Allan Cup

Central West Senior Hockey League discussions - Clarenville Caribous, Grand Falls Windsor Cataracts & Gander Flyers.
Langerfan
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:30 pm

Silverhawk wrote:
Langerfan wrote:
canonball wrote:you don`t have 9 of them
I used those three as examples only, not to suggest that was the only three players on the Cats who are good enough to compete at the AC. From Whiffen on out, I think the Cats could give any team up there a run for their money. I think McCoy is right......you Caribou fans are selling the league short by suggesting that your club team can't compete. Maybe the Bous can't measure up but don't sell the Cats short because of your lack of faith in your own team's ability.
oh caribous fans have LOADS of faith in their team's ability... its the ney-sayers on here that doubt the caribous abilities.
So what do you think? Would the Caribous be competitive at the AC with their regular club team?

canonball

Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:31 am

No don`t think so , and you say that the cats would be competitive , there was not that much difference in the two teams this year , yes the Cats won the Herder this year and they had a good team but no they would be no more competitive than any team from NL .. lets see what happens this year and then we can build for 2015. When the bous first went to the Allan cup some people on here laughed at the thought of it saying it was a waste of money and would only down grade the team , and it was not a club house team , there were players from the DL team .Do you guys think that a pee wee team from Reidsville can compete with a team from St Johns ... someone is out to lunch here , O and perhaps a team from Corner Brook who can pick up 5 imports for the year ( if they can get some one to pick their team for them )can compete for the Allan cup

Sergio

Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:11 am

canonball wrote:No don`t think so , and you say that the cats would be competitive , there was not that much difference in the two teams this year , yes the Cats won the Herder this year and they had a good team but no they would be no more competitive than any team from NL .. lets see what happens this year and then we can build for 2015. When the bous first went to the Allan cup some people on here laughed at the thought of it saying it was a waste of money and would only down grade the team , and it was not a club house team , there were players from the DL team .Do you guys think that a pee wee team from Reidsville can compete with a team from St Johns ... someone is out to lunch here , O and perhaps a team from Corner Brook who can pick up 5 imports for the year ( if they can get some one to pick their team for them )can compete for the Allan cup
You must be one of the ney sayers Silverhawk was talking about.

canonball

Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:28 am

No not one of the ney sayers ,one of the biggest fans for NL hockey and hope that it continues just saying it as I see it , as a matter of fact I will be there to cheer on the team .Only way I think that we can have a team to compete against teams like Dundas and the rest of the teams at the allan cup is to go back to the way we got our players a few years ago and that would not work for our league and it would not survive like that ,,We have a good competitive league here so keep it the way it is , a few tweeks here or there and all teams will be evenly matched.. If we add to our imports that will give us a more competitive team to compete at those tournaments but the NL league would not survive. Some say that the Cats would be competitive at this tournament , and like I said they had a good team there but do you think that they were that much better than the Bous ,I don`t and I don`t think that either one would win the Allan cup without added players ... Now if you want to pick a team made up of just Newfoundlanders yes we surly do have a shot at winning .... Like I said JMO

Toiletbowl

Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:51 am

The Bous and the Cats could both compete in this tournament with their club teams. Lets be honest other than Jay Mckee and Barnaby no one heard of those other NHLers. And they can only put on five players at a time, and its also a tournament not a long series. So any team can win on any giving night. Seems like your making excuses before the tournament is even started.

Silverhawk

Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:39 am

It boils down to this... the Allan Cup is a whole different ballgame. The First year the Caribous went up, they were blown outta the water. They learned from that experience, and made necessary adjustments. The first year the Cataracts attended Allan Cup, guess what?.. they were also blown outta the water.... Until a team is up there and bares witness to the hockey played - you don't know. You can't compare apples to oranges here. Its apples to apples.

If you plan to have your team attend Allan Cup, you better put together the very best team you can, if not you may as well take a lighter to the 20-40K it costs to go and light 'er up boys... Because at the end of the day if your not going up with the BEST team to represent the Atlantic region your simply wasting your time.
Be Loud, Be Herd. Go 'Bous Go
2015 Allan Cup Host Team

- 2012 Herder Memorial Champs
- 2011 Allan Cup Champs
- 2010 Herder Memorial Champs
- 2009 Herder Memorial Champs

catsfan200

Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:05 am

Silverhawk wrote:It boils down to this... the Allan Cup is a whole different ballgame. The First year the Caribous went up, they were blown outta the water. They learned from that experience, and made necessary adjustments. The first year the Cataracts attended Allan Cup, guess what?.. they were also blown outta the water.... Until a team is up there and bares witness to the hockey played - you don't know. You can't compare apples to oranges here. Its apples to apples.

