THE CATS ARE BACK!!

Central West Senior Hockey League discussions - Clarenville Caribous, Grand Falls Windsor Cataracts & Gander Flyers.
NLHockeyInsider
Posts: 187
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:56 am
What colour is a puck?: black

Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:22 pm

The Bottom Line wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:10 pm
Again, more foolishness. It's a amature hockey, like it or not, it's amateur hockey, and that's as per HNL and Hockey Canada......Fact
Whether or not Hockey Canada and HNL say it’s “amateur hockey”, when you have guys getting paid and being issued T4’s that within it’s self adds somewhat of a professional element to the teams which would make them semi-professional teams.

You can argue with me all you want but it doesn’t change the definition of what semi-professional actually means in the dictionary. As for the argument some of you have been using here that HC only recognizes amateur and professional hockey, that is obviously a problem and something that needs to be fixed going forward. But this problem has existed for a very long time and with the decline in participation in the Allan Cup, it seems senior hockey isn’t a priority for Hockey Canada and it’s branches.
Last edited by NLHockeyInsider on Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
The Bottom Line
Posts: 1484
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:30 am
What colour is a puck?: black

Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:39 pm

You can spin it anyway you want. It's amature hockey... Fact!!

As for the T4's, that's following revenue canada rules. If you earn money, you have to report it to revenue Canada. I don't expect to to agree, but it's the law...Fact!!

If having former professional players in your league makes you a semi pro league, then you must be saying that Terry Ryan falls in that category too and that the east league is semi pro.

This is getting to silly to continue.

NLHockeyInsider
Posts: 187
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:56 am
What colour is a puck?: black

Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:03 pm

The Bottom Line wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:39 pm
You can spin it anyway you want. It's amature hockey... Fact!!

As for the T4's, that's following revenue canada rules. If you earn money, you have to report it to revenue Canada. I don't expect to to agree, but it's the law...Fact!!

If having former professional players in your league makes you a semi pro league, then you must be saying that Terry Ryan falls in that category too and that the east league is semi pro.

This is getting to silly to continue.
Speaking of spinning things anyway you want...

My argument is that having to issue T4’s to players is what makes your league semi-professional as paying people for part-time professional services is the very definition in the dictionary of what semi-professional is.

My argument was not the fact having former professional players on your team makes the team semi-professional. If a team has 20 former professionals not being payed then that is an amateur (correct spelling for your reference) team.

I hope that clears things up for you and please don’t spin my words to try and make my argument look weak. I’ve also added the definitions for amateur and semi-professional according to merriam-Webster.com for your reference.

Amateur
:one who engages in a pursuit, study, science, or sport as a pastime rather than as a profession

Semi-Professional
:engaging in an activity for pay or gain but not as a full-time occupation

User avatar
The Bottom Line
Posts: 1484
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:30 am
What colour is a puck?: black

Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:12 pm

Both leagues have been paying players. One league issues T4's. Both are amateur. Webster is not the governing body, so that definition is not applied to as per HNL or Hockey Canada. I can't make it any clearer than that for you. You don't have to like it, I really don't care. If you have a beef with the rules and laws or definitions, feel free to take on HNL, hockey Canada and Canada Revenue. But, as for now, that's the rules and that's what's being followed in central.

NLHockeyInsider
Posts: 187
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:56 am
What colour is a puck?: black

Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:23 pm

The Bottom Line wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:12 pm
Both leagues have been paying players. One league issues T4's. Both are amateur. Webster is not the governing body, so that definition is not applied to as per HNL or Hockey Canada. I can't make it any clearer than that for you. You don't have to like it, I really don't care. If you have a beef with the rules and laws or definitions, feel free to take on HNL, hockey Canada and Canada Revenue. But, as for now, that's the rules and that's what's being followed in central.
One league pays players. The CWSHL. They issue T4’s to players for their part-time services playing senior hockey which makes them semi-professional teams.

The ECSHL does not pay players and therefore does not issue T4’s to players meaning that league is truly an amateur league.

We have a semi-professional team playing an amateur team for the Herder. That is why the ECSHL is allowed to pick up strengthening players for the Herder each year.

User avatar
The Bottom Line
Posts: 1484
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:30 am
What colour is a puck?: black

Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:35 pm

I know of guys that have gotten paid to play in the east, and it's been posted here several times. And no, I'm not gonna throw them under the bus and say who they are, that's not fair to them. Also, they didn't pay taxes on that income and they were not issued T4's. Both leagues are amateur, regardless how you want to interpret things. Your argument holds about as much water as an onion bag.

Zekie
Posts: 2316
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:12 pm
What colour is a puck?: black

Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:40 pm

NLHockeyInsider wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:44 am
The Bottom Line wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:41 am
Well that's awesome. The east won't need 6 or 7 strengthening players this year. Maybe the flyers or cats will be able to pick an allstar team this time to compete with the east for the herder. I can hear the silly comments now :lol:
Yeah and we can name that team the Avalon Allstars.

PS you’re welcome for the players that keep you entertained all winter.
Thank you Mr. Insider for those players that kept us entertained all winter. I honestly didn't know that you held their rights and were responsible for letting them come to Central to play.

As asinine as your statement was it gave me a good chuckle. :razz:

NLHockeyInsider
Posts: 187
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:56 am
What colour is a puck?: black

Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:53 pm

The Bottom Line wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:35 pm
I know of guys that have gotten paid to play in the east, and it's been posted here several times. And no, I'm not gonna throw them under the bus and say who they are, that's not fair to them. Also, they didn't pay taxes on that income and they were not issued T4's. Both leagues are amateur, regardless how you want to interpret things. Your argument holds about as much water as an onion bag.
Why did you find it necessary to add “your argument holds about as much water as an onion bag” to your comment? To belittle me and my opinions and arguments? Does it make you feel big to do that to people? I thought we were having a halfway decent conversation on here but yet you found it necessary to belittle me. Says a lot about you.

My point is that one league pays players and issues T-4’s. The other league does not do this. Any argument about players being paid in the East is null and void until someone can actually prove other wise with facts, not hearsay like “I know of guys who have gotten paid to play in the East”. That is why the non-paid amateur league is allowed to pick-up players for the Herder.

User avatar
The Bottom Line
Posts: 1484
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:30 am
What colour is a puck?: black

Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:05 pm

It does happen in the east. Guys have admitted it. Also, it's been happening for 50 or more years all over the island !!! Sorry if I hurt your feelings, but, your argument holds no water..... Kinda like an onion bag.

Oh just a fan
Posts: 867
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:03 pm
What colour is a puck?: black

Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:12 pm

Insider ever think that those non returning players aren’t returning based more so on the fact they wanted to play before Xmas and actually playing Gander over and over had no bearing on their decision where they played.

Locked
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests