Flyers and Caribous make trade

Central West Senior Hockey League discussions - Clarenville Caribous, Grand Falls Windsor Cataracts & Gander Flyers.
titan
What colour is a puck?: black

Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:47 pm

canonball wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:26 pm
Don’t have to go in the draft
Wasn't eligible to enter the draft

Flyer24

Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:00 am

I forgot about Oake, who was solid all last season for the Flyers.

The Puck

Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:04 pm

And the cats got the Blades too so they can get players from if they need them so going to be hard for any teams to bear the cats or flyers this year. I don't think this year is going to be fair.

Hockey Eyes

Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:14 am

That is true but this a survival year for the two last teams from Central. This league is essentially gone with the decision by the CB's that playing in Central just didn't work . This is a stop gap measure to hold things together for a year. I have watched the Conception Bay Blues and they are a strong team this year for the EAST. I don't think realistically they can compete with Grand Falls or Gander but I will pay money for the first games anyway between the teams.. The Eagles are nothing like they used to be and some of their players have moved to the Shore but it different in this league. this is a game of hockey for young men who want to play. That's all it is. One team will win and all the other teams will lose and not many fans will show up . there will be more for Clarenville and Grand Falls and Gander.... when they come in but this is a game of hockey .That's the spirit of the league so everybody should give it a look and see how it is. If I'm entertained...I'm coming back ...if not ...I'll go to Junior but this senior league in here is not a league based .fund raising or big attendance... its a game of amateur hockey.

Seniorfan

Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:25 pm

All seven teams are amateur teams. I guess the difference is that fans out this way like to get out, watch amateur hockey and support their players. That's why it's played here. Designed with fans in mind.

Oh just a fan

Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:43 pm

Don’t kid yourself if the Flyers and Cats didn’t pay players the team wouldn’t be near as strong. The caliber would fall and fans wouldn’t come watch. If you don’t believe me go watch a Blades game and count the fans. GFW wouldn’t support the Cats at all if they weren’t a powerhouse paying machine.

canonball

Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:05 pm

Oh just a fan wrote:
Don’t kid yourself if the Flyers and Cats didn’t pay players the team wouldn’t be near as strong. The caliber would fall and fans wouldn’t come watch. If you don’t believe me go watch a Blades game and count the fans. GFW wouldn’t support the Cats at all if they weren’t a powerhouse paying machine.
Agree with you there .no fans are going to watch a team getting blown out all games . They have to be competitive and it has to be entertaining

Seniorfan

Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:52 pm

Oh just a fan wrote:
Not really sure how that relates to my comment or how I'm "kidding myself". Your partialy right however. nit only wouldn't they be as strong, in fact, If the teams in central couldn't remunerate players they wouldn't have teams at all. Most players today (as opposed to back in the 70's and before) live in the st John's region so without some incentive they'd have no reason to give up every weekend during the winter to travel across the island for two games of hockey. They could simply stay home and play for nothing. The "pay" makes up for all the time they have to give up as opposed to simply staying home. Each player can decide which option they prefer. They have to balance the alternatives based on their own priorities. It doesn't magically make them better players. Frankly I've never understood why there has been so much interest by fans in who's getting paid. And i stand by my previous comment that while, as Hockey Eyes asserts, that the ECSHL exists to give guys a game of hockey, the CWSHL exists to give fans a game of hockey to go watch. If fans stopped coming out to the games there would be no reason to do all the work that goes into icing a team out here and they'd simply fold. Maybe the two leagues do have different agendas but can work together to meet the objectives of both. Let's hope so for the enjoyment of everyone.

Oh just a fan

Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:26 pm

Not sure how it relates? You stated that the fans come out to watch amateur hockey. Amateur means non paid. And you also said the fans support the team. My point was that they only support cause they win. They only win cause the players they have. They only have the players they have due to paying. I can promise you if the Cats didn’t pay the rinks would look the same as the east rinks, empty. So stop trying to make it seem like the fans here in GFW are the reasons the team are successful. It all starts with money.

I guess all I was trying to say Is that the Cats aren’t an amateur hockey team.

Seniorfan

Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:05 pm

Oh just a fan wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:26 pm

Not sure how it relates? You stated that the fans come out to watch amateur hockey. Amateur means non paid. And you also said the fans support the team. My point was that they only support cause they win. They only win cause the players they have. They only have the players they have due to paying. I can promise you if the Cats didn’t pay the rinks would look the same as the east rinks, empty. So stop trying to make it seem like the fans here in GFW are the reasons the team are successful. It all starts with money.

I guess all I was trying to say Is that the Cats aren’t an amateur hockey team.
Incorrect on both fronts. The Cataracts are an amateur hockey team under the HC definition. As i once said to Hockey Eyes, you can't just make up your own definition to suit your agenda. As far as fans only supporting a winning team, history proves this not to be true. From 2001-2010 the Cataracts had a losing team with not a single Herder appearance yet had great fan support. My comment, once again, is that the reason for the existence of teams out this way is first and foremost to provide a game for fans. Remuneration allows that too happen.

• Information