If you plan to have your team attend Allan Cup, you better put together the very best team you can, if not you may as well take a lighter to the 20-40K it costs to go and light 'er up boys... Because at the end of the day if your not going up with the BEST team to represent the Atlantic region your simply wasting your time.
The Cats never necessarily got blown out ….…. they lost 5-2,3-2 in OT,then won in Quarter Finals 5-1 then it was one game which was 7-2 (You Can Call this a blow out) where they lost in Semi-Finals who eventually the guys who won Allan Cup….. By the way I'm looking back at the stats from few years ago on the website lol
Last edited by catsfan200 on Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
2011 Herder Champions
2014 Herder Champions
2015 Herder Champions
2016 Herder Champions
Go Cats Go!

Follow me on twitter @markie800200

#1BousFan

Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:06 am

Hope they can make it all the way to the allan cup finals so we watch the game on TSN, It's going to suck that we can watch the games online but that's all we can do, That is why I hope they makes it to the finals, Go Bous Go!
Clarenville Caribous 2018 Herder Champions
Clarenville Caribous--2012 Herder Champions
Clarenville Caribous- 2011 Allan Cup Champions
Clarenville Caribous- -2010 Herder Champions
Clarenville Caribous- 2009 Herder Champions

Caribous insider

Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:49 am

catsfan200 wrote:
Silverhawk wrote:It boils down to this... the Allan Cup is a whole different ballgame. The First year the Caribous went up, they were blown outta the water. They learned from that experience, and made necessary adjustments. The first year the Cataracts attended Allan Cup, guess what?.. they were also blown outta the water.... Until a team is up there and bares witness to the hockey played - you don't know. You can't compare apples to oranges here. Its apples to apples.

The Cats never necessarily got blown out ….…. they lost 5-2,3-2 in OT,then won in Quarter Finals 5-1 then it was one game which was 7-2 (You Can Call this a blow out) where they lost in Semi-Finals who eventually the guys who won Allan Cup….. By the way I'm looking back at the stats from few years ago on the website lol
The Cats put up a great showing at the AC. They also learned for the Caribous experience there and even took Coach Hapgood along.

Caribous insider

Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:52 am

McCoys0077 wrote:Hello Group
Just read through some, how do I say, "interesting" posts. Somebody mentioned trashing the Nfld league...nobody said that and certainly I would never feel that way.
To answer about cards, as far as I know Hockey Canada governs this. The total any team can have on their final roster is 25 by Feb 10. Before that I believe it's 40 cards.

As for the Nfld teams, guys I think you're selling yourself short. Most of your players do play Major Jr or University. Add in the fact that most of the Nfld players are, on average, must younger, than these ex-NHLers that we have, and I think you will not only compete but have a great shot at winning.

Add in the fact that you added in 9 "hand-picked" players from your team, and I go back to my original post...Clarenville is one of the favourites...if not "the" favourite to win it all.

To address your question about imports....the answer is ZERO imports. I only know of one player who was ever an import in the Ontario league...and he was a brother of a player on the team.

We do not need to fly in imports...mainly due to our population...but again all players are from here.

To answer another question, as far as I know ALL of the ex-pros live in the area, with some right here in town.

To answer another question, take a look back at our rosters....go year by year....you will see tons of ex-NHLers on the roster, again year after year. Rick Vaive, Steven Rice, Todd Harvey, etc...they play on their "club" teams for multiple seasons...not just for a home Allan Cup. Jay McKee, Nick Smith, Ryan Christie, Jeff MacMillan-all ex pros that were on the team last year and before.

Please don't take my posts as anything negative towards Nfld hockey. Honestly, I think you have the best Senior league in the country....bar none.

And I think that your regular teams...actually I am positive your regular club teams would compete. your first year that you entered and didn't win shouldn't be the only measuring stick.

Good luck...hope to see some of you in Dundas.
The Caribous practice at 11:00 am on Monday morning and play their first game at 3:30 on Tuesday. Look me up.........my name is Todd. :-D

• Information