TWO 'CENTRAL' SENIOR TEAMS WANT HOCKEY KEPT ALIVE

Central West Senior Hockey League discussions - Clarenville Caribous, Grand Falls Windsor Cataracts & Gander Flyers.
Post Reply
Hockey Eyes
Posts: 1964
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:40 pm
What colour is a puck?: black

Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:39 pm

i think it is a case of HNL just having to recognize that Clarenville, Mount Pearl and the CeeBees who want to play hockey together. Mount Pearl and the CeeBees weren't allowed into the old AESHL because of hockey politics. Now the chickens appear to have come home yto roost and HNL is ready to authorize a setup for Mount Pearl, Clarenville and the CeeBees and whoever else wants to play in a league like that ...which isn;t everybody. The Eagles will and the the St. John's Caps probably but I don't know who else.
If that is plan ... I'm not sure it is wrong.Clarenville and the CeeBees need hockey..whatever the past. Two large communities and a city have to be recognized as having a legit claim to a game of hockey. if it comes under the title AESHL that would be fitting. That has been the home of amateur hockey on the east coast. It is certainly all extremely interesting . Go Blades Go ....
I'll check out the calibre in Mount Pearl .anyway and see how they are ....the fries are good at the Glacier and its a great place to watch a game.... ..


.

titan
Posts: 1716
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:54 pm
What colour is a puck?: black

Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:38 am

Hockey Eyes wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:39 pm
i think it is a case of HNL just having to recognize that Clarenville, Mount Pearl and the CeeBees who want to play hockey together. Mount Pearl and the CeeBees weren't allowed into the old AESHL because of hockey politics. Now the chickens appear to have come home yto roost and HNL is ready to authorize a setup for Mount Pearl, Clarenville and the CeeBees and whoever else wants to play in a league like that ...which isn;t everybody. The Eagles will and the the St. John's Caps probably but I don't know who else.
If that is plan ... I'm not sure it is wrong.Clarenville and the CeeBees need hockey..whatever the past. Two large communities and a city have to be recognized as having a legit claim to a game of hockey. if it comes under the title AESHL that would be fitting. That has been the home of amateur hockey on the east coast. It is certainly all extremely interesting . Go Blades Go ....
I'll check out the calibre in Mount Pearl .anyway and see how they are ....the fries are good at the Glacier and its a great place to watch a game.... ..


.
Players getting paid?

Gomez
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:15 pm
What colour is a puck?: black

Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:55 am

Players getting paid?
If the answer was no would you believe it?

Hockey Eyes
Posts: 1964
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:40 pm
What colour is a puck?: black

Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:38 am

I would take a guess and say " No" at least not in the sense they were in the hey-day of the Central West league. Hockey in Newfoundland can't sustain that. It only takes 35 or 40 thousand dollars to run a team without salaries ( travel not included). It is probably a last chance for hockey at a higher level yes ? Clarenville couldn't pay its players... the CeeBees had to get their players to play for nothing a few years ago. Mount pearl say no pay but generous on equipment and things...a few sticks .. gas money etc ... If there are players selling themselves to the highest bidder ... this will
In the end kill the league in a hurry . I don't know how all this will work but...I have an open mind ....
I do know that nobody comes to watch hockey in Mount pearl and it has nothing to do with the calibre of the team. When they were a poor team nobody came... when they were a good team... nobody came either
...

Stadium Fries
Posts: 614
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:17 pm
What colour is a puck?: black

Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:19 pm

Bottom line is this..... If the Caribous, Cee Bees and Mount Pearl want hockey in their stadiums this coming fall and winter it will only be if they play in the Central league with the Cats and Flyers. Failure to agree with that, all five communities will have empty stadiums with regards to senior hockey this coming season. No league on the Avalon wants the Caribous or Cee Bees playing in their league so the decision is up to those teams. Three team leagues don't work. suck it up folks you have one option and one option only. Time will tell.

Gomez
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:15 pm
What colour is a puck?: black

Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:57 pm

Stadium Fries wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:19 pm
Bottom line is this..... If the Caribous, Cee Bees and Mount Pearl want hockey in their stadiums this coming fall and winter it will only be if they play in the Central league with the Cats and Flyers. Failure to agree with that, all five communities will have empty stadiums with regards to senior hockey this coming season. No league on the Avalon wants the Caribous or Cee Bees playing in their league so the decision is up to those teams. Three team leagues don't work. suck it up folks you have one option and one option only. Time will tell.
I can't see mount pearl and cee bees getting teams together to compete with the central unless they raid the ECHL or get some players from teams already in the central. Not to mention the fact that these teams couldn't handle the logistics of the provincial league before. Also... given the same choice last year the cee bees made the decision to have no hockey.
Maybe with Twillingate and a three team east and three team central division.. But I don't know if I see that working..

