Last Allan Cup for Newfoundland?

Central West Senior Hockey League discussions - Clarenville Caribous, Grand Falls Windsor Cataracts & Gander Flyers.
Wayner
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:50 pm

Just wondering what the thoughts are on the possibility of this being the last time our province will have a chance at the Allan Cup? If the CWSHL folds, and HNL and Paddy have their way of going with just local players, I don't think we will ever be competitive enough to compete with the mainland. This might be the end of it as we know it and I feel bad about that.

catfan

Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:54 pm

Wayner wrote:Just wondering what the thoughts are on the possibility of this being the last time our province will have a chance at the Allan Cup? If the CWSHL folds, and HNL and Paddy have their way of going with just local players, I don't think we will ever be competitive enough to compete with the mainland. This might be the end of it as we know it and I feel bad about that.
Pure bull by you wayner. ????Disturber!

Wayner

Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:00 pm

catfan wrote:
Wayner wrote:Just wondering what the thoughts are on the possibility of this being the last time our province will have a chance at the Allan Cup? If the CWSHL folds, and HNL and Paddy have their way of going with just local players, I don't think we will ever be competitive enough to compete with the mainland. This might be the end of it as we know it and I feel bad about that.
No you're wrong. Been a cats fan all my life, even played for them. The Allan cup is hard to win. Without imports, we won't be competitive enough.

catfan

Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:31 pm

Wayner wrote:
catfan wrote:
No you're wrong. Been a cats fan all my life, even played for them. The Allan cup is hard to win. Without imports, we won't be competitive enough.
Still think most of your statements are bull. Not a good time for bekng negative about our league!

Silverhawk

Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:10 pm

Actually I think what Wayner is saying has merit... if the league does continue next season, it will be with drastic changes across the board... you'll see imports eliminated for one... it doesn't mean NL doesn't have the talent here... but there is A LOT of moving parts to this puzzle... .. some are saying go with a model similar to what the west is doing now to keep hockey in our towns... as far as I know, the west is totally separate and not sanctioned by HNL... some have said keep the league similar to now, but separate from HNL... again.. not being sanctioned by the governing hockey body in NL more than likely would mean no national championship play... etc

Like I said.. a lot of moving parts and ALOT of what ifs, and things that need to be fixed... If ALL teams want a chance to be around next year, the league and teams need to sit down starting NOW to table changes... not get together in August or September and try to hammer it out.... IMO
Be Loud, Be Herd. Go 'Bous Go
2015 Allan Cup Host Team

- 2012 Herder Memorial Champs
- 2011 Allan Cup Champs
- 2010 Herder Memorial Champs
- 2009 Herder Memorial Champs

catfan

Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:18 pm

Silverhawk wrote:Actually I think what Wayner is saying has merit... if the league does continue next season, it will be with drastic changes across the board... you'll see imports eliminated for one... it doesn't mean NL doesn't have the talent here... but there is A LOT of moving parts to this puzzle... .. some are saying go with a model similar to what the west is doing now to keep hockey in our towns... as far as I know, the west is totally separate and not sanctioned by HNL... some have said keep the league similar to now, but separate from HNL... again.. not being sanctioned by the governing hockey body in NL more than likely would mean no national championship play... etc

Like I said.. a lot of moving parts and ALOT of what ifs, and things that need to be fixed... If ALL teams want a chance to be around next year, the league and teams need to sit down starting NOW to table changes... not get together in August or September and try to hammer it out.... IMO
Imports are not the problem. They help draw fans. Good organizations is what is needed. And you have to work at it 12 months of year.

Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:21 pm

Thought the league was expanding by 1 perhaps 2 teams and taking more players from the AESHL to the CWSHL???

catfan

Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:38 pm

123 wrote:Thought the league was expanding by 1 perhaps 2 teams and taking more players from the AESHL to the CWSHL???
Exactly the same as I hear. 2 more teams.

Wayner

Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:15 am

catfan wrote:
123 wrote:Thought the league was expanding by 1 perhaps 2 teams and taking more players from the AESHL to the CWSHL???
Exactly the same as I hear. 2 more teams.
I hope so. Let's hope it does and we can continue to compete for the Allan Cup.

top cheese

Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:24 pm

catfan wrote:
Silverhawk wrote:Actually I think what Wayner is saying has merit... if the league does continue next season, it will be with drastic changes across the board... you'll see imports eliminated for one... it doesn't mean NL doesn't have the talent here... but there is A LOT of moving parts to this puzzle... .. some are saying go with a model similar to what the west is doing now to keep hockey in our towns... as far as I know, the west is totally separate and not sanctioned by HNL... some have said keep the league similar to now, but separate from HNL... again.. not being sanctioned by the governing hockey body in NL more than likely would mean no national championship play... etc

Imports are not the problem. They help draw fans. Good organizations is what is needed. And you have to work at it 12 months of year.
I agree with catsfan. I think for years the issue has been with the organizations. Although costly I have no problem with Imports or paying local players. The issue is when teams and players do not exercise control. When it comes to paying out vacations or excessively lavishing players for a weekend then there is an issue.

What is this talk of adding two more teams?

• Information