The Kids are Alright

Central West Senior Hockey League discussions - Clarenville Caribous, Grand Falls Windsor Cataracts & Gander Flyers.
PurpleandGold
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:28 pm

The early success of the Flyers may have caught many on this site by surprise.

More surprising has been the contributions of all the rookies on the team. So many 20 and 21-year-olds on this team making key contributions. Can't remember a recent team with so many young players in prominent roles and the team doing so well.

On Defense Josh Fitzgerald (21), Thomas Hedges (21), and Lucas McKay (21) have been very solid. All very steady and providing a physical style of play Flyers have lacked in recent years. Big Shayne Domine (20) has also looked very solid when he is available to play. Got the best of Ryan Delaney in a good scrap early in the season.

Up front, Brad Power (21) and Andrew Paul (21) have been key contributors offensively with both being point per game players. Power is in the league top 10 for scoring. Graham Oldford (21) has provided great energy and hard work in a third line role with the team.

Now the Flyers added another young stud tonight in Josh's younger brother Nick Fitzgerald (20).

I guess the big question now is can a team with so much youth (team average age just 24) have success down the stretch and into the playoffs against much more veteran and older teams?

timbits
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:11 am

I think the key is with a young team is to not let the emotions get the better of them, if they can do that I think the Flyers have a solid shot this year. From a cats fans eyes, I think the emotions have gotten in the way at times during the couple games I have seen the flyers play in gfw this year. Just my opinion!! Flyers have a great team.

• Information