My guess would be a 4 teams league in central next year with twillingate, cville, gander and gfalls.

I don't know what to expect on east but maybe a 4 team ECSHL same as last year.

aseyeseesit
Posts: 218
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:46 pm
What colour is a puck?: black

Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:36 pm

What about a five team east/central League with Clarenville, Mt.Pearl and CeeBees from east and GFW and Gander as the 'central' element.
There could be 24 game unbalanced schedule - to save travel costs for east teams they play more 'home' than 'away' games.
]The three east teams: Play 4 games 'at home' against each of the other four teams(16 games) and only 2 'away' against the four other teams,(including the two central venues) - 8 games.
The two central teams: Play 4 'away' games against the three east teams (12 games); 2 'home' games against each of the east teams( 6 games); 3 'home' and 'away' games against each other - GFW and Gander - (6 games).

The total games for all teams - 24 games
Most of the players live out east so travel for central teams 'to the east' is not as big an issue as east teams coming out to central...

Annonymous
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:37 am
What colour is a puck?: black

Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:19 am

aseyeseesit wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:36 pm
What about a five team east/central League with Clarenville, Mt.Pearl and CeeBees from east and GFW and Gander as the 'central' element.
There could be 24 game unbalanced schedule - to save travel costs for east teams they play more 'home' than 'away' games.
]The three east teams: Play 4 games 'at home' against each of the other four teams(16 games) and only 2 'away' against the four other teams,(including the two central venues) - 8 games.
The two central teams: Play 4 'away' games against the three east teams (12 games); 2 'home' games against each of the east teams( 6 games); 3 'home' and 'away' games against each other - GFW and Gander - (6 games).

The total games for all teams - 24 games
Most of the players live out east so travel for central teams 'to the east' is not as big an issue as east teams coming out to central...

That schedule option you put forth has some merit behind it. I believe its the best option I've seen to keep senior hockey alive in each of the communities you proposed in the league.

The problem I see, is that the current league managers/executives, will put any decision off until the very last minute (September/October/November) before they either formally end the season/league or someway save it for another year. I believe the current managers/executives are doing an extremely poor job in their positions. If I were in their shoes, I truly believe actions needs to happen immediately, no matter what decision they conclude with.

If they were to approve your type of schedule/league now, it would give them efficient time to maybe recruit another team like Twillingate.

It's July 6, roughly around 100-120 days from when the league could potentially start, I would bet, it will be September before a decision is officially announced. Which is very sad.

Stadium Fries
Posts: 614
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:17 pm
What colour is a puck?: black

Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:42 am

Annonymous wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:19 am
aseyeseesit wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:36 pm
What about a five team east/central League with Clarenville, Mt.Pearl and CeeBees from east and GFW and Gander as the 'central' element.
There could be 24 game unbalanced schedule - to save travel costs for east teams they play more 'home' than 'away' games.
]The three east teams: Play 4 games 'at home' against each of the other four teams(16 games) and only 2 'away' against the four other teams,(including the two central venues) - 8 games.
The two central teams: Play 4 'away' games against the three east teams (12 games); 2 'home' games against each of the east teams( 6 games); 3 'home' and 'away' games against each other - GFW and Gander - (6 games).

The total games for all teams - 24 games
Most of the players live out east so travel for central teams 'to the east' is not as big an issue as east teams coming out to central...

That schedule option you put forth has some merit behind it. I believe its the best option I've seen to keep senior hockey alive in each of the communities you proposed in the league.

The problem I see, is that the current league managers/executives, will put any decision off until the very last minute (September/October/November) before they either formally end the season/league or someway save it for another year. I believe the current managers/executives are doing an extremely poor job in their positions. If I were in their shoes, I truly believe actions needs to happen immediately, no matter what decision they conclude with.

If they were to approve your type of schedule/league now, it would give them efficient time to maybe recruit another team like Twillingate.

It's July 6, roughly around 100-120 days from when the league could potentially start, I would bet, it will be September before a decision is officially announced. Which is very sad.

No need to wait till September for a decision on this schedule. It is terribly for the Cats and Flyers. They bear most of the travel costs for the season and would have less home games to generate income. Further you need a schedule that provides a home game every second weekend. Failure to do that the fans lose interest and refuse to buy tickets. As I stated before a three team league will not work in the East or in Central and a three team East league supported by a two team Central league will not work either. You have to realize that the Central league last year covered the travel costs of the current East league and that experiment was a failure as well.

titan
Posts: 1716
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:54 pm
What colour is a puck?: black

Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:45 am

Are we talking about local unpaid players for this suggested league?

I agree with the no announcement and leaving things till the last second, not even the last minute, it's brutal!!

Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests