Sports page article on AJ Whiffen

Central West Senior Hockey League discussions - Clarenville Caribous, Grand Falls Windsor Cataracts & Gander Flyers.
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:33 am

Carl Lake reporting he has spoken to AJ Whiffen who indicates he will be a CeeBee this season.

Link:

http://www.thesportspage.ca/whiffen-won ... cataracts/

Mind you this is just confirming what many have mentioned here in the past several weeks.

evanpenton

Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:41 am

Just curious, where the Avalon east and central west compete now, are they deemed the same league ? Can whiffen just leave and go there ? If the Cataracts really wanted too, could they sign him to a card and force the ceebees to trade for him ?

Just some overall questions for people who may know
GO CATS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!

HockeyDave

Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:57 pm

Evan, I guess if that was the case. The Caribous can send the CeeBees compensation for Keith Delaney, Ryan Delaney, Ryan Penney and Brandon Roach. Gander can also send compensation for Brett Shute as well. The fact is that in the AESHL these players rights are all owned by the CeeBees because they are all local players to the CeeBees. They also own the rights to Steve Yetman through a trade with St. John's last season. That's only a few players imagine all the players St. John's have the rights too that are playing in the CWSHL. If AJ coming East requires a trade then it could open a huge can of worms. The leagues also played last year against one another although we all know that it didn't go all that well for the AESHL. The Cats are a powerhouse and I'll be shocked if they don't win the Herder again this year. Losing AJ won't effect them like his addition will to the CeeBees.

Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:01 pm

Cats won't hold him hostage. I'd say he gets a release the moment he asks the team, if he hasn't asked already.

PurpleandGold

Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:03 pm

123 wrote:Cats won't hold him hostage. I'd say he gets a release the moment he asks the team, if he hasn't asked already.
Yes that's right all it requires is for the Cats to release him. No trades or compensation required. I can't see a team holding a player up but stranger things have happened.

Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:05 pm

PurpleandGold wrote:
123 wrote:Cats won't hold him hostage. I'd say he gets a release the moment he asks the team, if he hasn't asked already.
Yes that's right all it requires is for the Cats to release him. No trades or compensation required. I can't see a team holding a player up but stranger things have happened.
Then he enters the draft and CeeBees select him first overall.

PurpleandGold

Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:10 pm

123 wrote:
PurpleandGold wrote:
Then he enters the draft and CeeBees select him first overall.
Yup that's how it would play out

catsfan96

Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:14 pm

Hard to believe all these players go in between leagues but the teams losing these players do not get compensated with ex. trade player for player or cash? like the Delaney's or Yetman or Whiffen or Sparkes.. etc.
GFW Cataracts 2010/2011 Herder Champs
GFW Cataracts 2013/2014 Herder Champs
GFW Cataracts 2014/2015 Herder Champs
GFW Cataracts 2015/2016 Herder Champs
GFW Cataracts 2016/2017 Allan Cup Champs

evanpenton

Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:49 pm

HockeyDave wrote:Evan, I guess if that was the case. The Caribous can send the CeeBees compensation for Keith Delaney, Ryan Delaney, Ryan Penney and Brandon Roach. Gander can also send compensation for Brett Shute as well. The fact is that in the AESHL these players rights are all owned by the CeeBees because they are all local players to the CeeBees. They also own the rights to Steve Yetman through a trade with St. John's last season. That's only a few players imagine all the players St. John's have the rights too that are playing in the CWSHL. If AJ coming East requires a trade then it could open a huge can of worms. The leagues also played last year against one another although we all know that it didn't go all that well for the AESHL. The Cats are a powerhouse and I'll be shocked if they don't win the Herder again this year. Losing AJ won't effect them like his addition will to the CeeBees.
I think you misunderstood, I am not saying that compensation would be given to the Cats because AJ is from Grand Falls-Windsor, I am asking what is the difference between The Gander Flyers and The Ceebees. If Mike Dyke wanted to come to the Cataracts he cant, a trade would be needed, or a release and he would enter the draft.

If the Cataracts for some reason wanted to be difficult and refused a release to AJ, would the ceebees have to trade for him ? I don't know where you came up with the nonsense about the Delaneys, and Yetman and so on. The Delaneys haven't played for the Ceebees in 6 years, their rights were traded long ago. Same with Yetman.

evanpenton

Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:54 pm

Also, as I stated in the AESHL forum, could the Cats and Ceebees trade for something....even if its non sense like the rights to a future player who may come back and play senior hockey, and the Whiffen could avoid the draft and the ceebees could still keep their #1 pick

• Information