Allan Cup worth it?

Central West Senior Hockey League discussions - Clarenville Caribous, Grand Falls Windsor Cataracts & Gander Flyers.
Oh just a fan
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:28 pm

So now that the Cats have finally won their cup, like the Bous did, will they continue to play?
I've said for years that the only reason the Cats still go is so they can say they won one too. But all this going to the Allan Cup has basically killed the local Senior Circuit. So I ask is it worth it at all? You have to think that Wiffen going up there last year to not be played and wanting out will other locals do the same? Dalley, Mcquirk and Cole come to mind.

catfan

Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:14 pm

Oh just a fan wrote:So now that the Cats have finally won their cup, like the Bous did, will they continue to play?
I've said for years that the only reason the Cats still go is so they can say they won one too. But all this going to the Allan Cup has basically killed the local Senior Circuit. So I ask is it worth it at all? You have to think that Wiffen going up there last year to not be played and wanting out will other locals do the same? Dalley, Mcquirk and Cole come to mind.
Is it worth it. Yes bye! We've been waiting since the early 70's for this one. And Bryan Gillis is the best!

catfan

Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:19 pm

Going to the Allan Cup has only increased interest in hockey. People want skilled hockey. And they will pay to watch it!

peterpuck

Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:44 pm

Just wondering how was the attendance at the games ?

Oh just a fan

Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:54 pm

Fans may have been waiting since 1970 for this, but at what cost? The leagues pretty much going to fold. I could be wrong but it's not looking very promising.

You say fans want great hockey and will pay to watch it.... I'm assuming you haven't been paying attention to the attendance numbers throughout the league all season then have you? The leagues in finacial trouble and the cost of tickets have a big role to play in that.

And where's all these fans besides the 10-15 on here that want imports and non locals? I talk to people around town and they couldn't care less about the Cataracts. They maybe called Grand Falls Windsor but they sure don't feel like a GFW team. They won the Allan Cup this year sure, but not one, not one player who's was born is GFW was playing. Awesome makes me so proud......

Sniper34

Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:51 pm

Oh just a fan wrote:Fans may have been waiting since 1970 for this, but at what cost? The leagues pretty much going to fold. I could be wrong but it's not looking very promising.

You say fans want great hockey and will pay to watch it.... I'm assuming you haven't been paying attention to the attendance numbers throughout the league all season then have you? The leagues in finacial trouble and the cost of tickets have a big role to play in that.

And where's all these fans besides the 10-15 on here that want imports and non locals? I talk to people around town and they couldn't care less about the Cataracts. They maybe called Grand Falls Windsor but they sure don't feel like a GFW team. They won the Allan Cup this year sure, but not one, not one player who's was born is GFW was playing. Awesome makes me so proud......
More Mainlanders on the team then Newfoundlanders sure. When the Caribous won it back in 2011 mostly all locals besides 1 maybe 2?

Seniorfan

Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:02 pm

Didn't take long for the typical haters and whiners to rear their ugly heads. It's the organization that represents the town. Everything else is just noise.

catfan

Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:04 pm

Oh just a fan wrote:Fans may have been waiting since 1970 for this, but at what cost? The leagues pretty much going to fold. I could be wrong but it's not looking very promising.

What town are you talking about. There's lots of hype here about the Cats and the Allan Cup. Why be negative when the rest of the Cat fans are positive. Cost of Alan Cup hasen' t hurt the Cats at all. The only thing that's hurting hockey in NL right now is the poor economy. That will change.

Seniorfan

Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:05 pm

Oh just a fan wrote:So now that the Cats have finally won their cup, like the Bous did, will they continue to play?
How has it killed the SR curcuit ? The only team that has traveled to play in it for the last 3 years is the Cataracts and they are in no trouble of folding unless they hsve no one else to play. What's the Allan Cup got to do with it.

catfan

Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:10 pm

Sniper34 wrote:

More Mainlanders on the team then Newfoundlanders sure. When the Caribous won it back in 2011 mostly all locals besides 1 maybe 2?
Where did you learn to count? If they wear the Cats uniform they are from here. Lots of players from central on this team! And definately more from NL.

• Information