Give me a break HNL

NL Junior Hockey discussions - St. John's Junior Hockey League / Central West Junior "B" league
GongshowHockey
What colour is a puck?: black

Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:47 pm

central hosted the veitch in bishop falls.... it cant get any worse than that! your missing the point here... the caps play out of twin rinks all year long not any other rink, why would they change it now? to accommodate the cwjhl that hasnt won a veitch in the past 10 years at least! 85% of the teams from the cwjhl that have gone to the veitch got walked over by the sjjhl...

backhand shot

Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:37 pm

I Was at the 2 veitch tournments held in bishop's falls ,there home rink for years. They had a full house them years. By the way the central team,cats. and pab team played well in the veitch against the sjjhl. cats loss by what 2 goals and 1 in a empty net. Central---west jhl has only 4 teams and sjjhl has 8 teams ok.The thing that can be discussed is ---have a provincal jr hockey league,but listen not as it is now but have a different format.That would have to be worked out by the powers to be.That is not going to happen i guess from what i have been told by experts. just a bad idea???
'

Trevor

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:55 pm

A provincial league would never fly. The St. John's teams operate with very little operational costs because there is no travel for them. The CWJHL teams spend thousands on buses, hotels, etc... as it is and they only cover half the island. Additionally, teams have a tough time getting players some weekends to go to Central or PAB, getting them to go all the way to St. John's on a regular basis is just not going to happen, even if its just one trip. Players in this league mostly go to school, whether at CNA or Grenfell, and that trumps hockey in the end. Players would be unwilling to travel that far at the risk of missing classes, which is a big deal when you're paying thousands of dollars to attend them.

The difference between Bishop's Falls and Twin Rinks is that in Bishop's there is actually a real rink, which doesn't offer an advantage to one team in terms of penalty box locations, and its possible to get people to show up to games there. It has nothing to do with accomodating another team, it's about trying to accomodate fans and promote the tournament as a legitimate even that is worth watching. It doesn't matter who has won the games or who has walked over who.

The bottom line is, they'd be better off playing on Mundy Pond... I think it's still frozen over.

kwh4050

Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:10 am

Trevor wrote:The difference between Bishop's Falls and Twin Rinks is that in Bishop's there is actually a real rink, which doesn't offer an advantage to one team in terms of penalty box locations, and its possible to get people to show up to games there. It has nothing to do with accomodating another team, it's about trying to accomodate fans and promote the tournament as a legitimate even that is worth watching. It doesn't matter who has won the games or who has walked over who.

The bottom line is, they'd be better off playing on Mundy Pond... I think it's still frozen over.

Bishop's Falls has great ice, great boards, plenty of seating but they only have 2 dressing rooms with showers, a toilet and a sink. This isn't suitable for a tournament.... And this is all coming from someone who lives in Bishop's

Trevor

Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:24 pm

Oh, I thought they did some renovations out there? Figured washrooms would have been part of it, if there were. It's been a while since I was out that way so maybe I'm thinking of somewhere else.

Anyway point was, the ice surface out there is definitely suitable in terms of quality, size etc... Twin Rinks has some nice dressing rooms, I'll give them that.

backhand shot

Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:30 am

Yes, we do have 2 newely renovated dressing rooms done last year, when we won the hockeyville money. The crew makes the best ice for our skaters. There are new boards ,players boxes ,glass etc.
In bishop falls we have a new clock also. There was a lot of renovation done. i t would be nice to build on 2 more dressing rooms with showers then we could handle any tournments in the future.

kwh4050

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:33 pm

backhand shot wrote:Yes, we do have 2 newely renovated dressing rooms done last year, when we won the hockeyville money. The crew makes the best ice for our skaters. There are new boards ,players boxes ,glass etc. In bishop falls we have a new clock also. There was a lot of renovation done. i t would be nice to build on 2 more dressing rooms with showers then we could handle any tournments in the future.
You are correct... We do like our rink and the 2 renovated dressing room are great in comparison to a lot of placed but only having 2 dressing rooms with showers, sinks and toilets is a HUGE problem. Even the newer bigger dressing room upstairs is nice but it doesn't have a shower, sink or toilet. I know that it is a HUGE cost to make 2 new fully equipped dressing rooms so I guess I might have to take some fundraising upon myself to get it done, lol... Hopefully it will be done soon enough....

We were playing our games in Triton and although the fan support was great, the dressing rooms were not very good, having to split the team in 2 of them.... Was worth it though for the fan support.

How is the Host for the Veitch decided?

JuniorHockeyFan

Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:40 pm

Twin Rinks was upgraded a couple years ago. The penalty boxes are on the other side of the ice across from the benches, not in one teams zone anymore. The boards and ceiling have been replaced and dressing rooms and team benches upgraded. It is still far from mile one standards, but for what this tournament it is quite suitable.

• Information