Mariners done in CWJHL?????

NL Junior Hockey discussions - St. John's Junior Hockey League / Central West Junior "B" league
Insider
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:27 am

I've been hearing a nasty rumor that the Port aux Basques Mariners will not be participating in the CWJHL next year. Granted both team president Andrew Parsons and GM Bruce BiIlard are rumored to be done with the team because of time restraints but I assumed that Mark Lawrence will be taking over the reins.
In a recent article Lawrence said that he wasn't sure if he would be coming back to the team. The Mariners are in pretty good shape roster wise tbh with only Adam Hopkins graduating past Jr age. The core of the team remains in tact including Nick Tucker, Brett Robinson and Greg Edgar.
Finances shouldn't be an issue with that team for sure as the 700 plus fans that jam the Bruce II on a regular basis should keep the Mariners in good shape there.
If the Mariners' being done is the case this is bad news for all of the CWJHL as the Mariners' are the model franchise for the league in terms of organisation professionalism...its really worth your while to take in a Mariner game in Port aux Basques as it is run as good as anyone could in a volunteer based environment.
If anyone has any info on this please do not hesitate to share.

I also heard a crazy rumor that the Jr Royals/Red Wings may want to host their games in Port aux Basques, I don't give any merit to this rumor as it makes no sense whatsoever.

Marinersfan01

Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:25 pm

I have also been hearing the same rumors! I hope that Mark lawrence will step up and take over the team as he is a great asset for them!
Roster wise it do look good but anything can happend that for sure!

If it is the case with the royals/redwings want to come and playt their games out of our barn then i sure (hope) they would be welcome with open arms! I know i would welcome them! It is a nice league on the go here and if we are not fortunate enough to not ice a team next yr then i def hope the royals/redwings would consider playing out here as long as there are a couple of players from our town on there team!
It is a great weekend of entertainment for our town that we were long without it would be sad to see it gone so soon!
Anyway I will def keep the ears opened to see what is on the go with the rumors!

kwh4050

Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:17 pm

That would be horrible if they folded... Why would Humber Valley want to host their games there? I know the fan support is amazing there but if PAB has a team, I am assuming they wouldn't be wanting to host games there. Is there any chance or talks of any new teams? With a population such as Corner Brook, it shocks me that they don't have a team.....
I'm sure we'll find out what's going on @ the AGM on Saturday in GFW....

Trevor

Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:00 pm

The Red Wings are Corner Brook's team. They practice in CB and play in Deer Lake and have a roster which has players from both, but more from CB. The Pepsi Centre and the Junior Royals couldn't come to an agreement with regard to icetime. The Royals played with the idea of weeknight games (at least against the Jets) to help ease the need for weekend icetime, but at the end of the day it was easier to go to Deer Lake. Plus with the senior Wings gone they had a chance to fill a void and pick up some support. It was a smart move on their part since that organization hardly received any support from the Pepsi Centre from they day they revived the team about 3-4 years ago.

kwh4050

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:25 pm

Trevor wrote:The Red Wings are Corner Brook's team. They practice in CB and play in Deer Lake and have a roster which has players from both, but more from CB. The Pepsi Centre and the Junior Royals couldn't come to an agreement with regard to icetime. The Royals played with the idea of weeknight games (at least against the Jets) to help ease the need for weekend icetime, but at the end of the day it was easier to go to Deer Lake. Plus with the senior Wings gone they had a chance to fill a void and pick up some support. It was a smart move on their part since that organization hardly received any support from the Pepsi Centre from they day they revived the team about 3-4 years ago.
I wish things like this were told to the Executives of each team in the league. We had no idea about that in GFW... You guys did the right thing obviously. Will you try to get back in CB next year or keep the same arrangement?

Trevor

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:49 pm

Apologies, I should have clarified, I'm actually with the Jets.

Most of my knowledge of the situation came from newspaper articles in the Western Star. We're also close geographically (Stephenville/CB), so some players and management know each other and info moves between sides. I have no idea what their plans are but I would suspect they'll stay out in Deer Lake unless the Senior Wings come back and dry up the pool for sponsors.

Insider

Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:59 pm

i think there was talk that the wings would play out of pab regardless if the mariners are there or not. I am hoping however this rumor is false but more importantly the mariners remain in the league. I have send messages to OzzyNF who claims to be one of the assistant coaches( not sure if he is) but so far i have gotten no response.

hockey33

Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:30 pm

Insider wrote:i think there was talk that the wings would play out of pab regardless if the mariners are there or not. I am hoping however this rumor is false but more importantly the mariners remain in the league. I have send messages to OzzyNF who claims to be one of the assistant coaches( not sure if he is) but so far i have gotten no response.

First I heard of it..........the teams execuative this season haven't entertained the idea.......don't mean it will not happen but still to let you know it's not from the people currently running the team, it may be talks of other people though.

gillam_09

Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:01 am

Insider wrote:i think there was talk that the wings would play out of pab regardless if the mariners are there or not. I am hoping however this rumor is false but more importantly the mariners remain in the league. I have send messages to OzzyNF who claims to be one of the assistant coaches( not sure if he is) but so far i have gotten no response.
yes ozzynf is who he claims he is. rumours are rumours in pab. theres been talk of the boys folding since our first yr back in the league. ppl are gonna talk thats just how it goes

Redwing

Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:33 pm

I can't speak to the rumors about the wings, but I would imagine that is on the back burner now if it even was a topic of conversation. Our season isn't over yet, our executive is working diligently to get us to St.John's the weekend, I highly doubt next season is in conversation yet, for us anyways...

• Information