What needs to happen

Central West Senior Hockey League discussions - Clarenville Caribous, Grand Falls Windsor Cataracts & Gander Flyers.
wingsdiehard
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:18 pm

https://www.thewesternstar.com/opinion/ ... ey-367993/

Great solution, to a never ending cycle of uncertainty.

Stadium Fries

Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:39 pm

wingsdiehard wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:18 pm
https://www.thewesternstar.com/opinion/ ... ey-367993/

Great solution, to a never ending cycle of uncertainty.
I would suggest that the Cats and Flyers have approached Corner Brook and Port Aux Basque long ago with an attempt to get something going. I would also suggest that it was turned down the same way the East teams said no.

aseyeseesit

Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:26 pm

As I see it, from direct knowledge, the west coast teams do not want to go back to the openly organized paid players level of hockey, ( whether they be 'local' or import ).
FYI, I am not sure there actually will be a west coast league, as a league under HNL Constitution rules must consist of at least 3 teams: and it looks like only two teams from last year's three(3)teams is currently actively able and interested ...
On the east coast, the AESHL in the past with the 'usual' 4 teams, have always been an 'ad hoc', unorganized operation - "getting a hockey stick for Xmas" type of venture, so they have not in recent history been a position to raise the money necessary to do much paying of players, in order to have a higher level of competition. The newly, ratcheted down version of the Caribous, ( who don't have the money anymore to do much , behind closed doors, paying of players), are now in the category - more or less - of the remaining(?) 4 ECSHL teams. So, there is no real appetite on the east coast eithert to get into the higher level hockey that an organized, fund-raising operation like the last two teams of the CWSHL in Gander and GFW have.
Thus, unless the CeeBees - who have several hundred thousand dollars in their 'bank' , from the Chase the Ace a couple of years ago - somehow get back in hockey, then, everyone will be out of hockey this season! That is: the west looks like only 2 teams alive; central has only 2 teams willing and alive; and, the east ,with its apparent 5 ecshl teams, have gotten themselves into a pickle fighting the CeeBees, and , as a result in a battle with HNL. All not good...

top cheese

Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:54 am

The problem with Senior Hockey is the lack of ethical leaders. Irresponsibility has killed the game.

Unfortunately the only way for senior hockey to succeed outside the overpass is to pay players like every other senior AAA league in the country. The problem is teams cant responsibly manage there money.

Its to bad because the quality of hockey in the province will never be the same

Flyer24

Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:28 am

The quality of hockey peaked about 3 years ago. I spoke to a player a few days ago who's mid 30's. He said he can still manage to play only because its much slower than when we had imports.

So it seems like Senior in Central is dead. The kids who come to the rinks on Saturday nights are the real losers here. Senior hockey gives them something to do with their buddies, and something to look forward to playing when they get older. Not to mention great fundraising opportunities. In any case, it was great while it lasted.

• Information