Rumor Mill pt 2.

NL Junior Hockey discussions - St. John's Junior Hockey League / Central West Junior "B" league
Insider
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:21 pm

I watched both games in sville this weekend and the games were quite good its a shame that more svillers didn't come out to watch.

Both Zack Clothier and John Snow made there debuts with the Mariners this weekend and they seem to be hit or miss. Clothier played sparingly in both games and I already hear he will not be back with the Mariners after Christmas, not sure why...details to follow (dunno if this is 100% true) John Snow looked wobbly on skates but does seem to be a hockey player underneath but clearly its been awhile since he has played but he should fit it well in what I would think would be a 3rd line role.

Nathan Burke-Earle made his debut on the weekend as well and after being invisible on Saturday played well on Sunday notching a short handed goal. The jury is still out on this kid.

Rumors are swirling now about Roger Snow and his debut with the Mariners. Not sure if cousin John got him going but there are rumblings he may play after Christmas with the 1st place team.

Other rumors I have been hearing is the Mariners are still actively looking for players. I thought first it was a defence only search but that may have been wrong. I hear they are kicking tires on forwards as well, although no word on the names of this players as of yet.

There is also reason to believe that Jon Organ may be returning to the Jets. I can't confirm this for sure but there is talk he will return to them after Christmas to help the Jets' offence. Also Adam Green didn't suit up for Sunday's game no word on why the Jet's captain was absent.

It appears that Lundrigan will be returning to his hometown Royals if/when he returns home, earlier there were whispers that he may play elsewhere and the Jets and Mariners reportedly had interest.

Its been pretty quiet on the Cataracts front....they keep moving up the standings and quietly winning games which should make for an interesting second half.

Now on to the weekend games..Mariners Vs Jets.

Both Josh White and Decker were suspended for the weekend from what I can gather White was NOT suspended for spitting and Decker got the axe for a cross check and middle finger. On Sunday the intensity was turned up a notch as these long time rivals had a clash on the ice I found exciting and entertaining.
The Mariners again started off slow again falling behind by 2 but the Mariners clawed there way back.

Here is where it got sketchy. I was sat pretty close between the two benches and after Adam Hopkins turned down an offer to fight by Jet tough guy Steve Canning, The Jets trainer Paul Guignard started chirping the Mariner rear guard which prompted a response from Mariner Assistant Coach Steve Osmond. Steve Canning also began chirping Osmond about Mariner tough guy Julien Ward who was absent from the weekend set. Osmond laughed off Canning calling him a liability to his team everytime he was on the ice which seemed to get a chuckle from the Mariner players and made Canning go quiet.

Tempers seem to cool from there until Canning went after Mariners defenceman Jordan Ball which got Osmond throwing remarks back over toward the Jet bench, although I couldn't hear what he was saying I could tell he wasn't very happy with Cannings choice of partner or the Jets' tactics in the period.

The jets took the lead shorthanded in the 3rd on a goal by Brandon O'Neil which lead to head coach Darren Roberts Gesturing to the Mariners bench. His celebratory gesture was shortlived however as Adam Hopkins tied the game less than a minute later, fitting as Hopkins was the thorn in the side of the Jets all game long as he continued his strong play for the Mariners.

After the period there was indeed a confrontation between Jeremy Mitchell and Mariners' rookie head coach Mark Lawrence where Mitchell attempted to facewash Lawrence. Another confrontation occurred in the hallway but they were quickly separated with no punches thrown in what seemed to be a few nice pleasantries between the two.

Both Mitchell and Lawrence were ejected after the 2nd and the game seemed to calm a little as both teams seemed to feel each other out not wanting to make mistakes in a 3-3 game. Luc Canning was strong for PAB in goal for the second nite in a row as well a Andrew murley who was superb again for the Jets. (Blanchard played well for the Jets in Saturdays game as well)

The game went to a shootout where Burke-Earle got the shootout winner and then gave the Mariner bench the finger (not sure if he will be suspended) then the Jets prevailed when Brett Robinson missed the net on a deked Murley to seal the Jets' 2nd win over the Mariners this year.

It was probably the best game I seen all year and the Mariners finally displayed some toughness as well and Captain Nick Tucker fought Jeremy Mitchell on saturday the result of which I would say is a draw and Sid Ransome dropped them with St. Croix on Sunday with the upper hand going to the Jet.
Last edited by Insider on Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bar Down

Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:47 pm

Josh white was suspended for so called "spitting" . Deckers cross checked didn't play a factor in the suspension but it was his finger that got him in trouble. Games were close this weekend though as the jets had decker , white and green out Sunday

Aviator

Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:53 pm

Insider: it wasn't Guignard doing the chirping, it was Bennett.

Insider

Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:57 pm

ah thanks...i wasn't sure on the jets side, I just seen he had on surgical gloves so I just thought it was him.

Redwing

Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:07 pm

i dont really think i would call the tucker/mitchell fight a draw according to the video by doucette5 on youtube as well as tuckers facebook status referencing the fact that every time he fights he loses...

Insider

Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:56 pm

I thought tucker did quite well with the more experienced and much larger Mitchell...it was a draw in my books...I think Mitchell won't wanna go again as IMO he barely got out of that one...I think Mitchell got surprised...its about time the Mariners showed some toughness, maybe Greg Edgar will drop them next.

hockey09

Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:55 pm

i don't think greg edgar will be dropping the gloves unless he absolutely got to. He is not playing the game of hockey for fighting

Gongshow_08

Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:02 pm

Redwing wrote:i dont really think i would call the tucker/mitchell fight a draw according to the video by doucette5 on youtube as well as tuckers facebook status referencing the fact that every time he fights he loses...
lol redwing the bys did that on my facebook when i was gone to the bar that night i didnt post it myself.... to be honest i wanted nothing to do with mitchell i told him at the faceoff i didnt want to fight but he told me i was getting it anyways. then he got kicked out of the draw so i thought he was going to wait another shift but then my helmet gets ripped off out no where, so i didnt really have a choice....

Hockeystar44

Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:43 pm

Roger snow will be in the lineup for the 1st place team after xmas. Big help for them also the kid can fight like a dog look for him to step in and pick up for some of the smaller players also ward will be back after x mas so that's 2 big boys who can hold their own really good and will go with any of them so I'd say the fb churping comes to an end the weekend they meet the jets!

Insider

Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:30 pm

How do u know this..?

• Information