Eagles Vs Bous (Updates)

Central West Senior Hockey League discussions - Clarenville Caribous, Grand Falls Windsor Cataracts & Gander Flyers.
Hockey Eyes
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:54 pm

Nice post Senior Fan. Your view of the CWSHL as an amateur league is a bit dodgy but otherwise not a bad set of thoughts.
There is no real interest in the east in interlocking games ...at least there certainly wasn't last year. Who wants to drive to Gander or Clarenville or Grand Falls before Christmas on a bus for no money.

Drinks alota beer

Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:59 pm

HOW THE HELL IS 14-2 GOOD FOR THE GAME?

Oh just a fan

Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:58 pm

Why are they not paying their players yet in the east? It’s simple spend some money to make some money. Put a winning product on the ice and fans will come support. This coming while there’s currently no pro hockey on the Avalon, it’s a prime opportunity to grow this league and grab the fans out there who have nothing else to watch.
Last edited by Oh just a fan on Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

just watch

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:56 pm

Dont forget a team that draws fans and makes money is not welcome in the east. The teams that are left there now say no players are getting paid but look at the team rosters and decide yourself if some of these players are playing for fun.

HockeyFan29

Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:56 pm

Hockey Eyes wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:01 pm
My understanding is that as of a couple of weeks ago the Eagles sought not to play this game but that wasn't possible. They are in the process of reforming. Joe Maynard is no long general manager. A couple of weeks ago they had only twelve skaters for a game. They have been using some juniors to get them through this period. The Caps are a solid team but so are the Southern Shore Breakers.. I think last years Eagles would have beaten the Clarenville Caribous . The Eagles were on a par with the CeeBee Stars ...maybe a touch below them. That however is this year and the Eagles have lost a lot of players through retirement. They were an "old" team last year.
Keep in mind as well the Eagles players or the Caps or any of the others aren't employees of the teams. They just like playing hockey . They didn't sign up for road games. I don't know but I'll bet it was a very short bench today for the Eagles and I'll bet the Cadigan boys or Mooney weren't there.
Police shifts affect this team big time.
The Eagles might be there for the Herder. They have several " after Christmas" committments. Remember this is an "amateur league.
However I understand your disappointment after the Caps showed well on Saturday.
The Eagles were not on par with the Cee Bees last year..... The Cee Bees skated them into the ice in the AESHL final and it was very apparent the Eagles didn't have the speed or conditioning to keep up and got outworked big time. Even with the Cadigans, Mooney, Chris Sparkes, Sean Wadden in their line up they still wouldn't have been any match for the Caribous this past weekend. They may have lost 8-2 instead of 14-2 but that is as close as they would have gotten. They have guys in their line-up who have no business playing senior hockey, and when they finally get all their "big guns" in the line up after Christmas they will be too old and too slow.

The Shore do not have a solid team this year. They have two defencemen who are capable of playing meaningful minutes in senior hockey, and before you start praising him up neither one of them are named Mike Lee (he was slow when he played his best hockey with Deer Lake 10 years ago, let alone now). They have very little depth up front, inconsistent goaltending and haven't been able to get enough bodies to ice a full team yet this year, and I don't think Ray Dalton or Morgan Warren will be suiting up this year. They have no help on the way and will struggle to finish the year, especially if they get a couple injuries.

St. John's are far and away the best team in the East this year and the league is theirs to lose, with the addition of 6 strengthening players, they may actually put up a fight for the Herder. They are well coached, hard working, can usually muster up enough players for a full bench, and have solid goaltending.

I haven't seen Conception Bay play this year so I can't offer an opinion on them.

timbits

Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:11 am

Strange.. how come the east will still be getting 6 strengthening players to play for the herder? Shouldn't the west team also now be allowed 6 strengthening players from within their league since they now have no imports? Someone explain that logic to me without laughing.

Seniorfan

Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:14 am

Hockey Eyes wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:54 pm
Nice post Senior Fan. Your view of the CWSHL as an amateur league is a bit dodgy but otherwise not a bad set of thoughts.
There is no real interest in the east in interlocking games ...at least there certainly wasn't last year. Who wants to drive to Gander or Clarenville or Grand Falls before Christmas on a bus for no money.
Not dodgy I the least. It is a statement of fact. That is how it is registered and defined within Hockey Canada.

Hockey Eyes

Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:16 pm

Timbits ... I agree the East shouldn't get six players for the Herder to strengthen their team..as we saw we with the St. John's Caps who are well grounded ...six pickups would be too much this year. The east would win the Herder again. Maybe two pickups would make for a better series but not six.

timbits

Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:38 pm

Glad you see that as well. The logic with taking the imports out of the west was to make the two leagues more compatible & evenly matched (which clearly they are not with maybe the exception of the Caps) so why let the east stock up again this year still? If so then say for example if the Cats got to the herder they should be allowed to bring back Fergus; circelli & gallant. That is my take on it all.

goboosgo

Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:21 pm

timbits wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:38 pm
Glad you see that as well. The logic with taking the imports out of the west was to make the two leagues more compatible & evenly matched (which clearly they are not with maybe the exception of the Caps) so why let the east stock up again this year still? If so then say for example if the Cats got to the herder they should be allowed to bring back Fergus; circelli & gallant. That is my take on it all.
Last year the East were permitted to add six strengthening players because the West teams had two import players, plus they were allowed to use a referee that didn't know what was required to score a legal goal thus the awarding of the Hollett Cup not the Herder.

• Information