were in the Allan Cup . What is it fans are paying to see or more correctly why are they NOT coming out like they used to. Serious question.

Tomcod

Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:06 pm

Hockey Eyes wrote:It is time for some of the teams to open their eyes. The best franchise in the league is Clarenville and I'm not talking about the cailbre of players but how they do business. If Gary Gale says there has to be less imports you will be forgiven if you think he is wrong and has some sort of axe to grind. If Jack Lee says the league is spending its way to oblivion you can say he is pro Avalon East. Today though it is Frazer Russell who is telling you the madness has to stop. I don't know what else you need. If Jesus were to come back and tell you the league is spending itself out of existence would you believe that ?
Tell me again how it is chepaer to bring fiver players from Halifax and Toronto than it is from St. John's. Let me whisper something to you. In you league final the Royals were outdrawn in their last home game by both the Torbay Eagles and by the Southern Shore Breakers. Your fans obviously are NOT coming out in the numbers required to support of a bunch of players with absolutely no connection to the community they represent.
I know it , Frazer Russell knows it but you don't. You have a " suspension of disbelief".
Somebody tell me how you are going to get fans out again. You had no body checking this year. The first checks the Cats and the Caribous saw were in the Allan Cup . What is it fans are paying to see or more correctly why are they NOT coming out like they used to. Serious question.

Pray tell hockey eyes is that why all the fans are flocking to watch the AESHL games because of the great caliber of hockey lol... Still telling lies about attendance lol... The bous arent in the best financial shape because they competed in too many ALLAN Cups & them there is the facts the rest is crap ... stay tuned ....

Seniorfan

Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:21 pm

More BS from HockeyLies. I exposed the lies that were told about the Herder fiasco. Now the same fools who screwed that up want to screw up the entire CWCSHL. Intentionally reduce the calibre of play? ????? Has anybody in charge of any sports organization spouted such nonsense? As for fans not supporting players not connected ti the community. That comment shows a complete disconnect from reality. Import players are largely responsible for attracting fans and likely come at a lower "net cost" than most locals. To deny this is to demonstrate a complete lack of understanding of the league our the communities. The Cataracts organization certainly does support itself through its fans and sponsors. Just like any sports organization. To say otherwise would be yet anothe another lie. You be better off trying to educate yourself before trying to educate other. HockeyLies, your ignorance it's only exceeded by your arrogance.

canonball

Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:27 pm

What hurt the bous the most was having to attend the Allan cup last year . The CB`s won the Herder the year before and were the team to send to the Allan Cup but they could not afford it , so the bous which were runners up had to send a team to play. Would have looked bad if a team from NL did not send a team to the Allan cup and host it the next year . Do anyone think that this year would have happened if that was the fact ? I don`t think so ....Like I said before there is only so much that you can ask of your sponsor ,They sponsor our team in the league and then ask them to shell out money to send a team to the Allan cup ,, a bit much don`t you think , year after year

abc123

Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:08 pm

I don't know what needs to be done but I hope we can continue to see the caliber of hockey that we saw here in Clarenville last week. It was fantastic. Hockey like that and it wouldn't be hard to put the bums in the seats. I think that for Clarenville, after this past week, it should not be hard to get people back to the games, but I don't think it will happen with a watered down league. I sure hope it is not the beginning of the end for Senior Hockey. Onwards and Upwards, I say! Go Bous Go!

• Information