Where is the New League ?

Central West Senior Hockey League discussions - Clarenville Caribous, Grand Falls Windsor Cataracts & Gander Flyers.
madness
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:58 pm
What colour is a puck?: black

Tue May 29, 2018 1:35 pm

Your gonna see a lot more then a cup of tea. The Growlkers have said they are actively recruiting top players in NL senior. I would be some of themgive it a go. Especially the guys with no career and living on the Hockey money.

Gomez
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:15 pm
What colour is a puck?: black

Tue May 29, 2018 3:43 pm

madness wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 1:35 pm
Your gonna see a lot more then a cup of tea. The Growlkers have said they are actively recruiting top players in NL senior. I would be some of themgive it a go. Especially the guys with no career and living on the Hockey money.
I can see them getting someone local in transition from playing junior/college away. I just don't see the lure for anyone with a life outside of hockey. With the maximum rookie salary being $520 bucks a week and the average salary being $550/week I just don't see why anyone would be interested in playing full time. The guys playing senior have had their chance to play professional hockey and have moved on with their lives. There is nothing glorious about the ECHL. Most hockey fans wouldn't be able to name a team in the league before the growlers.

While I'm excited to get hockey back in Mile One realistically the ECHL is a last stop shop for professional hockey players giving it one last go. Most players are mid to early 20's with a very low percentage of players over 30. These are good hockey players in peak physical shape that are still used to practicing every day. Even some of the top senior hockey players would not of made an impact on an ECHL team in their primes and the ones that could of didn't waste thier time at it.

titan
Posts: 1716
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:54 pm
What colour is a puck?: black

Wed May 30, 2018 7:19 am

Gomez wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 3:43 pm
madness wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 1:35 pm
Your gonna see a lot more then a cup of tea. The Growlkers have said they are actively recruiting top players in NL senior. I would be some of themgive it a go. Especially the guys with no career and living on the Hockey money.
I can see them getting someone local in transition from playing junior/college away. I just don't see the lure for anyone with a life outside of hockey. With the maximum rookie salary being $520 bucks a week and the average salary being $550/week I just don't see why anyone would be interested in playing full time. The guys playing senior have had their chance to play professional hockey and have moved on with their lives. There is nothing glorious about the ECHL. Most hockey fans wouldn't be able to name a team in the league before the growlers.

While I'm excited to get hockey back in Mile One realistically the ECHL is a last stop shop for professional hockey players giving it one last go. Most players are mid to early 20's with a very low percentage of players over 30. These are good hockey players in peak physical shape that are still used to practicing every day. Even some of the top senior hockey players would not of made an impact on an ECHL team in their primes and the ones that could of didn't waste thier time at it.
Don't forget despite what the league is or isn't it will be the biggest hockey show in NL, that alone will draw a few guys to camp given the opportunity. Where it will go from there is anyones guess.

Flyer24
Posts: 768
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:28 pm
What colour is a puck?: black

Wed May 30, 2018 11:11 am

Was reading an arcticle in the Western Star a few days ago, one Manager sugested players were being paid last season and that things aren't as good as certain posters would want us to believe. Interesting indeed. lol

As for the Growlers, I expect them to have some local players, but would be very doubtful if anyone who played in the CWSHL last year was involved mainly due to the fact that most of these guys already have real jobs. Alot of players we watched regularly came back from the ECHL to play here. Pender, and O'Keefe in recent years. Some actually made more $$ in NL.

Oh just a fan
Posts: 867
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:03 pm
What colour is a puck?: black

Wed May 30, 2018 8:29 pm

If anyone thinks for one minute that players weren’t being paid in the West league then they’re out to lunch. No way players like Bishop and Simms walked away from the Central league for nothing.

top cheese
Posts: 443
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 12:36 am
What colour is a puck?: black

Thu May 31, 2018 1:57 am

they said they were actively recruiting NLders graduating from Major Junior and those in the minor pro ranks.

I think the thing is that alot of the top level senior hockey players in NL are ECHL caliber or have already played at that level. Most are not going back to play in that bush league just because there is a NL team. Most of the players on this team are going to be players on two way ahl contracts who the leafs sign from NCAA and are lower end draft picks who have to start lower on the pro totum pole then the AHL.

The thing to remember though and using the ahl as a comparission. Players get called up, Players might sign up, and players leave to go to europe, players quit mid-season to go back to school, and players get hurt. so the roster at this level is in more of a state of flux then the AHL. Replacements have to be found even for a few games. Where are they going to come from particularly in an outpost like NL where it make take time to bring someone in. DOnt be surprised if you see some higher end with ex pro experience have a run of games as a call up when needed.

madness
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:58 pm
What colour is a puck?: black

Thu May 31, 2018 6:39 pm

Hockey Eyes wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 4:49 pm
The Newfoundland Growlers will be looking for a couple of players for " spot" duty for their home games. These are players that wouldn't be part of the road show. No player with full time employment would want to go that route. The Baby Leafs did that...
Not from what im hearing. Spot duty wont be for some of the guys they are going after. Look to some of the less employed types to score full time gigs

Unidentified Source
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:15 pm
What colour is a puck?: black
Location: Back Ally

Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:04 am

Oh just a fan wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 8:29 pm
If anyone thinks for one minute that players weren’t being paid in the West league then they’re out to lunch. No way players like Bishop and Simms walked away from the Central league for nothing.
You are spot on. Word throughout the league had the Red Wings ponying up $10K for the season and after shopping a couple teams at $300/game, the Royals ended up with the services. Colbourne was paid as a coach and then played, so he ended up a paid player. And toward the end of the season the Red Wings dished out $50/game per player for their roster after some internal turmoil. The Royals gave a $300 "gift" to all their players at the end of the season.

Why don't the Royals and Red Wings join with the Cats and Flyers so they can all self-destruct and start the cycle all over again? That's what's bound to happen. I'd say the only ones that have learnt their lessons are the town councils... those teams won't be allowed to run up bills to be unpaid again this time!

Hockey Eyes
Posts: 1964
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:40 pm
What colour is a puck?: black

Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:50 pm

It would seem that the Royals taking the available pot of money and then splitting it up at the end of the season is a very natural thing to do. Spending money you DON'T have on salaries is what drove the other league into the ditch. The west coast league is smiling all the way to the bank.Nobody is getting 35 thousand dollars but a few bucks for services after a successful season is also no problem. The next move for the west would be something along the lines of revenue sharing.

Flyer24
Posts: 768
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:28 pm
What colour is a puck?: black

Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:54 pm

Once again, Hockey Eyes knows all.

Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 11 guests