Allan Cup worth it?

Central West Senior Hockey League discussions - Clarenville Caribous, Grand Falls Windsor Cataracts & Gander Flyers.
Seniorfan
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:29 pm

Oh just a fan wrote:I'm so offended that you guys don't want me to participate in the parade. Hahaha you guys assume I'd want to. The town can try and take fake pride in a team not only full of non local players but this team also picked up players for the Allan Cup who haven't played in the NL league this year. Not one player from GFW was wearing a Cats jersey when the horn was blown. It's kinda sad to be honest. So have your party, I'll gladly stay home.

Also don't give me this **** about the towns full of pride. I've spoken to former players, older and younger. I've played for the Cats back in the day. I'm a former player wouldn't I feel some pride? My friends have played for the Cats of past and some still do. Don't try and tell me that a few fake fans who get on this site and you see at Tims, all excited speak for a whole town. My co workers and customers that come in, we all talk hockey and it's not all positive when it comes to this team or organization.
Clearly you're a bitter person and have some sort of personal grudge against the irganization. That's a shame. You are free to continue to live your life that way if you wish. The rest of us will enjoy the moment without you. Some people just prefer to complain. As for not participating in the parade, nobody has mentioned a parade and if there is one you'd be welcome to participate but won't be missed if you don't. I'm always puzzled by the mentality of people who get upset at others happiness. Moving on without you. Those of us who want to celebrate the cup will do so. Those who want to complain whine instead will do so. I cchoose the former. You choose the latter.

Wayner

Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:46 pm

Some very jealous and bitter people here on this board. Who needs enemies with friends like you?

I've said it before, in order for our province to compete with the mainland, we need imports. Look at Team Gushue.....two boys are from PEI and Alberta. Look at MUN women's and men's basketball teams.....about 75% of both teams are from the mainland and we have over 6,000 players registered with basketball NL.

Even back in the early 70's, the Cataracts had Jim Beckman and Jean Guy Morrisette among others when they competed for the Allan Cup.

I for one hope the CWSHL continues.....with imports.

#1BousFan

Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:09 am

Wayner wrote:Some very jealous and bitter people here on this board. Who needs enemies with friends like you?

I've said it before, in order for our province to compete with the mainland, we need imports. Look at Team Gushue.....two boys are from PEI and Alberta. Look at MUN women's and men's basketball teams.....about 75% of both teams are from the mainland and we have over 6,000 players registered with basketball NL.

Even back in the early 70's, the Cataracts had Jim Beckman and Jean Guy Morrisette among others when they competed for the Allan Cup.

I hope it does to but as of now, It don't look good
Clarenville Caribous 2018 Herder Champions
Clarenville Caribous--2012 Herder Champions
Clarenville Caribous- 2011 Allan Cup Champions
Clarenville Caribous- -2010 Herder Champions
Clarenville Caribous- 2009 Herder Champions

top cheese

Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:20 pm

Wayner wrote:Some very jealous and bitter people here on this board. Who needs enemies with friends like you?

I agree 1000%. It seems that people in this province can only celebrate success when it is there own when it comes to sport. All season we have heard that the CWSHL will fold, and now the allan cup is a "joke" from St. John's media ( who support there local league) and the AESHL. While the Herder debacle is resoundly cheered and thrown in everyones face.

Newfoundland teams and individual have a difficult time competition at the national level because this province doesn't have the talent to do so. Nor do they have the development structure in sport or the local competition that provides the same consistent level of play. Even from a coaching perspective, how many elite level coaches are in this province ? in any sport.

Naysayers to the Cats probably have never seen the level of play that's involved in this tournament. That most everyone on the Bentley or Ontario team are ex-professional players who have experience all over the world. The Allan Cup is as old as the Stanley cup and should be celebrated achievement for the Grand Falls Community and the CWSHL.

canonball

Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:24 pm

You gother Pontiac . Also how many players are on the Gushue rink that won the worlds and the Brier

chesterfriedchicken

Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:09 pm

Says a lot to the caliber of hockey in NL when the third best team in the province wins the national championship. Congrats to the cats.

Oh just a fan

Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:27 pm

You guys are all harlious, first things first half of you people were saying all last week that the Cee Bees herder win isn't that great cause their a variety team but now jumping down my throat for saying the same thing about the Cats.
Secondly my opinion on this Allan Cup team is my opinion and I'm aloud to have it. You guys calling me names because of it, just proves your mentality. Only person who's replied back without downgrading my opinion has been Lionsden. All my original post was about was, is it worth it? And instead of you guys coming here saying your points most have just decided to call me sour. Typical of this site I should say. Someone don't agree with you fellers and you guys get your panties all tied in a knot. I simply asked would the few players from GFW who didn't play, basically come back next year or not like AJ? Wanted some opinions from you guys, not a thread full of just **** on me for my opinion.

Also I'm aware that the Stanley Cup is won every year by teams with players not from that city. But are we really comparing the NHL, a professional sport to the Allan Cup a amateur sport? Two totally different things, two totally didn't levels of play. And you clowns who suggested it know the difference too.

tippper

Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:07 am

Yes, Oh just a fan. It would be nice if the Cataracts had all locals but that is simply not reality. In fact, even going back to the 1950s even the Andcos were not all locals playing for the Herder let alone the Allan Cup and they were very successful.

As for too many imports? Well, in Atlantic Canada if you don't have them, you don't win nat titles. It is that simple. The University of New Brunswick has won the national championship several times since 2000 in CIS. And guess how many locals they had? Maybe five from all of NB! The rest were all OHL recruits.
Guess how many national championships Atlantic midget AAA teams have had since the beginning? None. Maritime Junior A League? Two in 50 years. Atlantic Canada does not have the level of play or numbers to succeed without imports.

As for pro vs. amateur, check out the rosters of all the major junior teams in the OHL, WHL and the QMJHL and tell me how many locals the Peterborough Petes, the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles, or the Brandon Wheat Kings have. Or better yet, wait for the Memorial Cup in a few weeks and see how many locals are on the team that wins it!

canonball

Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:33 am

Look at your own gushue rink ,how many locals are on that team and it only takes 4 to play that

catfan

Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:38 pm

chesterfriedchicken wrote:Says a lot to the caliber of hockey in NL when the third best team in the province wins the national championship. Congrats to the cats.
Cat might not have won the herder but are still the best. 23-4 in last years herder!

• Information