Mariners Training Camp... great turnout

NL Junior Hockey discussions - St. John's Junior Hockey League / Central West Junior "B" league
Insider
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:54 pm

I was quite impressed as The Mariners held their training camp this past weekend. They had well over 20 bodies and alot of players I could not recognize. Although I did recognize Former Red Wing Garrett Thistle on the Bruce II ice and he should help the Mariners back end. Noticeably absent from the first day was Mariner regulars Brett Robinson and Greg Edgar. Rumors have Robinson remaining with the Mariners but he now has a job in Alberta and will be on and off all season.

To my surprise, Greg Edgar made an appearance at the camp on Saturday, bringing with him young guy Jasper Dicks (I assume it was dicks because he had Dicks on the back of his jersey) There were rumors that both Dicks and Edgar had been signed by Bishop's Falls.

The Mariners also had a few returnees including Goaltenders Luke Canning and Shane Hatcher along with players Mike Walsh, Nick Tucker, Cody Musseau, Jon Snow and Russel MacLean.

Absent from camp were Scott Francis, Sid Ransome, Brandon Mitchell, Chad Leriche and Roger Snow.

From what I hear Roger Snow will play for the Mariners this year but hopefully it won't be like last year and he will play at the start of the year. As I said earlier there were a few guys there I could not recognize but I will ask around and see if I can find out who they are . Someone told me they were here going to college so that may be why I don't know them.

With the wings not in the league where have Vincent, Kennedy, Hobbs and these guys ended up. I assume all teams have had interest in these guys. I know the Mariners have got Thistle and I think I seen Andrew Strangemore here as well, but there is still alot of guys out there which should make for an interesting couple of weeks.

Hockeystar44

Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:11 pm

The mariners also have grant vincent and jordan kennedy.

gillam_09

Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:08 pm

Insider wrote:I was quite impressed as The Mariners held their training camp this past weekend. They had well over 20 bodies and alot of players I could not recognize. Although I did recognize Former Red Wing Garrett Thistle on the Bruce II ice and he should help the Mariners back end. Noticeably absent from the first day was Mariner regulars Brett Robinson and Greg Edgar. Rumors have Robinson remaining with the Mariners but he now has a job in Alberta and will be on and off all season.

To my surprise, Greg Edgar made an appearance at the camp on Saturday, bringing with him young guy Jasper Dicks (I assume it was dicks because he had Dicks on the back of his jersey) There were rumors that both Dicks and Edgar had been signed by Bishop's Falls.

The Mariners also had a few returnees including Goaltenders Luke Canning and Shane Hatcher along with players Mike Walsh, Nick Tucker, Cody Musseau, Jon Snow and Russel MacLean.

Absent from camp were Scott Francis, Sid Ransome, Brandon Mitchell, Chad Leriche and Roger Snow.

From what I hear Roger Snow will play for the Mariners this year but hopefully it won't be like last year and he will play at the start of the year. As I said earlier there were a few guys there I could not recognize but I will ask around and see if I can find out who they are . Someone told me they were here going to college so that may be why I don't know them.

With the wings not in the league where have Vincent, Kennedy, Hobbs and these guys ended up. I assume all teams have had interest in these guys. I know the Mariners have got Thistle and I think I seen Andrew Strangemore here as well, but there is still alot of guys out there which should make for an interesting couple of weeks.
tucks kept me up to date all weekend on the camp as well as simms who went for a skate friday and strangemore. as for snow this isnt uncommon for him to miss camp but i heard he is committed. Brett is doin camp work at shell, was out downbtown with him a couple weeks ago he told me hes playin this year wouldnt miss it but depending on work he wont make all the games . sid is in bc. according to tucks scotty and chad are both signed tho. i was told by alot of people who kno him that jasper dicks has riley ricks skill. def an upgrade for the mariners this year.

Insider

Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:19 pm

If the mariners have kennedy and vincent they should be a force this year... I haven't heard a sound from Bishops or sville

kwh4050

Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:46 pm

Insider wrote:If the mariners have kennedy and vincent they should be a force this year... I haven't heard a sound from Bishops or sville
We're just keeping quiet for now, lol.....

Snipeshow89

Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:31 am

With Vincent Kennedy skinner and Thistle added to a Mariners roster who has hardly lost anyone, i could see a repeat for the regular season. Robinson might only make half the games but the ones he do make hes a factor every time he steps on the ice. If Roger Snow and Grant Vincent make the majority of the games the Mariners are going to be hard to beat. Tucker in his last year will be hungry for a championship, likewise with Edgar.

kwh4050

Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:10 am

I'm pretty sure it's going to be an exciting season overall..........

habs91

Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:55 am

Robinson was taken 17th overall by Mount Pearl in the AESHL draft

Insider

Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:52 pm

with robinson out west I doubt he will be leaving the Mariners.... I assume thats also the reason he slipped so far in the draft

habs91

Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:45 pm

Insider wrote:with robinson out west I doubt he will be leaving the Mariners.... I assume thats also the reason he slipped so far in the draft
Probably, although he had to enter himself into the draft.

• Information