The goal horns have sounded for the last time

Central West Senior Hockey League discussions - Clarenville Caribous, Grand Falls Windsor Cataracts & Gander Flyers.
newfiebullet110
What colour is a puck?: black

Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:15 pm

Have heard a rumbling tonight that the experiment to revive the CWSHL has finally died and there will be no hockey in our region this year. To bad but the teams really don’t have anyone to blame but themselves. Everyone of them tried to outspend the other and that is ultimately the reason for the demise of our league.If this is indeed true It was a great run of excellent hockey.

thelionsden

Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:00 pm

I agree it is the end...but to say is has to do with teams out spending each other is not totally correct. Have salaries needed to come down, absolutely...and they have over the last few years..measures have been put in place to lower budgets other than less pay...IE..lower the number of roster players. The biggest issue is the fan attendance...which has dropped of quite a bit over the years. There are many reasons for that which I have touched on over the past few years...lack of fights in games, which it of fans like to see..like it or not it puts Butt's in the seats and increases intensity.
Another big issue is all the travel that goes on with minor hockey...which has had a big increase over they past 4-5 years...there is only so much disposable cash flow going around. I used to book a lot of the travel buses for fans and we always had a bus on the away weekends...those days are long gone.

It's not the fault of the people involved..the Cataracts organization which I can only speak of have put in a lot of hours over the summer to try and make things work for 2018/2019..i would assume or at least hope the other teams have as well.
I just thing one team threw the other under the bus at the most difficult time and this team had 2 full years to get their ducks in a row..something is fishy here..agree or not...i smell a rat.

Going to be a long winter in Central.

I want to say a public thank you to those who worked all summer long to try and make this work...great effort folkes.

a1v

Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:46 am

i am hearing the same thing bullet also hearing some players are already asking for there release from there teams they are with.cant blame the ceebees for this from what i hear they got the funds to play what happened is a mystery right now.all the organizations need new people with open minds for this to continue.but i will bet the three teams will deflect this on the ceebees as there fault.

newfiebullet110

Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:22 am

Lionsden first I want to thank you for your many hours of dedication to senior hockey. But I have to disagree with you. Teams have been out spending each other since the inception of hockey and it was no different here in Newfoundland. There are lots of examples of this. Teams outbidding other teams for imports should be an easy one for your organization to understand !!

You say that there were measures put in place to reduce costs to teams. Tell me how that went. They reduced teams to 18 players but the savings there were minimal as it was the $100 a game players who were left without a game. Team payrolls were supposed to be cut but we all know that was a farce. The pharse “working within a budget” doesn’t exist in senior hockey and we all know that. Cash cash cash.

How you can say it’s not the organizations fault is beyond me. It’s a cut throat business and teams will do whatever they can to out last the others. Sure look at Gander and Clarenville the last few seasons. They were both spending way beyond their means just so they didn’t have to be the ones to fold first. Teams put themselves in huge debts because of this.

You say fan attendance is a major issue and I agree but it hasn’t got to do with fighting as much as you say. The lack of high intensity hockey like we had for a number of years went the way of the imports. When they left, hockey in Newfoundland went downhill.

As for the ceebees who you are referring to well you know what that team do have their act together and that’s the reason all other teams don’t want anything to do with them. It’s to bad that the blame will be placed on them for the demise of this league but wasn’t it the central league who kicked them out in the first place. Coming back to bite you in the ass now hey. What goes around comes around.

newfiebullet110

Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:25 am

a1v wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:46 am
i am hearing the same thing bullet also hearing some players are already asking for there release from there teams they are with.cant blame the ceebees for this from what i hear they got the funds to play what happened is a mystery right now.all the organizations need new people with open minds for this to continue.but i will bet the three teams will deflect this on the ceebees as there fault.
Been hearing the same thing that a lot of players have asked for their release so they can play elsewhere. I guess the GMs will be busy on Monday releasing players. All levels of hockey brass that have anything to do with senior hockey here in the province need to be totally wiped clean and a new breed brought in. The old boys club has to go. But I’m afraid it’s to late for that now

thelionsden

Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:41 am

Newfie, we will have to agree to disagree on this one. And I can only speak about the cataracts organization, as that's the one I follow most. They work 12 months a year to make senior hockey Viable and to keep a good product on the ice. There has not been one week taken off for fundraising. Bingo all summer , annual Golf tournament, ticket draws...you name it....their at it. I seen a post on the Flyer's Facebook page where they announced the weekly bingo will be on hiatus until the fall. To me, that's a lack of commitment in my eyes.

I don't want to come on here and sling around blame on the other teams...We all know teams were trying to out spend the others, but I really believe that that was taking a turn for the better. You can't pave that road in 1 season, but you can clear the path for it.

As for not keeping the fan's in the know? Again I will say this....the only team that I seen any announcements from was the Cataracts. I'm not sure who ASEYESEEIT is...but i'm pretty sure they have the inside info on what went on all summer...and he/she let the public know it....those are facts.

As for the Cee Bees.... i'd like to know why they pulled out at the 11th hour? I'd like to know why they wrote in the paper that this was a 1 yr trial, i'd like to know why they would write in a paper that this was not their choice to play in this league? All these things might be true, but you putting a bad word on the new league before it even started.

Mark my words... there will be Senior hockey in CBN, if not this season, most certainly next season. With the players from the east who are property of the Cats and Flyers looking for a game, they will land in this newly formed league.....Watch how this all plays out....This will be the AESHL all over again where the Cee Bee's will be buying 1st round picks and trading 4 line player straight up for 1st liner's...MARK IT DOWN.

MY opinion...

titan

Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:11 pm

Where is HNL and League President Neil Northcott? Craig Tulk and Neil were both happy to appear on the news when a deal was imminent but now that it's blown up nothing.

It will be interesting to see if players that are asking to be released are from all 3 teams in the CWSHL or just the Flyers and Cats? If the AESHL is going to try and make a go of it this season at all I think the Bous have to be in that picture.

Time to shut it down for this season and see where it goes for next year imo.

aseyeseesit

Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:35 pm

There is a point in time when there MUST be a final decision on what is happening for his season for senior hockey... and I think that that 'point' is now - today even.
Expect an answer on it all before the sun sets on this day!
Will it be the CeeBees , who walked away suddenly from the 'deal' on a revamped CWSHL reached at the end of the HNL meetings, who will be in a new League of their creation - with GFW and Gander out in the cold?
Or, will the CeeBees be out in the cold, and 2 'central' teams from Gander and GFW "joining" with ECSHL teams under a single "joint" venture - adjusting rosters , doing a common Draft, or doing whatever else creative thing they can come up with , so as to "create" a new and unexpected version of senior hockey for the 2018-2019 Season?

titan

Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:49 pm

aseyeseesit wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:35 pm
There is a point in time when there MUST be a final decision on what is happening for his season for senior hockey... and I think that that 'point' is now - today even.
Expect an answer on it all before the sun sets on this day!
Will it be the CeeBees , who walked away suddenly from the 'deal' on a revamped CWSHL reached at the end of the HNL meetings, who will be in a new League of their creation - with GFW and Gander out in the cold?
Or, will the CeeBees be out in the cold, and 2 'central' teams from Gander and GFW "joining" with ECSHL teams under a single "joint" venture - adjusting rosters , doing a common Draft, or doing whatever else creative thing they can come up with , so as to "create" a new and unexpected version of senior hockey for the 2018-2019 Season?
Why no mention of the Bous? I'm assuming they are still looking for a game.

Seniorfan

Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:12 pm

To quote Mark Twain "The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated". To quote Tom Cod " Stay tuned".

• Information