Team of the Decade

Central West Senior Hockey League discussions - Clarenville Caribous, Grand Falls Windsor Cataracts & Gander Flyers.
tincanfan
Posts: 186
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:10 am
What colour is a puck?: black

Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:57 pm

In reference to pick-ups for the Allan Cup. I was in Red Deer when the Bous competed. Noticing that quite a few locals were cheering for the Bous. AS one lady said "my son that General team is not the team that played all year. They have picked up players from everywhere and the most of the locals are sitting out. " Enough said on the fairness of hockey locally or nationally,,,,

Tomcod
Posts: 5732
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:41 pm
What colour is a puck?: black

Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:14 pm

Hockey Eyes wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:13 pm
And I know which team is professional and which team doesn't pay it's players.
Yes and everyone knows your track record Hockey Lies.. What a joker the imports are gone and they load up an east all star team and they still cant beat the amature Cats .. What a team whata record , what a legacy .. Five herders and one Allan Cup in the last nine year , get your head around that Lies and eat you lying heart out .. stay tuned ..

AEfan
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:52 pm
What colour is a puck?: black

Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:03 pm

Hockey Eyes wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:01 pm
thelionsden wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:24 pm
Here's a question for you Hockey eyes and I don't know the answer, but i'd like to have it explained to me by you and only you. How did some of the players from the Torbay Eagles ended up with the S.S. Breakers this season? not looking for sarcasm, just a good explanation.

I saw that " trade" and I was astonished as you were... why would players just be going to the Breakers for essentially not much in return.... just some honest guys who wanted to play amateur hockey. It was very much a transition year of the the Northeast Eagles. ? I asked around and was given an answer by someone who SHOULD know .. It was that it was the trade was a form of loan and it was only a gentleman's agreement and the players who really wanted a shot at winning it all this year would be headed back to the Eagles. Since then I have been told only two would be coming back..
Will this happen ? I don;t know ? Who knows in senior hockey ? I will say the person who told me also told me the delay in announcing the number of pickups for the Herder was going to be three if the Breakers were the east coast reps or two if it was the Caribous .
The someone you claim who should be in the know, I can guarantee you is not. The former Northeast players that are now with the Breakers are there for good. No loans, or contingencies or anything other than the straight up trade that transpired. I don’t know how many times I have to state this as it is actual fact, and not a rumour.

AEfan
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:52 pm
What colour is a puck?: black

Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:08 pm

Oh just a fan wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:20 pm
Mark Yetman was 100% getting paid. Now HockeyLies stop pretending you know anything that goes on out there. You're part of the problem. You and your big boys club you idolize. Just do us all a favour and stop with the bs posts man.
He was 100% not. Just like every other player on the team.

shorefan19
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:01 pm
What colour is a puck?: black

Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:15 pm

AEfan wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:08 pm
Oh just a fan wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:20 pm
Mark Yetman was 100% getting paid. Now HockeyLies stop pretending you know anything that goes on out there. You're part of the problem. You and your big boys club you idolize. Just do us all a favour and stop with the bs posts man.
He was 100% not. Just like every other player on the team.
Exactly AEfan, no one from southern shore was getting paid. They're in a league where paying players is forbidden, SS follows the rules and plays the game fair. SS played the herder with a full roster of players who many could be professional and getting paid elsewhere but opt to play for the breakers for hometown pride and the love of the game and that's what senior hockey should be all about.

Hoping the breakers come back next season with a great team like this season and win the herder next year because they deserve to win it. Sure grand falls won this past weekend but many of them got huge cheques after the fact. If the breakers had won, hometown pride would have been payment enough. This paying racket is the main reason why the breakers exited the AESHL in 2010 because they could not afford to begin paying a full roster of players like Clarenville, CBN, Grand Falls, Deer Lake and Corner Brook were doing.

I hope grand falls and gander team up with the east next year because its good hockey BUT no more paying players, I personally think this is ridiculous.

Just my opinion, I have nothing against the cats or anyone who cheers for them its just my personal opinion on the situation.

Gomez
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:15 pm
What colour is a puck?: black

Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:40 am

Tomcod wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:14 pm
Hockey Eyes wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:13 pm
And I know which team is professional and which team doesn't pay it's players.
Yes and everyone knows your track record Hockey Lies.. What a joker the imports are gone and they load up an east all star team and they still cant beat the amature Cats .. What a team whata record , what a legacy .. Five herders and one Allan Cup in the last nine year , get your head around that Lies and eat you lying heart out .. stay tuned ..
Allen cups aside it's pretty clear the Cats have been the team of the decade. The Bous have 1 herder win out of the last 7. Most The Cast have gone between wins is 2. Cats Organization has done well over the years to draft some young players and develop them into top end talent, which is something the other teams never thought of until the money started running out.

Just look at their top five scorers in the regular season last year. Would love to know where these guys were taken in the draft. I know most of these players might of started out with 5-7 pts in their first years in the league.

1. Brandon Bussey 22 10 10 20
2. Danny Wicks 22 13 7 20
3. Michael Cole 22 6 13 19
4. Kyle McGuirk 22 10 8 18
5. Nicklas Lindstrom 20 7 11 18

Cats and bous are both strong organizations that have a lot of good people behind the scenes of course but I have to give the edge to the Cats for sure.

royalcat
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:05 pm
What colour is a puck?: black

Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:43 am

Don’t understand this.Cause the Cat’s and Flyer’s players are getting a few dollars this makes them better hockey players?Cats won the Herder against an east coast all star team fair and square.They won by their players skills not because they got a few $.So if the all star team were getting more $ than they were would they have won? Time to give it a rest Cats organization just know how to build a team of great hockey players.Because someone gives me a few $ I am not going to be a great golfer,I have to have the skills before the money comes in.

thelionsden
Posts: 1356
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 11:19 am
What colour is a puck?: black

Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:40 am

Shore19, I respect your opinion, but I have to disagree with some of your points. You mentioned that a lot of your players could have come to the west for the money, but the opted not to. I would think it's more than just opting out. It would have to do with work. family and other commitments that would not allow them to commit to traveling 4 hrs on a weekend to play hockey and that's understandable. the Shore definitely does have players capable of playing in the west, that's a given.

This thing going on in Central is not what it was, players are not getting paid what they use to 2-3 years ago, budgets have been adjusted BIG TIME. This is not professional hockey, far from it, no contracts, players have much more important things in their lives now then hockey...this is a weekend thing were these guys give of their time and are compensated for it...as they should be.

I will also contest the comments about players pride, the players for the cataracts who have been here for a while have a lot of pride for the Jersey and the fans of our local team. When I see guys sacrifice their bodies to block shots weather it's early or late in the game.....that shows me pride. Players like Cole, Wicks, Lidstrom and Simms, who have no roots here putting there bodies on the line speaks volumes about their pride for crest on the front of their jersey and not the name on their backs. Taking time to sign a jersey, photo opts and high five every kid when they come off the ice speaks volumes of the Culture that is set by the organization. I bet you ask any of these players when their done playing and those that have moved on over the years, the best part about playing in GFW was the winning culture that was set up and how well that were treated and of course the FANS.

Lets hope it continues next year and beyond.

Gomez
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:15 pm
What colour is a puck?: black

Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:09 pm

https://www.thewesternstar.com/sports/h ... ts-122042/

Pretty relevant article on this topic from about a decade ago.

Quote from Canning
"We are trying to build the team with good character guys and it may be a slow process but we are moving towards that," he said. "Fans have to be patient. It is hard on my nerves, too. I think we are a team now that is built for the long haul.

Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests