jets have anything to look forward too?

NL Junior Hockey discussions - St. John's Junior Hockey League / Central West Junior "B" league
apecz11
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:37 pm

I don't know how anyone else feels but do the jets have any players playing or coming up that looks in any way positive. They have maybe 5 wins in two seasons. This can't be looking good for them. Any thoughts?

Centre Ice

Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:59 pm

give credit to the management for sticking with it, i hope they gets something good due to the fact they have a great stadium and great town to play out of.

Trevor

Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:45 pm

Well see, it junior hockey. Its not all about wins, if it wasn't for this league these guys wouldn't have anywhere to play since most rec leagues won't take players under 25.

Its obvious they don't have the skill level that Port-aux-Basques and Central do, but still they've managed to give teams a decent run on a couple of occasions and take a couple of wins from Corner Brook. Another big part of it is that the Jets have to scrape up players from wherever they can since the strongest core of players were poached by the Mariners. White, McCarthy, Thistle, Alexander are all from Stephenville and know where they should be playing, same last year with Blaine Hann, Charlie Alexander and Josh Froude. On top of that, the Jets lost Brett Robinson and Greg Edgar to the Mariners and Evan Giles to Central.

In order to make up for it, the Jets are digging deep and have 7 players on their roster that didn't play organized hockey for at least 2 years. They have found players dedicated enough to come in from La Scie, Deer Lake and Corner Brook, and have 4 players from other parts of the island that are in the area for school. Add to that another 10 guys who are there because they want to play for their hometown team.

There is no one coming up through the system that's going to save the team, and if there were, Port-aux-Basques would already have them signed to a card. The only way the Jets will start winning is if they decide to play a real team game, figure out a system to play and stick to it, and stop fighting even if they're down by 15 goals.

But like I said, it junior hockey and those guys who are the Jets right now, genuinely want to be the Jets. There's no doubt it gets frustrating when you lose constantly and usually by a large margin. I know becase I was part of it last year. I can also tell you that there was never a game last season when we didn't think we had a chance to win before we went on the ice (and if there was doubt, it was always positive in the room, except maybe when we only had 8 players for the last playoff game, that was a bit of a stretch).

So yeah, if I had to guess, I would say the Jets are looking forward to practice on Friday night, then beating Corner Brook Saturday evening before heading out to Grand-Falls and coming home with 4 points on the weekend.

On the bright side, I think 5 wins in two years is still more than they had in 3 years as the Deer Lake Red Wings.

TD55

Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:37 am

Trevor, I agree with your post that seems to be stating that Stephenville can make something of this if they keep up what their new coaching staff has started, they definitely have things going in the right direction. However, your comment about Mariners poaching is simply misinformed and out to lunch. If I recall correctly, the team was in Deer Lake when PAB started and formed their team. PAB has the smallest base from which to pick, so if people think they aren't going to get players from outside their town, they're unfortunately not thinking realistically. "Know where they should be playing" - come on, are you kidding me? All 6 started with PAB as there wasnt a Sville squad, so they should jump ship after the team catches on and gets the BEST crowd in the league and they are treated like royalty? Really??

Before you make your comments, get some facts or some idea of what really goes on.

Unidentified Source

Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:52 am

Trevor wrote:One thing to consider is that the Red Wings didn't move to Stephenville until PAB had already started their try-outs. On top of that, the Wings had been on the ice for a month and already had what looked like decent roster at the time of mostly guys from Baie Verte/Deer Lake.

Alot of the players from Stephenville knew the guys in PAB so chose to go there over Deer Lake, then the Red Wings ended up in Stephenville a couple of weeks after.
Trevor wrote: the Jets have to scrape up players from wherever they can since the strongest core of players were poached by the Mariners. White, McCarthy, Thistle, Alexander are all from Stephenville and know where they should be playing, same last year with Blaine Hann, Charlie Alexander and Josh Froude.
somethin dont add up from two of your posts. might want to mention mitch gallant in there to complete the picture to.

Trevor

Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:27 pm

TD and Source, you guys make a good point and I'll address my comments/clarify etc...

Clearly players are able to move from team to team (see Giles/Edgar/Robinson/Gallant) after a season. in fact I believe Edgar moved after playing 2 games for the Jets this season. Mitchel Gallant came back to play for Stephenville, good for him. Pat Alexander went to play for Port-aux-Basques this season, Ben Thistle went halfway through last season. Now I have nothing against those guys, I grew up playing hockey with them in Stephenville, I consider them friends, I know them well. Thing is, there is no way they should have gone to play with Port-aux-Basques once a team was already on the ice in Stephenville, a team that was/is actively looking to improve and especially get local players.

As for the other guys, obviously players are able to get releases and move from one team to another and (in my opinion) should have tried to come back to Stephenville. Next to Port-aux-Basques, Stephenville has the smallest center in this league to pick from, kind of a steal from Peter and give to Paul sort of thing, one takes from the other and its detrimental. Except that PAB has the ability to recruit from a much wider area for some reason, and could probably do without their S'ville players and create a league with much more parity.

Last season was one thing, the players didn't know a team would be based in Stephenville until after Port-aux-Basques had started up. Think about this though, Port-aux-Basques took several players from Corner Brook when they started up and it put them on rocky ground. At the start of this year, people were nervous that the Jets wouldn't have enough players to ice a team, partly because what should be the core of their team is playing out in PAB.

