Where is the New League ?

Central West Senior Hockey League discussions - Clarenville Caribous, Grand Falls Windsor Cataracts & Gander Flyers.
goboosgo
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Tue May 08, 2018 11:00 am

Hockey Eyes wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 9:16 am
titan wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 8:46 am
Hockey Eyes wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 10:25 am
April has come and gone and the promised new league in the east...four teams or five teams ... hasn't emerged. I was told that all would be revealed in April . The person who told me is a key organizer in one of the " new teams". It didn't happen. Anyone know what is going on ? You don't want to organizing hockey in July and August ..

Are there ANY teams from the new league that was formed last year jumping ship back to the AESHL? I'm HEARING at least 2 are seriously CONSIDERING it. That MAY leave 2 without a game IF it happens.

Can you be even more vague?
Come on Eyes, fill us in on what's happening? We all know you have the inside track in senior hockey inside the overpass.

Hockey Eyes

Tue May 08, 2018 3:26 pm

No bye. I haven't got a click. I thought asking about it would get Mount Pearl to respond ... not a chance....I thought someone in Clarenville might chime in but..... nope ... not a sound ....

goboosgo

Tue May 08, 2018 4:57 pm

Hockey Eyes wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 3:26 pm
No bye. I haven't got a click. I thought asking about it would get Mount Pearl to respond ... not a chance....I thought someone in Clarenville might chime in but..... nope ... not a sound ....
Come on bye, your the senior hockey guru....if anyone knows what's happening in the hockey world inside the overpass it's you.

#1BousFan

Tue May 08, 2018 5:59 pm

:lol:
Clarenville Caribous 2018 Herder Champions
Clarenville Caribous--2012 Herder Champions
Clarenville Caribous- 2011 Allan Cup Champions
Clarenville Caribous- -2010 Herder Champions
Clarenville Caribous- 2009 Herder Champions

madness

Wed May 09, 2018 5:16 pm

Gomez wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 6:45 pm
titan wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 8:59 am
Look for NL born players Jordan Escott, Justin Pender, Brandon Hynes AJ Whiffen and Ryan Desrosier ( if he wants) to be at the Growlers training camp.
ECHL has a salary cap of $12,400 a week, meaning the average player salary is roughly $550 a week. These players are used to getting more than that to play senior on top of their day jobs. I don't suspect you will see many players giving up their careers or day jobs to play hockey in a dead end league for minimum wage.

lots of ways around salary cap. See the following ( St Johns Edge and Senior hockey). But your right i highly doubt Desrosier would give up his teaching career for this. Not sure on the others but had heard a few of these guys don't necessarily have "careers". however the need for local guys may not work. History proved that with the fog devils

aseyeseesit

Wed May 09, 2018 8:57 pm

What I'd like to know is whether there is any talk with/between CeeBees and HNL as where they will fit in with the existing pool of players already playing on Senior "A" teams in CWSHL(3 team's 'worth' of players - approx. 70 players) and in the ECSHL(4 team's 'worth' of players - approx. 92 players) ?
If , as some suggest CeeBees are going to form their own 'new' 4 team League, where is this 'new' League going to find 92 more players? There just is not a pool of that many 'new' players to make a Senior "A" League. There are not enough players out there for three Senior "A" Leagues - one of the Leagues will have to be destroyed/eliminated to enable a sufficient pool of players...
So why don't the minds in NL hockey get together and foster : (i) a large one ; or (ii) a two (?) Leagues scenario, and pool all the current "A" players and whatever former CeeBees players who want to come back into "A" hockey, get back in that type way, rather than try and create a whole new 4 team League... ?

Gomez

Thu May 10, 2018 11:24 am

aseyeseesit wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 8:57 pm
What I'd like to know is whether there is any talk with/between CeeBees and HNL as where they will fit in with the existing pool of players already playing on Senior "A" teams in CWSHL(3 team's 'worth' of players - approx. 70 players) and in the ECSHL(4 team's 'worth' of players - approx. 92 players) ?
If , as some suggest CeeBees are going to form their own 'new' 4 team League, where is this 'new' League going to find 92 more players? There just is not a pool of that many 'new' players to make a Senior "A" League. There are not enough players out there for three Senior "A" Leagues - one of the Leagues will have to be destroyed/eliminated to enable a sufficient pool of players...
So why don't the minds in NL hockey get together and foster : (i) a large one ; or (ii) a two (?) Leagues scenario, and pool all the current "A" players and whatever former CeeBees players who want to come back into "A" hockey, get back in that type way, rather than try and create a whole new 4 team League... ?
I would be inclined to agree with you if it wasn't for the fact that Cville is moving east as a last ditch effort to keep senior hockey alive in their community. Gander and Grandfalls will need to get creative to keep it alive in their communities. Which may mean something more similar to the WCSHL.

I would agree that there is not room for two leagues on the east. The ECSHL should be dissolved, it was a bit of a joke last year. Most teams struggled to put full lineups on the ice with games even getting cancelled due to lack of players. A league with the Cee Bees, Cville, Mt Pearl and a couple others (Torbay, Paradise, Southern Shore, CBS) would be a drastic improvement from last years debacle.

Gobreakers

Thu May 10, 2018 1:22 pm

Excellent post Gomez. The approach you are suggesting provides an excellent framework for HNL to create a really good senior hockey league on the east coast. Hopefully they are able to put aside the pettiness that was so obvious last year when the Ceebees were kicked to the curb and HNL did nothing to help the Ceebees organization or their great fan base.

canonball

Thu May 10, 2018 8:29 pm

A great fan base it was only 2 or 3 years ago that they had trouble finishing out the year and were asking for fans to come out and support the team . Now they have a great fan base ,how about the fact that they were winning with a team of paid players . I think that had a lot to do with their fan base

Gomez

Thu May 10, 2018 11:41 pm

canonball wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 8:29 pm
A great fan base it was only 2 or 3 years ago that they had trouble finishing out the year and were asking for fans to come out and support the team . Now they have a great fan base ,how about the fact that they were winning with a team of paid players . I think that had a lot to do with their fan base
Clearly your opinion is clouded by your bitterness and negativity towards the cee bees.

I remember watching bay of island play the royals in a sold out pepsi centre. I remember lineups outside the Clarenville events centre 2 hours before the game so people could get their spot on the rail. Who would of thought in 2008 deer lake would have trouble getting fans to go to thier games.

Senior Hockey is a constant cycle of growth and decline. Regardless of what happened, or what you want to believe happened do to your ill feeling towards the cee bees.

• Information