Games in Gander and GFW this weekend

Central West Senior Hockey League discussions - Clarenville Caribous, Grand Falls Windsor Cataracts & Gander Flyers.
titan
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:54 pm

geoguy wrote:
#1BousFan wrote:The games last weekend were not broadcast & not many fans turned out to the Sunday game, Lucky if there a few hundred there, I don't think it will make a difference or not
Couple of teams have tried this now believing that fans will magically appear out of thin air cause you can't follow along at home. Thing was then and still remains that fans don't stay home from events to watch them on a screen as opposed to real life. Maybe I'm naive and fans do just show up in droves with 50/50 money on hand and eager to spend when the monitor goes black but I doubt

Don't think anyone expects the fans will come out in "droves" and the arena will be jam packed but if you can get 20 or 30 more that helps. There has been a significant decline in interest in the league over the last few years so why not try something? The broadcasting of games has not helped fan attendance, at least in the Gander area, has it hurt it, can't say for sure. As another poster stated earlier there are people who stay home specifically to save the $15.00 instead of going to the rink because they can see the game on T.V. I don't think there's many people in Gander, Clarenville or GFW that don't know this hockey is on the go in town. How many "new" fans do you think the league gains from having the game on TV? They don't magically stumble across it on a local TV station and say I gotta become a fan of this and take right off to buy their holding seats. I'd love for all rinks to be full and this be a non issue but that's not the reality.

It's too bad that this is where the league is right now but it is what it is. Don't forget it's not just about the web cast, Rogers will not be broadcasting the games either.

titan

Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:57 pm

rick wrote:I am sure there will be fans from gander tuning in tomorrow .
Don't dispute that for a second but would some of them make the drive to GFW to see the game live if that was their only option, I believe some would.

#1BousFan

Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:23 pm

No Web/Autocast tonight, George tweeted it a little while ago
Clarenville Caribous 2018 Herder Champions
Clarenville Caribous--2012 Herder Champions
Clarenville Caribous- 2011 Allan Cup Champions
Clarenville Caribous- -2010 Herder Champions
Clarenville Caribous- 2009 Herder Champions

PurpleandGold

Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:31 pm

Hearing Cats are going to be short benched a couple players. Any truth to that?

Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:07 pm

Desperate times, desperate measures. All hands on deck as she's still on life support Baby!!

Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:14 pm

titan wrote:
Seniorfan wrote:
Turk wrote:Heard, no broadcast Saturday night, must be to many staying home in the shed to watch or marketing strategy!!
Hope that's not true. If that's what they call a marketing strategy is certainly ass backwards. Prevent people who can't get there from following Sr Hockey. Don't think it'll entice anyone to go. In fact if this is how they are going to treat fans In rethinking my plans to go. Will wait for Sunday. Someone please tell me they aren't really doing this.
Sports blackouts are quite common in local areas across N.A. so why would you say it's "ass backwards". I'm willing too bet that these teams have put more $ into research than the CWSHL. I guess it comes down to this, with empty seats in All arenas the broadcasting of these games hasn't helped with fan attendance or growing interest in our league, nothing to loose I say.

If you want to see the game live make the short drive to Gander, I do it quite frequently when the Flyers are in GFW. Dollars at the door are what really counts IMO.
I wouldn't call this a local blackout when there is no coverage at all. Local would be confining it to Gander area for example. Grant it the lads do a GREAT job with the broadcast but sure there's no way within their capacity to limit it to Gander local only. Be interesting to know the true attendance figures because several people, including a respected poster text me (as I was blocked again...LOL) to tell me Clarenville posted attendance numbers were inflated as he was at the game. No denying attendance is down but I guarantee less than 10 people will go tonight as a result.

titan

Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:32 pm

123 wrote:Desperate times, desperate measures. All hands on deck as she's still on life support Baby!!
Lots of things/people go on life support, they don't always die.

titan

Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:58 pm

The LOCAL Rogers station broadcasts the games as well here in Gander, it's not just about the Web cast coverage Do you think it would be fair for the Flyers to say they can't do it but let Bell come in and broadcast the games?

Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:18 pm

titan wrote:The LOCAL Rogers station broadcasts the games as well here in Gander, it's not just about the Web cast coverage Do you think it would be fair for the Flyers to say they can't do it but let Bell come in and broadcast the games?
You're the one calling it a local blackout. In pro sports (not the national NHL Rogers tv coverage which is a whole different beast but recall years ago the Jacksonville Jaguars couldn't sellout their home games so they blacked out the games in the local Jacksonville area BUT out of area (non-local) coverage continued. If Gander can't sellout their building, then don't put it on the visiting fan to pump up attendance. They have their home games to worry about.

titan

Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:49 pm

123 wrote:
titan wrote:The LOCAL Rogers station broadcasts the games as well here in Gander, it's not just about the Web cast coverage Do you think it would be fair for the Flyers to say they can't do it but let Bell come in and broadcast the games?
You're the one calling it a local blackout. In pro sports (not the national NHL Rogers tv coverage which is a whole different beast but recall years ago the Jacksonville Jaguars couldn't sellout their home games so they blacked out the games in the local Jacksonville area BUT out of area (non-local) coverage continued. If Gander can't sellout their building, then don't put it on the visiting fan to pump up attendance. They have their home games to worry about.

Ha ha ..Gander can't sell out there home games obviously and I am not saying any other team should worry about the Flyers attendance, although it does affect the whole league.

The notion of broadcasting the games locally (split hairs all you like about me calling it a local blackout, ) has not sold the product in Gander. Fact. I haven't looked into it but I'd say there are senior leagues across the country with a small population base that don't allow live games to be broadcast for attendance reasons. Would you agree with that?

• Information