As for being treated like royalty, I can't say you would have that in Stephenville. But, at our home opener last year we drew over 400 fans. That's a fair bit, but it looks like a drop in the bucket in a 1200 seat rink where most people choose to stand on the walking track. In reality that shouldn't matter too much though, there should be some element of civic pride in wanting to play for your hometown. I read on this forum earlier in the fall that some of the Royals players would rather not play than play for a team other than Corner Brook. As someone that really despises the Royals, I have to respect the pride they have in the Royals name and in representing their city. Somewhere along the way it seems like some of the players from here lost that, they traded in their hometown to play in front of more people. Mitchel Gallant came back, there's no reason others couldn't follow as well.

As for the comment I need to get my facts straight and some idea of what goes on, believe me that I do. I've played in this league and for the Jets, I know the management and coaches of the Jets, I know the players that are gone to play for PAB. I know the management in Port-aux-Basques has made it worthwhile for all the players they're bringing in, its just too bad that its at the detriment of another team in this league.

hockey033

Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:18 pm

So true !! Excellent post! I for one and I know many others that have the same thoughts.
Trevor wrote:TD and Source, you guys make a good point and I'll address my comments/clarify etc...

Clearly players are able to move from team to team (see Giles/Edgar/Robinson/Gallant) after a season. in fact I believe Edgar moved after playing 2 games for the Jets this season. Mitchel Gallant came back to play for Stephenville, good for him. Pat Alexander went to play for Port-aux-Basques this season, Ben Thistle went halfway through last season. Now I have nothing against those guys, I grew up playing hockey with them in Stephenville, I consider them friends, I know them well. Thing is, there is no way they should have gone to play with Port-aux-Basques once a team was already on the ice in Stephenville, a team that was/is actively looking to improve and especially get local players.

As for the other guys, obviously players are able to get releases and move from one team to another and (in my opinion) should have tried to come back to Stephenville. Next to Port-aux-Basques, Stephenville has the smallest center in this league to pick from, kind of a steal from Peter and give to Paul sort of thing, one takes from the other and its detrimental. Except that PAB has the ability to recruit from a much wider area for some reason, and could probably do without their S'ville players and create a league with much more parity.

Last season was one thing, the players didn't know a team would be based in Stephenville until after Port-aux-Basques had started up. Think about this though, Port-aux-Basques took several players from Corner Brook when they started up and it put them on rocky ground. At the start of this year, people were nervous that the Jets wouldn't have enough players to ice a team, partly because what should be the core of their team is playing out in PAB.

As for being treated like royalty, I can't say you would have that in Stephenville. But, at our home opener last year we drew over 400 fans. That's a fair bit, but it looks like a drop in the bucket in a 1200 seat rink where most people choose to stand on the walking track. In reality that shouldn't matter too much though, there should be some element of civic pride in wanting to play for your hometown. I read on this forum earlier in the fall that some of the Royals players would rather not play than play for a team other than Corner Brook. As someone that really despises the Royals, I have to respect the pride they have in the Royals name and in representing their city. Somewhere along the way it seems like some of the players from here lost that, they traded in their hometown to play in front of more people. Mitchel Gallant came back, there's no reason others couldn't follow as well.

As for the comment I need to get my facts straight and some idea of what goes on, believe me that I do. I've played in this league and for the Jets, I know the management and coaches of the Jets, I know the players that are gone to play for PAB. I know the management in Port-aux-Basques has made it worthwhile for all the players they're bringing in, its just too bad that its at the detriment of another team in this league.

hockey09

Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:30 pm

trevor i knows for a fact that Edgar played 3 years for deer lake/stephenville and needed a change. he also never played no more after the first two games till after christmas because ron then gave him a release (it wasn't so easy to get as you might think so get your facts right before you go posting stuff on here). brett could have went wherever he wanted cause he was never signed with stephenville he was only an ap. stephenville is not the closest place for Robinson or Edgar to play either that would be grandfalls and grandfalls is not going to take them when they can get enough players from their city

hockey033

Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:49 pm

However I heard , in October Robinson, Edgar and Ward all showed up to the Jr Royals tryouts giving them the impression they were going to play for them. Corner Brook is closer than both Stephenville and PAB. Next thing Robinson and Ward (and he did ASK the Royals how much they would PAY him) were with PAB...........however Edgar continued to go to the practices. Dobbin showed up and told the management that he would not be releasing Edgar ...........few months later he's on PAB . So don't try to tell me something didn't go on there for Dobbin to release his best player to PAB...when in Oct he said he would never get a release.

PAB has a great team, great fan/sponser support.........however it has been at the expense of at least two other teams (Corner Brook & Stephenville). Jon Organ, Josh Froude, Blaine Hann, Luke Canning, etc were all once members of the Jr Royals. As Robinson, Edgar, etc were members of Jets/Red Wings. Also, they are lucky the have that support, however they are making it very impossible for other teams to compete.

Charlestown

Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:56 pm

Im originally from Corner brook and I agree with what trevor is saying. I stopped playing in midget but i would never play for a team than my hometown. players in this league play for PAB to get attention. I wish people knew this is only jr B. Have some pride in your hometown this isnt the NHL....

• Information