Veitch

NL Junior Hockey discussions - St. John's Junior Hockey League / Central West Junior "B" league
kwh4050
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:35 am

Unidentified Source wrote:After a 18-1 blowout I don't think the format is the biggest concern because unless the Jets come up with an effort and make the championship game close, I doubt you'll see the west compete for the Veitch anymore. the score last night proved the SJJHLs point. Now it's up to the wests last place team that's only won a couple games all year to make a competitive game out of it. That's a tall order especially after the west "champs" came up with that horrible performance last night.
You obviously know nothing about hockey... The St. John's Caps are an amazing team. They finished their regular season 25-3 and their playoffs 11-0, which is very very impressive. And if you look at a lot of their scores, they were DOMINANT as well in their own league. The St. John's Caps are the quality of a Jr-A team and Paul Whittle has proven time again how good his teams are. But the rest of the teams in NL are all Jr-B caliber and unless the CWJHL folds there will always be an East (SJJHL Winners) VS West (CWJHL Winners) Series (which should be a 2 our of 3 for the league winners from each) for the Veitch.
If I was making outrageous and ridiculous comments like you are doing above, I would keep my user name as "Unidentified Source"...

chesterfriedchicken

Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:19 am

kwh4050 wrote:With Champion, Vaters, Samson, Thompson, Budgell, Gillard, Bennet and Mitchell missing it was brutal for us... Thanks srs73 and Toiletbowl for defending us... No team can win with 6-7 skaters against a team with a full line-up. Not faulting the Caps at all and Paul's squad are for sure a great team but the game would have been a lot closer with my full line-up.
One of our top players all season was Jared King and even though he has a mcl tear in his left knee and couldn't turn because of the instability, he still showed the heart, guts and determination to put on the skates, put the "C" on his chest and play his heart out....
I am 100% proud of all of my players that played in the VEITCH and they are an amazing group of guys to do what they did.
I have no choice but to disagree with you. The championship game of the Don Johnson Cup proved that last year. The team from NB that beat a full St. john's Lineup with only 11 players total. They too were missing half a team due to exams. It did take OT to win the game, but they won with 11 players.

Just a few years ago St. John's won the Don Johnson cup in Bay Roberts with only 9. Excuses get you nowhere, and its no way to earn respect.

It's nobody's fault but your own that you only had 6-7skaters. The location and the dates for the Veitch wasn't decided on Thursday or Friday. You knew well in advance. The fact that you only iced enough for a hand of 120's falls on your shoulders. If you couldn't ice a team, step aside and let a team that could take your place. At least for the sake of the fans who paid to see competitive hockey. Pride is one thing, but embarassment is another. Ask any of those 6-7 guys you had if they had fun. That's what matters first and foremost. Anyone that's been on the receiving end of a 15-2, 18-1 loss will tell you its never fun to lose, but it's embarassing to lose by 10 or more .

Embarassing.

Unidentified Source

Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:21 pm

admirable was stephenvilles performace saturday night. they lost 15-2 but the effort was there even to the last few minutes when they scored the second goal. all fans want to see is effort and it wasnt there friday nite for the express. 7 players can still give a good performance ask the jets. and your right i dont know much about hockey but i do no effort. i didnt call the team no good i call the performance horrible which is to say that the effort was horrible. the caps are a good team but they didnt beat teams this bad at any time in the playoffs not even the first round against the last place team. so for anyone to think hnl is going to keep this format or allowing the west to play for the veitch after this weekend scores keep your head in the sand. come back and let me know how hnl feels in june. a lot of damage was done last weekend with those scores and efforts.

jets fan

Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:38 pm

At this level of hockey, the fact that people are talking about "moral" victories in a provincial "tournament" is pretty funny. It should all be about winning, this isn't Peewee or atom.

kwh4050

Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:03 am

jets fan wrote:At this level of hockey, the fact that people are talking about "moral" victories in a provincial "tournament" is pretty funny. It should all be about winning, this isn't Peewee or atom.
Agreed

Mr. BoJangles

Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:07 pm

I would like to know how just 6-7 skaters showed up? I know of 2 or 3 Express players who didn't go to Stephenville and had NO COMMITTMENTS! :? Go figure :cry:

stars88

Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:56 am

The Bishops game was actually around 23-2. Scores were reset to 0 in the 3rd period and no tallies were made after that. Both games indicate that the West should not be playing in this specific tournament. It's definitely not the same calibre of hockey.

backhand shot

Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:03 pm

stars88 wrote:The Bishops game was actually around 23-2. Scores were reset to 0 in the 3rd period and no tallies were made after that. Both games indicate that the West should not be playing in this specific tournaiment. It's definitely not the same calibre of hockey.
IF you saw the last playoff game in BF against mariners,you couldn't make that statement. A full lineupof 16 ....17 players makes a whole different game instead of 7 players.Short 10 PLAYERS in the series againest sj. john's, hate to be still talking about this but it was a crasey VEITCH series and for all the jr. teams,HOPE IT NEVER HAPPENS AGAIN, whatever the problem was.The VEITCH series of past years have been ok so let's get on track with it.The players should k now what the trophy is all about, maybe and then they they would play for it with more meaning and exictment BRING the VEITCH back in one of the CWJHL teams......

kwh4050

Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:19 pm

it was only in 2011 that the Jr-Cats lost to St. John's in the final for the Veitch in OT.....

Toiletbowl

Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:46 am

I've played in this tournament three years, With the Blast and then the Cats my last year. We lost 2 games 1 the first two years, and then lost out to a good BI team in my third year. This league can compete with St John's i've said it for years. Just some teams in the past were better than recent. But this Express team I promise you with everyone there would give any JR team on this island a good run for their money.

• Information