A New Old League

Central West Senior Hockey League discussions - Clarenville Caribous, Grand Falls Windsor Cataracts & Gander Flyers.
Hockey Eyes
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:47 am

Robin Short in The Telegram references today a re-worked and reborn Avalon East League in the Fall with the Ceebees, the Caribous , The Mount Pearl Blades and the Northeast Eagles.
The CeeBees and the Caribous makes sense and so does Mount Pearl who have a near bottomless money pit in a corporate sponsor.
The Eagles is a bit of a surprise but ... Robin usually knows what he is talking about .. There should be some good players available next season for an amateur league. All the four teams mentioned have something in common ....nice rinks to play in.

tincanfan

Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:05 am

"Robin usually knows what he is talking about" What a laugh.

thelionsden

Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:19 am

Seriously Hockey eyes..."amateur league" we all know players will be paid in that league. And by saying "amateur" we know what you mean...non paid players. A lot of people already know there is money being tossed around to get this new league started...but that money will dry up pretty fast if the teams other than the Cee Bees don't draw enough fans and the Cee Bees will get what they want...a cake walk to a bunch of herders in a row.

Hockey Eyes

Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:41 am

Well the CeeBees will draw and I expect Clarenville will also draw . The Mount Pearl Blades didn't draw flies when they were in the league. with the Ceebees. They had Chris Mooney ,Blake Gallagher,Tim Greene Roger Pender, Mike Lee, Steven Yetman, Mark and Paul Roebothan , Mark Tobin, Jeremby Nicholas and Corey Blackmore and Ryan Mior in goal. They didn't draw enough fans for a game of cards.
The fourth team I don't know but there is the making of a league there though.
Amateur ...? I think it could be but if you have to break the rules to succeed some teams may be tempted. The Blades when they were in the league stayed within the cap and lost a few really good players playing " highest bidder" hockey. It will at least be interesting.
As for Robin he does know inside hockey. It is just people in Central and West may bot like him. When he said that senior hockey in its present form was dying nobody wanted to hear it they were laughing at him. ... They aren't laughing now. .
I hope that version of the AESHL gets going but ..... its a nice drive from Jack Byrne to the CEC and an expensive one.. That sounds like an overnighter. That's when the bills start to add up and players don't want to make a committment to give up their weekend for nothing .....THEN the real trouble starts .
It is no accident that in the interlocking schedule this winter the teams from the east came with VERY short benches..

thelionsden

Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:55 am

Robin was not right...he has been saying it for about 8 yrs. So I guess he finally hit pay dirt on the roulette table.

Your statement about Mt Pearl having a bottomless pit of money and corporate sponsors leads me to think...they to will be paying players...why would they need a bottomless pit of money? Remember all your talk over the years about "AMATEUR" and "SEMI PRO" and how you specified it on just about every post including this one when you started it. I have no issue paying players...just don't hide it.

top cheese

Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:15 pm

Northeast will probably turn into Flatrock. The Shore will obviously join, they would be stupid not to renew the Cee Bees rivalry. Obviously St. John's will be left out of this since this is a Cee Bees initiated league and they will not want a Jack Casey run team in their league. the other teams might fold into a paradise entry.

The ever changing landscape of senior hockey is embarrassing. I guess after the 2019 season someone will be unhappy and create there own league and the cycle will continue. NO leadership or administration of senior hockey is ruining the legitimacy of the leagues.

Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:36 pm

Personally I cannot wait for next season if this new league forms. I sort of hoped Clarenville would not have been in the fold to be honest. This is no doubt a CeeBee run effort so I guess they needed Clarenville given what the others did to them this season. Guess the other teams should not have bit the hand that fed them. Talk at rinks I’ve been to this coalition was led by Caps and not Eagles as previously stated. All could be hearsay and is as nothing was confirmed just all 4 banded. Be funny to see Caps left with one or two other teams to play again all next winter. Having said that, it would have been nice to see current 4 teams with just The Pearl and CeeBees in the fold. Nice 6 team league. Hope those in the power to be keep the fans in the loop. Once Herder is awarded just issue a press release and let it be known formally what’s happening. Too many secrets and closed door things happening in NL Senior Hockey.

mr.hockey

Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:41 pm

The new league i think will have some new measure of maturity in the leadership of it.. I feel the best thing that could have possibly happened to hockey in Newfoundland and especially on the Avalon is what happened with the ousting of the Ceebees and the start up of the south heading ECSHL...The mature hard working hockey people watched it implode and now its time to do it right ...The Avalon east will be an awesome league...Can't wait ...Good leadership , lots of sponsors good teams and great fries..see you at the rink in a little over 7 months...

thelionsden

Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:44 pm

Mr Hockey...i see you frequent the Central west site quite often...yet there seems to be no interest on the East side...wonder why?...nobody out that way other than your Cee Bees care are it. Your Chase the Herder money will dry up fast and the rich will lead again...what how money will manipulate the Draft and players will move from other teams for cash once again.

superfan

Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:49 pm

thelionsden wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:44 pm
Mr Hockey...i see you frequent the Central west site quite often...yet there seems to be no interest on the East side...wonder why?...nobody out that way other than your Cee Bees care are it. Your Chase the Herder money will dry up fast and the rich will lead again...what how money will manipulate the Draft and players will move from other teams for cash once again.
Right on Lionsden :ymapplause:

.... give my best to George .

• Information