The Latest From The Telegram

Central West Senior Hockey League discussions - Clarenville Caribous, Grand Falls Windsor Cataracts & Gander Flyers.
Post Reply
Hockey Eyes
Posts: 1945
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:40 pm
What colour is a puck?: black

Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:37 am

From this AMs edition of the Telegram ... It is posted elsewhere ...
________________________________________________________________________________________________
Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:01 am

This from The Telegram today. . It looks like HNL got what they wanted everywhere and Grand falls and Gander should be down on their knees thanking them. Here is the article .
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"League’s five returning teams all see action this weekend; CeeBees won’t start play until later this month"

It’s happening a couple of weeks later than originally planned, but the East Coast Senior Hockey League will begin its 2019-20 regular-season schedule tonight with games in St. John’s and Torbay.

Officially, the season-opener will be a 7:30 p.m. matchup at Twin Rinks, where the St. John’s Caps will host the defending ECSHL champion Southern Shore Puglisevich Breakers. A half hour later at Jack Byrne Arena in Torbay, the puck will drop to begin a game between the Clarenville Ford Caribous and The Bigs Northeast Eagles.

The league’s fifth returning team, the Conception Bay Blues, plays its first game Saturday at the Eastlink Events in Clarenville, where they will take on the Caribous. Start time of that one is 7:30 p.m.

There is a sixth ECSHL entry this year, and the late addition of the Harbour Grace Ocean Enterprise Ceebee Stars is the reason for the later-than-planned startup.

The CeeBees’ application to join the ECSHL had been rejected by the other teams in September, but Hockey Newfoundland and Labrador later ruled the league had to accept the Harbour Grace-based team or risked being unsanctioned by Hockey NL and, by extension, Hockey Canada. It’s a ruling that was later upheld by Hockey Canada’s appeals committee.

That led to negotiations between the CeeBees and the rest of the league, a process which necessitated the league start-up being twice delayed; it was only just over a week ago that an agreement was reached to bring the CeeBees into the fold.

It also means the CeeBees will be getting underway later than the rest of the league. Team president Mark Reynolds told The Telegram Thursday there was recognition within the ECSHL that the CeeBees would need more time to organize properly; he suggested a schedule for his club could be finalized by this weekend, with the likelihood of the CeeBees playing their first games, including their first home game at the Danny Cleary Community Centre, on the last week end of the month.

Reynolds added the CeeBees, who have preliminary roster of more than 20 players, were to hold their first practice Thursday night.

There is a fourth game on the ECSHL schedulke this weekend. That ‘sSunday (7 p.m.) at the Ken Williams Southern Shore Arena in Mobile as the Breakers take on the Eagles after having raised their 2018-19 league championship banner.

Overall, the league is expected to have 60 regular-season games, or 20 per team, although the CeeBees’ schedule may be different, depending on whether they play interlocking games against the Grand Falls-Windsor Cataracts and Gander Flyers, who make up a two-team Central-West Senior Hockey League.

sports@thetelegram.com

Nlhockeyfan1234
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:17 pm
What colour is a puck?: black

Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:28 pm

? Why should the central league be thankful. If anything it should be the teams on the Avalon that should be thankful, as they got what they wanted. They got a league on the Avalon after much pressure from HNL, but only that HNL catered to them in the end. They get to play hockey under the senior hockey banner and yet not have to play central and be shamed off the ice for what they really are rec league players. Don’t know why only one team from the league as to play inter league, must be some kind of favouritism. Any good league would welcome the completion ho but then any we are talking senior caliber players playing rec hockey players.
What really needs to happen is for the Avalon league get of their asses and fund raise and graner sponsons and put forth a real senior team in an all No league. But then again they don’t have too, they have HNL on their bench. I’m sure come herder time the final team of senior hockey players on the Avalon will be sanctioned by HNL to put together an all star team to play for the Herder as that have every year
In the end I hope it all works out and all parties come together to sort out the issue what ever they are for the survival and betterment senior hockey in Nl.

User avatar
herder head
Posts: 634
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:54 pm

Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:44 pm

So is CBN interlocking with the central teams or not? It's mid November and this should be settled. And if they are why are they the only east team that is doing so?

NLHockeyInsider
Posts: 187
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:56 am
What colour is a puck?: black

Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:02 pm

Nlhockeyfan1234 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:28 pm
? Why should the central league be thankful. If anything it should be the teams on the Avalon that should be thankful, as they got what they wanted. They got a league on the Avalon after much pressure from HNL, but only that HNL catered to them in the end. They get to play hockey under the senior hockey banner and yet not have to play central and be shamed off the ice for what they really are rec league players. Don’t know why only one team from the league as to play inter league, must be some kind of favouritism. Any good league would welcome the completion ho but then any we are talking senior caliber players playing rec hockey players.
What really needs to happen is for the Avalon league get of their asses and fund raise and graner sponsons and put forth a real senior team in an all No league. But then again they don’t have too, they have HNL on their bench. I’m sure come herder time the final team of senior hockey players on the Avalon will be sanctioned by HNL to put together an all star team to play for the Herder as that have every year
In the end I hope it all works out and all parties come together to sort out the issue what ever they are for the survival and betterment senior hockey in Nl.
What a steaming pile of crap from some “know it all”. I think it’s the Central West that should be happy to have a game of hockey this winter while using mostly players from the Avalon to ice their teams. Without players from the Avalon the Cats or Flyers would have to play in the Central Intermediate League.

As for fundraising, again you have no clue what you’re talking about. It’s like Bluesfan said in another thread, the teams out here in the East don’t have the luxury of being the main recipient of fundraising sponsorship dollars in their community because there is a lot more competition for fundraising and sponsorship dollars here on the Avalon. Any organization or individual who does have money to give would much rather give it to one of the many many minor hockey associations here on the Avalon.

Btw, not a bad crowd here at Twin Rinks for the season opener. How’s the game down in central going tonight?

Oh just a fan
Posts: 855
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:03 pm
What colour is a puck?: black

Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:01 pm

You guys make it seem like GFW don't have kids and other programs that fundraise and the Cats are the only orginzation in town. Are you guys truly this blind and naive? Jesus stop looking out of your asses. Ohhhh we have more people more this, more that. You also have more businesses to hit up. More population to draw from. These stupid excuses are well..... stupid.

NLHockeyInsider
Posts: 187
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:56 am
What colour is a puck?: black

Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:14 pm

Oh just a fan wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:01 pm
You guys make it seem like GFW don't have kids and other programs that fundraise and the Cats are the only orginzation in town. Are you guys truly this blind and naive? Jesus stop looking out of your asses. Ohhhh we have more people more this, more that. You also have more businesses to hit up. More population to draw from. These stupid excuses are well..... stupid.
Here are the minor hockey associations in the metro St. John’s area:

St. John’s Caps
Gould’s Pacers
Avalon Celtics
Northeast Eagles
Paradise Warriors
CBR Renegrades
Southern Shore

We have a 9 team junior hockey league. 2 Major Midget Teams. 11 High School Hockey Teams. And that’s only talking about hockey teams and I’m definitely missing some.

GFW have a senior team and one minor hockey association. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about when you suggest it should be easy for a men’s senior hockey team to attract fundraising and sponsorship dollars. There’s so much more competition for those dollars here in metro St. John’s despite the difference in population.

Oh just a fan
Posts: 855
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:03 pm
What colour is a puck?: black

Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:13 am

There is 14,000 people who live in GFW there is 200,000 people in St John's. There's more business on Kenmount Rd alone than in GFW combined. You can't use the high amount of numbers to support your argument and then forget about it when it goes against your argument. Works both ways there bud.

Sad thing is it's not even the sponsors that keep the Cats afloat, if anything it's the multiple bingos they throw, Weekly 50/50 draws, tickets on $50,000 there's a lot of ways to fundraise money for a hockey team other than sponsorships. But then again I know nothing about what I'm talking about. Not like I never ran a JR team and SR intermediate team. I know all about fundraising, I also know you need fans more than anything to run a team, which is another thing the Central teams do better. Sure their numbers are dropping, some Sunday's they'd be lucky if there is 500 there. But that's about 472 more than in Twin Rinks on Monday night.

NLHockeyInsider
Posts: 187
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:56 am
What colour is a puck?: black

Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:23 am

Oh just a fan wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:13 am
There is 14,000 people who live in GFW there is 200,000 people in St John's. There's more business on Kenmount Rd alone than in GFW combined. You can't use the high amount of numbers to support your argument and then forget about it when it goes against your argument. Works both ways there bud.

Sad thing is it's not even the sponsors that keep the Cats afloat, if anything it's the multiple bingos they throw, Weekly 50/50 draws, tickets on $50,000 there's a lot of ways to fundraise money for a hockey team other than sponsorships. But then again I know nothing about what I'm talking about. Not like I never ran a JR team and SR intermediate team. I know all about fundraising, I also know you need fans more than anything to run a team, which is another thing the Central teams do better. Sure their numbers are dropping, some Sunday's they'd be lucky if there is 500 there. But that's about 472 more than in Twin Rinks on Monday night.
You have no idea what you’re talking about. There’s different challenges in running a team in both centres. Sponsorship and fundraising dollars in the metro area aren’t as easily accessible as you think.

If you think you can do such a good job of running a team here in the metro area and getting all those dollars then come do it. The reality is you don’t have a clue how those things work here in St. John’s. It’s easy when you’re looking in from the outside.

The Cataracts are one of the main recipients if not THE main recipient of fundraising and sponsorship dollars in Grand Falls Windsor. Huge difference than here in St. John’s.

Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 17 guests