Game Attendance This Year and Next

Central West Senior Hockey League discussions - Clarenville Caribous, Grand Falls Windsor Cataracts & Gander Flyers.
Hockey Eyes
What colour is a puck?: black

Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:28 am

I am so surprised to see people still talking about the " two fight rule" as a solution to an attendance problem. That ship sailed years ago . Hockey Canada and insurance rates keep the " two fight rule" a thing of the past. Also the notion of IF YOU BUILD IT THEY WILL COME is just bogus. That isn't true . That sort of thinking drove your league into the ditch. High salaries decreasing revenues and bizarre notion like imported players are revenue neutral. " Keep the budget to a 500 weekend? You guys couldn't police any kind of salary cap in the past . Where did you get the knowledge now ... Good will what was needed among the teams. Everyone pulling in the same direction. They seem to have that now in the new west coast league.
Also ..... the Allan Cup final is tonight. Stoney Creek against Lacomb. It s on TV about midnight. That will show you its importance in Canadian Hockey.
The other point is about a one year leave of absence . There are TWO teams left ..Gander and Grand Walls Windsor . I think you have your leave of absence but from what.?
Hockey will be very different next winter. I expect two leagues on the east coast .... maybe. Mount Pearl and the CeeBees and Clarenville and ... Paradise ... maybe . We shall see what HNL approves. One league ... or two ... who knows.
Your league was weaker this year... our league was weaker this year... nobody knows the Allan Cup is on...
and .... there is a professional hockey team coming to Mile One. All these things are true ... not said in malice....just responding to a post. Sometimes in a theatre if you get too close to the screen ... you can't see the curtain coming down. There aren't bad guys and good guys... the world has just changed ... JMO

Zekie

Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:45 pm

The problem is the HNL/HC umbrella. In the hockey world they have a monopolized stranglehold on everything. Unfortunately it seems the only way Senior Hockey will ever be relatively successful is to step out from under the umbrella of HNL/HC which would require a monumental effort. Unless you have an appetite for what is being proffered on the East Coast.

Hockey Eyes

Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:35 pm

Are you saying there should be no governing body for hockey in Canada? The various leagues just do what they want.? I mean goodness gracious you guys had a professional league and Revenue Canada had to be called in . Should you have a two fight rule or a ten fight rule or unlimited imports . There has to be order in the league. HNL saw the Herder as a giant showcase and a meeting of east and west in facilities where everyone could make money . ... the Pepsi Centre and Mile One. Everyone wasn't on the same page and the the hockey scene fractured . It never did come back together but it will . There is an east amateur league and a west amateur league and if there is to be hockey in central there had better be a central amateur league . Some people in hockey need to wake up . The model of success seems to be the West Coast . Good crowds without a bunch of players flying in to collect their pay and fly out again. The West coast have shown the way with amateur hockey.,

thelionsden

Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:00 pm

Hockeyeyes, It's people like you who have a curtain in front of you and you don't see a bigger picture here. We draw 10 times the fans you do at a regular season game than all of the Avalon east teams. There is an appetite here in central and we love our hockey here.

I believe this could still work with a good core of people running things, Salaries can be kept down. you just need everyone to follow the rules as a WHOLE. players will play for $500 per weekend as oppose to getting nothing out your way and 50 fans a game.

As regarding the fighting....i'm not one for watching all of that, but I don't know one hockey fan who don't get out of there seat or get a small rush from to guys going at it in the heat of the game. you might not like it but a lot of fans still do. As for the insurance to cover that sort of thing....that's something that the league could look into.

With the Cataracts drawing over 600 fans a game on an average all regular season and I believe the Flyers had the same, and the Caribous i'm guessing here, but around 500 fans on average per game. I can't see how this could not work...the issue is the 4th team... which I believe the Cee bee's should consider forming a 4 team league.

the only issue is HNL needs to keep it's paws out of it... I was at a HNL meeting a few years back and they had a guest speaker come in and speak about how the governing bodies are here to help with guidance for senior hockey and not run the leagues in Canada....it's seem from people I have talked to at the Allan cups over the past 5 years....HNL is the only governing body that has it's PAWS in the mix....GO FIGURE.

and in regarding to Revenue Canada being called in....I believe there will be a story coming out soon on that......not my place to divulge that information.

titan

Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:17 pm

A few things Lionsden. The league set salary caps before and it was a joke. There is no way the Flyers will agree to a draft where they can only protect 6 players. Do you remember or know the amount of players that each team was allowed to protect when the Flyers entered the league? Also in regards to attendance this year if you think the Cats were drawing the same number of fans per game as the Flyers you are dreaming. I'm thinking the Cats barely had more fans at the games than the Bous. There is no way the league would be able to afford insurance if they stepped away from HC or HNL. As for the Ceebees I'm guessing they had their fill of the Central League when they got the boot and I don't blame them.

