long term viability

Central West Senior Hockey League discussions - Clarenville Caribous, Grand Falls Windsor Cataracts & Gander Flyers.
thelionsden
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:09 am

After being involved with senior hockey here in GFW for 12 years I have seen my share of decisions being made by this league and teams that would make me turn away from the game I love so much, as some fans have done in the past couple of years. Yet I continue to give my time and the fans and volunteers continue to give their money and time respectfully. I truly believe that we have one of the, if not the best senior hockey leagues in the Country, and after attending 3 National Championships I can attest to that belief. But there needs to be some changes made and If I may, here are some points of valuable consideration.

1. (INCREASE IMPORTS) imports are the biggest drawing card to attendance and sponsorship. Fan's want to see the Fergus, Salvis, Asham and Mcrae's of the world....SO give it to them, I know first hand that some sponsors will put forth the DOE to help get these players here. Local's love playing with these guys as well, they help bring the skill level of our local's to a different level, not just by their on ice skills, but the professionalism off the ice.

2. (LOWER THE BUDGETS A LITTLE) Ok, I just said INCREASE IMPORTS? and now LOWER THE BUDGETS? how do the two work together? EASY, DON"T GIVE EVERYTHING A PLAYER ASK FOR!!! just because a player asked for X amount of cash doesn't mean you should give it to him. There are 100's of players out their willing to play hockey in Newfoundland for less than what the players are getting now. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the player's for this, I would take what I can get as well...This is on the league and teams. Do your homework with players going to the ECHL, Junior and University and recruit early...I would even propose a Draft System for Imports...Just to see what names would come up.. i'm guessing people would be surprised at how many players from OFF the island would put their names in the draft. And that intern would stop a bidding war on Imports as well.

3. ( Keeping the fans informed) This is a vital part of the whole fan experience. Every team has their
"DIE HARDS". they follow their team in anyway available. IE: website, Twitter, local paper's, Facebook, and of course this site being the #1 way of keeping up with your favorite team. All those things are great but are not used enough to push the league to new level's and to attract your average fan or any new potential fans/sponsors and the like. KEEP THE FAN ENGAGED...LET THEM BE IN THE KNOW...if you follow any professional sport you will see that they use these "FREE" advertising sites to promote there business... and folks...this is a business..and the business is driven by the FANS...SO LET THEM BE THE DRIVING FORCE IN MOVING THE LEAGUE FORWARD. have a live draft...give them up to the minute info... let them be the first to TWEET something..ETC

4. (HAVE SOME BALLS) To the teams... this is YOUR LEAGUE..stand up for it... if you want no imports.. than have no imports... if you want 4 per team..then have 4 per team... I personally would like to see it fall under Hockey Canada ruling of imports, not some made up rule by Hockey Newfoundland and Labrador who thing they are doing this to help keep the CWSHL alive. Everything they have decided since they stuck their nose in the league for the most part has been a failure. I liken it to a simple business. if it wasn't broken, then why try and fix it.

5.(PAYROLL) I'm not sure how this is even possible, but if it is, I think if could help all the teams with their bottom line... during the meeting, have your teams fundraising committee chairs meet to go over their idea's on what and how each team does to collect Sponsorships and what those sponsorships include... you might be surprised on what you find out.
This final item under payroll might be far fetched, but it's about discussion, and throwing things at the wall to see what might stick is what discussions are all about. Maybe just Maybe if an independent company was to come in and look after ALL the BOOKS of each team and it would be the Sole responsibility of this company to pay the Bill's and players of each team. and in lieu of this sponsorship they would be given title of the named league IE the "ACCOUNTING" NEWFOUNDLAND SENIOR HOCKEY LEAGUE"
Money is what is keeps the league alive....so lets see if we can keep the teams out of paying the players directly... open the books to an independent company and let them look after the CASH.

Just my 2 cents... I love this hockey and in order for it to continue...Changes are needed.

goboosgo

Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:15 pm

A very well thought out plan to try and keep this wonderful league going for many years to come. Thanks Lionsden.

#1BousFan

Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:39 pm

thelionsden wrote:After being involved with senior hockey here in GFW for 12 years I have seen my share of decisions being made by this league and teams that would make me turn away from the game I love so much, as some fans have done in the past couple of years. Yet I continue to give my time and the fans and volunteers continue to give their money and time respectfully. I truly believe that we have one of the, if not the best senior hockey leagues in the Country, and after attending 3 National Championships I can attest to that belief. But there needs to be some changes made and If I may, here are some points of valuable consideration.

1. (INCREASE IMPORTS) imports are the biggest drawing card to attendance and sponsorship. Fan's want to see the Fergus, Salvis, Asham and Mcrae's of the world....SO give it to them, I know first hand that some sponsors will put forth the DOE to help get these players here. Local's love playing with these guys as well, they help bring the skill level of our local's to a different level, not just by their on ice skills, but the professionalism off the ice.

2. (LOWER THE BUDGETS A LITTLE) Ok, I just said INCREASE IMPORTS? and now LOWER THE BUDGETS? how do the two work together? EASY, DON"T GIVE EVERYTHING A PLAYER ASK FOR!!! just because a player asked for X amount of cash doesn't mean you should give it to him. There are 100's of players out their willing to play hockey in Newfoundland for less than what the players are getting now. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the player's for this, I would take what I can get as well...This is on the league and teams. Do your homework with players going to the ECHL, Junior and University and recruit early...I would even propose a Draft System for Imports...Just to see what names would come up.. i'm guessing people would be surprised at how many players from OFF the island would put their names in the draft. And that intern would stop a bidding war on Imports as well.

3. ( Keeping the fans informed) This is a vital part of the whole fan experience. Every team has their
"DIE HARDS". they follow their team in anyway available. IE: website, Twitter, local paper's, Facebook, and of course this site being the #1 way of keeping up with your favorite team. All those things are great but are not used enough to push the league to new level's and to attract your average fan or any new potential fans/sponsors and the like. KEEP THE FAN ENGAGED...LET THEM BE IN THE KNOW...if you follow any professional sport you will see that they use these "FREE" advertising sites to promote there business... and folks...this is a business..and the business is driven by the FANS...SO LET THEM BE THE DRIVING FORCE IN MOVING THE LEAGUE FORWARD. have a live draft...give them up to the minute info... let them be the first to TWEET something..ETC

4. (HAVE SOME BALLS) To the teams... this is YOUR LEAGUE..stand up for it... if you want no imports.. than have no imports... if you want 4 per team..then have 4 per team... I personally would like to see it fall under Hockey Canada ruling of imports, not some made up rule by Hockey Newfoundland and Labrador who thing they are doing this to help keep the CWSHL alive. Everything they have decided since they stuck their nose in the league for the most part has been a failure. I liken it to a simple business. if it wasn't broken, then why try and fix it.

5.(PAYROLL) I'm not sure how this is even possible, but if it is, I think if could help all the teams with their bottom line... during the meeting, have your teams fundraising committee chairs meet to go over their idea's on what and how each team does to collect Sponsorships and what those sponsorships include... you might be surprised on what you find out.
This final item under payroll might be far fetched, but it's about discussion, and throwing things at the wall to see what might stick is what discussions are all about. Maybe just Maybe if an independent company was to come in and look after ALL the BOOKS of each team and it would be the Sole responsibility of this company to pay the Bill's and players of each team. and in lieu of this sponsorship they would be given title of the named league IE the "ACCOUNTING" NEWFOUNDLAND SENIOR HOCKEY LEAGUE"
Money is what is keeps the league alive....so lets see if we can keep the teams out of paying the players directly... open the books to an independent company and let them look after the CASH.

Just my 2 cents... I love this hockey and in order for it to continue...Changes are needed.
Some good points there Lionsden, You wanna takeover as President of the CWSHL? You would make a perect fit
Clarenville Caribous 2018 Herder Champions
Clarenville Caribous--2012 Herder Champions
Clarenville Caribous- 2011 Allan Cup Champions
Clarenville Caribous- -2010 Herder Champions
Clarenville Caribous- 2009 Herder Champions

superfan

Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:26 pm

Right on Lionsden , very refreshing points indeed .

.... keep up the great work and have a great summer :ymapplause: .

rusty

Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:36 pm

Great read, i agree with all you wrote but i don't know how we can really inforce number five for the obivious reasons. Well thought out Benny.

bousclues

Sun May 01, 2016 12:21 am

thelionsden wrote:After being involved with senior hockey here in GFW for 12 years I have seen my share of decisions being made by this league and teams that would make me turn away from the game I love so much, as some fans have done in the past couple of years. Yet I continue to give my time and the fans and volunteers continue to give their money and time respectfully. I truly believe that we have one of the, if not the best senior hockey leagues in the Country, and after attending 3 National Championships I can attest to that belief. But there needs to be some changes made and If I may, here are some points of valuable consideration.

I agree 100%...let all teams have four or five, if a team only wants one or none would be up to them. Imports fill rinks its that simple. Look at teams from past years that left their imports home week in week out...they had trouble putting bums in the seats...the cats and bous would always bring them in and ofter drawed a crowd, the last couple years the bous had many weekends missing a import or two and attendance was affect imo

bousclues

Sun May 01, 2016 12:23 am

Another thing...the majority of the people here want to see more imports...we are the fans, we know what we want...we are the fans.

superfan

Sun May 01, 2016 8:58 pm

bousclues wrote:Another thing...the majority of the people here want to see more imports...we are the fans, we know what we want...we are the fans.

Hey bousclues, got your guitar ready ?

.... I think you are on to something there :ymapplause: .

canonball

Mon May 02, 2016 12:36 pm

Clarenville would not be able to support a team in the old Trinity bay league . Very bad fan support . They even tried to raise funds through a couple of chase the ace fun raisers but could not get any people involved . Fan in Clarenville only will support a winning team but they seem to forget that in order to have a winning team they have to ice players and that cost money ..Some of them will be bitching because there is no hockey in town but they will not put the blame on themselves for not support the team

superfan

Mon May 02, 2016 4:30 pm

Right on Cannon .

.... quality product sells its self and you only get what you pay for .

• Information