Red Wings GM Andy Brake back to work

West Coast Senior Amateur Hockey League - Corner Brook Royals, Deer Lake Red Wings, Stephenville Jets & Port aux Basques Mariners.
catsfan200

Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:41 am

DEER LAKE
DAVE KEARSEY
The Western Star

Andy Brake called it a rough week, so it just goes to show the Deer Lake Red Wings GM hasn’t lost his resiliency.

Brake’s rough week is a result of losing two players from his roster for the 2009-10 West Coast Senior Hockey League season, which opens at the end of the month.

Mike Dyke, the coveted defenceman who Brake thought was going to be the anchor of his defence this year, and Ray Dalton, one of the most popular players to wear the Red Wings jersey, won’t be in the line-up this season.

Dyke has opted to remain with the Conception Bay North CeeBee Stars of the Avalon East Hockey League. Dalton and his girlfriend are expecting a child, so the speedy centreman has decided to stay closer to home and will also suit up in the east coast setup.

“Dyke found some employment on the east coast and decided to stay with the CeeBees,” a disappointed Brake told The Western Star Monday.

“Dyke is probably in the top three defencemen in the province so of course he’s a major loss to us, but hey we certainly can’t be looking back and we will continue to look ahead.

“We still got some great things happening and we will continue to fill the void that he’s left.”
Dalton has spent the last eight winters making the trek from the east coast to play with the Red Wings. A player of his character and commitment level will be missed both on and off the ice, according to Brake.

“He was a big cog in our wheel and provided a fair amount of leadership off the ice, so he is certainly going to be missed,” Brake said. “But Ray gave us eight great years and you know we certainly wish him the best. I know he is going to end up with a team in the east league and who knows things may change next year and he may be back in a red uniform.”

While it’s not good news for the Deer Lake franchise, Brake isn’t feeling any more pressure than normal to improve his team each year to keep up with the pack.

He feels the team has improved in the goaltending department with the signing of import Paul Drew and the offence should be adequate enough despite the loss of Dalton’s numbers on the scoresheet.

He doesn’t see a need to push the panic button because he has always kept abreast of the fact he has lots of time to tweak the roster before any deadlines come into play.

“We’ve got from now until the middle of January, you know obviously we always gear towards the playoffs so we don’t care if we come in first or fourth.

“The bottom line is we want to win the big prize and that doesn’t start until the regular season is over. So from here until we can no longer pick up any players we have all that time to fill a few voids on defence.”
2011 Herder Champions
2014 Herder Champions
2015 Herder Champions
2016 Herder Champions
Go Cats Go!

Follow me on twitter @markie800200

Ben
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:41 am

He don't care about the regular season? It doesn't seem as though Andy has a whole lot of confidence as of yet...

Catch 22

Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:49 am

Ben wrote:He don't care about the regular season? It doesn't seem as though Andy has a whole lot of confidence as of yet...
You dont say... So far they lost Dalton, Lee, Sutherland, Young, No Dyke and maybe not finished there!!!

Peach wont be there all year, IF he is at all. The Wings have alot of work to do....

Annonymous

Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:09 am

Statements like that, any I am willing to bet most GMs feel the same way, is why this league needs a 5th team. The fans have to sit through 24 games and spend a ton of money on these teams before they even care about winning. Afterall, fans don't need to show up until playoffs either, wonder how he would like that.

I think Andy Brake should keep those thuoghts to himself.

Face off

Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:47 pm

Annonymous wrote:Statements like that, any I am willing to bet most GMs feel the same way, is why this league needs a 5th team. The fans have to sit through 24 games and spend a ton of money on these teams before they even care about winning. Afterall, fans don't need to show up until playoffs either, wonder how he would like that.

Excellent Point Annonymous, hit the nail right on the head. Playoffs are the main focus of any team to have a strong healthy team for when it counts. However, as annonymous said, if Organizations thought, well so what about the regular season as long as we are ready for the playoffs, then what about the paying public who is looking forward to a competitive regular season, that is what sets up the anticipation and excitement for the playoffs.

If you dont care about the regular season, then why should the fans. Fans will attend and support only if they really believe that you suited up the best team possible and not wait until later date. Waiting till the playoffs dont give those NEW players enough time to Gel with the team and feel comfortable...........excellent point...

rusty

Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:38 pm

Face off wrote:
Annonymous wrote:Statements like that, any I am willing to bet most GMs feel the same way, is why this league needs a 5th team. The fans have to sit through 24 games and spend a ton of money on these teams before they even care about winning. Afterall, fans don't need to show up until playoffs either, wonder how he would like that.

Excellent Point Annonymous, hit the nail right on the head. Playoffs are the main focus of any team to have a strong healthy team for when it counts. However, as annonymous said, if Organizations thought, well so what about the regular season as long as we are ready for the playoffs, then what about the paying public who is looking forward to a competitive regular season, that is what sets up the anticipation and excitement for the playoffs.

If you dont care about the regular season, then why should the fans. Fans will attend and support only if they really believe that you suited up the best team possible and not wait until later date. Waiting till the playoffs dont give those NEW players enough time to Gel with the team and feel comfortable...........excellent point...
Face off you hit the nail on the, fans won't attend regular season games if the product is not up to par. Where will the teams get the money to operate.

geoela

Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:44 pm

Exactly gents. I couldn't believe what I was reading from Andy Broke, I mean Brake. Maybe the league needs to change a little. Instead of having all 4 teams make the playoffs, have the 2nd and 3rd place teams play off to see who plays the 1st place team for the league championship. This uncaring attitude by Brake about the regular season is disgusting. It makes the whole regular season out to be a joke...a donation from the loyal fans to get to the Herder finals.

BackinBlack

Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:33 pm

geoela wrote:Exactly gents. I couldn't believe what I was reading from Andy Broke, I mean Brake. Maybe the league needs to change a little. Instead of having all 4 teams make the playoffs, have the 2nd and 3rd place teams play off to see who plays the 1st place team for the league championship. This uncaring attitude by Brake about the regular season is disgusting. It makes the whole regular season out to be a joke...a donation from the loyal fans to get to the Herder finals.
go and check the western star from earily last season. andy was quoted as saying they wanted first place cause first place would give them home ice advantage for both rounds of the playoffs and that was important. hes sure changed his attitude now. :o :o

Mysterious Unicorn

Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:54 pm

he was forced to change his attitude! haha where's Tommy? "crickets, Crickets"

rusty

Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:03 pm

Mysterious Unicorn wrote:he was forced to change his attitude! haha where's Tommy? "crickets, Crickets"
he is in Labrador trying to recruit a few new players for his ONCE mighty red Wings.

• Information