The only way you will see hockey here in Central for the next few years is if they can arrange something like on the West Coast

Seniorfan

Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:29 pm

Hockey Eyes wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:28 am
I am so surprised to see people still talking about the " two fight rule" as a solution to an attendance problem. That ship sailed years ago . Hockey Canada and insurance rates keep the " two fight rule" a thing of the past. Also the notion of IF YOU BUILD IT THEY WILL COME is just bogus. That isn't true . That sort of thinking drove your league into the ditch. High salaries decreasing revenues and bizarre notion like imported players are revenue neutral. " Keep the budget to a 500 weekend? You guys couldn't police any kind of salary cap in the past . Where did you get the knowledge now ... Good will what was needed among the teams. Everyone pulling in the same direction. They seem to have that now in the new west coast league.
Also ..... the Allan Cup final is tonight. Stoney Creek against Lacomb. It s on TV about midnight. That will show you its importance in Canadian Hockey.
The other point is about a one year leave of absence . There are TWO teams left ..Gander and Grand Walls Windsor . I think you have your leave of absence but from what.?
Hockey will be very different next winter. I expect two leagues on the east coast .... maybe. Mount Pearl and the CeeBees and Clarenville and ... Paradise ... maybe . We shall see what HNL approves. One league ... or two ... who knows.
Your league was weaker this year... our league was weaker this year... nobody knows the Allan Cup is on...
and .... there is a professional hockey team coming to Mile One. All these things are true ... not said in malice....just responding to a post. Sometimes in a theatre if you get too close to the screen ... you can't see the curtain coming down. There aren't bad guys and good guys... the world has just changed ... JMO

thelionsden

Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:40 pm

Titan, No one is saying step away from HC/HNL....there was at one time an extra cost for the two fight... With regards to the Salary Cap it can work...Player would still come and play for less money I believe....ALL TEAMS WOULD HAVE TO WORK TOGETHER.....instead of being negative about this....how about throwing your 2 cents in.... you would be amazed at what can be accomplished when everyone is pulling in the right direction instead of infighting.

Zekie

Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:48 pm

Hockey Eyes wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:35 pm
Are you saying there should be no governing body for hockey in Canada? The various leagues just do what they want.? I mean goodness gracious you guys had a professional league and Revenue Canada had to be called in . Should you have a two fight rule or a ten fight rule or unlimited imports . There has to be order in the league. HNL saw the Herder as a giant showcase and a meeting of east and west in facilities where everyone could make money . ... the Pepsi Centre and Mile One. Everyone wasn't on the same page and the the hockey scene fractured . It never did come back together but it will . There is an east amateur league and a west amateur league and if there is to be hockey in central there had better be a central amateur league . Some people in hockey need to wake up . The model of success seems to be the West Coast . Good crowds without a bunch of players flying in to collect their pay and fly out again. The West coast have shown the way with amateur hockey.,
Amateur Hockey Eyes please read my lips: I'm saying the current governing body SUCKS! I don't like the one size fits all mentality they operate under. Obviously one size doesn't fit all, but regretfully that's all we have. I for one would love to see another governing body/bodies arise since monopolies don't serve well.

By the way, you keep referring to the West Coast as a Super Model for Success. I'd like to know how they get around the two fight rule while using HNL officials??

There are other governing bodies in Canada besides HC that have THRIVED!! Just imagine!!

Oh just a fan

Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:04 pm

Was going to say the same thing Zekie about the fighting in the west. HockeyEyes suggest fightings the way of the past and no one cares about it anymore. But then continues to try and prove a point by using the Weat as an example for how to run a league. A league that gets a lot of fans, fans who come to watch the fights.

Also people say you can’t have a league with two fights cause of Hockey Canada and HNL, then create a private league like the Sr one in Quebec. Sure they won’t be able to participate in the Allan Cup but honestly who cares?

titan

Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:10 pm

thelionsden wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:40 pm
Titan, No one is saying step away from HC/HNL....there was at one time an extra cost for the two fight... With regards to the Salary Cap it can work...Player would still come and play for less money I believe....ALL TEAMS WOULD HAVE TO WORK TOGETHER.....instead of being negative about this....how about throwing your 2 cents in.... you would be amazed at what can be accomplished when everyone is pulling in the right direction instead of infighting.
Not being negative at all, even with the struggles over the last few years the teams couldn't pull it together, not even close. I'm counting the Flyers in that as well by the way. Believe me I'd like to see nothing more than for the hockey to continue but the Bous have pretty much said they won't be involved next year in the Central league, I know things can change but I just don't see that happening. I can pretty much guarantee one thing after talking with some people in Twillingate, there is zero chance of them having any interest in playing in a league with paid players and they are very nervous about the Cats and Flyers abiding by those rules.

• Information