June Meetings

Central West Senior Hockey League discussions - Clarenville Caribous, Grand Falls Windsor Cataracts & Gander Flyers.
Post Reply
Hockey Eyes
Posts: 1964
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:40 pm
What colour is a puck?: black

Fri May 08, 2015 7:20 pm

I am told by someone who should know that the June meetings of HNL have just a half day set aside for senior hockey rather than a full day. They are just looking to float some ideas at this stage rather make decisions. Give people some time to think through what may be possible and have informal discussions through the summer before sitting down for decision time in the Fall

Seniorfan
Posts: 609
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:14 am
What colour is a puck?: black

Sat May 09, 2015 12:10 pm

Given senior Councils litany of incompetent and misguided decisions over the past few years I would not be the least bit surprised to discover that this is indeed the plan. I would however be extremely disappointed as such an approach could only lead to more uncertainty and confusion for Senior Hockey. One would think that with even a modicum of intelligence they would have learned from last year's multiple mistakes of waiting until the last minute to make any decisions, leaving teams in limbo with any sense of direction. Senior Council waited until just a week before the start of the season to make team's aware of rules regarding number of allowed imports and roster sizes. Then they waited until the day before the start of the Herder Championship before getting off the fence. Are they incapable of learning from their mistakes? Any properly run sports organizing and ruling body should be well aware that these sorts of decisions need to be made well ahead of time to allow for proper planning and promotion; two things badly lacking at present. Teams should be made aware of the parameters under which they are operating AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, preferably this spring and certainly not next fall. Teams are putting together their executives this spring in preparation for next season and I question why anyone would agree to serve and put in time and effort fund raising, promotion, recruitment etc, over the summer months, without even knowing what rules they are operating under and whether all that work will be for nought when Senior Council makes its decree in the fall. If there are changes to be made to senior hockey, especially as pertains to the CWSHL then those involved deserve to know what those changes are, prior to agreeing to even operate a team. This fall is too late to start putting together a CWSHL season if it is to be successful. Planning needs to start now. If the plan is to let things slide until the fall then I fear this is yet another move to downgrade the league as per the stated goal of Senior Chair Gary Gale. Time to show some real leadership for once and let teams know where they stand this spring so they can decide if they want to go forward. My suspicion sadly is that if the changes suggested publically by Mr. Gale are implemented, there will be no CWSHL next season. Teams and individuals deserve to know this before they waste their summer months planning for a league that won't happen. The time to get this resolved is NOW.

snowstorm
Posts: 92
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:45 pm
What colour is a puck?: black

Sat May 09, 2015 9:01 pm

Seniorfan wrote:Given senior Councils litany of incompetent and misguided decisions over the past few years I would not be the least bit surprised to discover that this is indeed the plan. I would however be extremely disappointed as such an approach could only lead to more uncertainty and confusion for Senior Hockey. One would think that with even a modicum of intelligence they would have learned from last year's multiple mistakes of waiting until the last minute to make any decisions, leaving teams in limbo with any sense of direction. Senior Council waited until just a week before the start of the season to make team's aware of rules regarding number of allowed imports and roster sizes. Then they waited until the day before the start of the Herder Championship before getting off the fence. Are they incapable of learning from their mistakes? Any properly run sports organizing and ruling body should be well aware that these sorts of decisions need to be made well ahead of time to allow for proper planning and promotion; two things badly lacking at present. Teams should be made aware of the parameters under which they are operating AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, preferably this spring and certainly not next fall. Teams are putting together their executives this spring in preparation for next season and I question why anyone would agree to serve and put in time and effort fund raising, promotion, recruitment etc, over the summer months, without even knowing what rules they are operating under and whether all that work will be for nought when Senior Council makes its decree in the fall. If there are changes to be made to senior hockey, especially as pertains to the CWSHL then those involved deserve to know what those changes are, prior to agreeing to even operate a team. This fall is too late to start putting together a CWSHL season if it is to be successful. Planning needs to start now. If the plan is to let things slide until the fall then I fear this is yet another move to downgrade the league as per the stated goal of Senior Chair Gary Gale. Time to show some real leadership for once and let teams know where they stand this spring so they can decide if they want to go forward. My suspicion sadly is that if the changes suggested publically by Mr. Gale are implemented, there will be no CWSHL next season. Teams and individuals deserve to know this before they waste their summer months planning for a league that won't happen. The time to get this resolved is NOW.

HNL has made their decision already. Stand pat and wait for the CWSHL team committees out of frustration to decide it is too late to do anything.
Not one of our teams can fundraise etc to create their operating budgets, recruit volunteers and do the proper due diligence needed to operate a team. HNL wants the CWSHL to fail and this is the easiest way to have it happen.
Hockey No Longer

superfan
Posts: 11295
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:22 pm
What colour is a puck?: black

Sun May 10, 2015 8:00 am

It would be great if their was a league outside of HNL .

123
Posts: 1787
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:46 am
What colour is a puck?: black

Sun May 10, 2015 10:35 am

There's a battle outside
And it is ragin'
It'll soon shake your windows
And rattle your walls
For the times they are a-changin'

Tomcod
Posts: 5737
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:41 pm
What colour is a puck?: black

Sun May 10, 2015 1:51 pm

123 wrote:There's a battle outside
And it is ragin'
It'll soon shake your windows
And rattle your walls
For the times they are a-changin'
Half of those HNL Yahoos might not be there in the fall if they dont smarten up ... stay tuned ....

superfan
Posts: 11295
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:22 pm
What colour is a puck?: black

Sun May 10, 2015 9:09 pm

... and they better leave the governors table behind :ymapplause: .

Flyer24
Posts: 768
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:28 pm
What colour is a puck?: black

Tue May 12, 2015 9:58 am

And yet again, Hockey Eyes claims he has no affiliation with HNL or any AESHL teams yet he manages to know what's going to be on the Agenda of a HNL meeting that's over a month away. haha.

Tomcod
Posts: 5737
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:41 pm
What colour is a puck?: black

Tue May 12, 2015 12:24 pm

Flyer24 wrote:And yet again, Hockey Eyes claims he has no affiliation with HNL or any AESHL teams yet he manages to know what's going to be on the Agenda of a HNL meeting that's over a month away. haha.
Stay Tuned To HOCKEY LIES .....

123
Posts: 1787
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:46 am
What colour is a puck?: black

Tue May 12, 2015 10:10 pm

Stay tuned indeed...
If your time to you
Is worth savin'
Then you better start swimmin'
Or you'll sink like a stone
For the times they are a-changin'.

Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests