Newfoundland All-stars

Central West Senior Hockey League discussions - Clarenville Caribous, Grand Falls Windsor Cataracts & Gander Flyers.
top cheese
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:06 pm

I think what both arguments prove is that Hockey Canada needs to have standardized rules for everyone to make the tournament legitimate. I don't believe having a normal hockey discussion should result in cynicism and sarcasm.

Clarenville had a considerable ex-pro line-up as well......sweetland, Obrien, cambell, ryan, Russell, Quinn. I have heard gallant and Fergus were offered echl contracts this past year and turned them down...Sullivan was an nhl draft pick......I am quite sure that deroisais huliet could have played pro if they wanted to continue that route after schoo... then you have Churchill who is an NHL draft pick goaltender who should have been playing at a pro levell......... Clarenville also wanted to take Henniger who is as far as iam concerned should be able to continue playing in AHL. and Mignardi who was a ex pro to I believe, Keith Delaney couldn't commit he played in the AHL and should have for longer then he did........Ryan and Obrien both have NHL experience.

Catch 22

Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:31 pm

top cheese wrote:I think what both arguments prove is that Hockey Canada needs to have standardized rules for everyone to make the tournament legitimate. I don't believe having a normal hockey discussion should result in cynicism and sarcasm.

Clarenville had a considerable ex-pro line-up as well......sweetland, Obrien, cambell, ryan, Russell, Quinn. I have heard gallant and Fergus were offered echl contracts this past year and turned them down...Sullivan was an nhl draft pick......I am quite sure that deroisais huliet could have played pro if they wanted to continue that route after schoo... then you have Churchill who is an NHL draft pick goaltender who should have been playing at a pro levell......... Clarenville also wanted to take Henniger who is as far as iam concerned should be able to continue playing in AHL. and Mignardi who was a ex pro to I believe, Keith Delaney couldn't commit he played in the AHL and should have for longer then he did........Ryan and Obrien both have NHL experience.
Let me spell it out for you top cheese... The Allan Cup has been working for A LONG TIME now and Hockey Canada has got it right to level the playing field. I find it FUNNY that you should focus on all Caribous players for the Allan Cup team versus other teams like Bentley and Dundas. Both teams of which I have no problem with I might add.

There is ZERO difference between the Caribous and say Bentley... BOTH are following Hockey Canada rules however both send their teams in a different way. The Caribous (because of restrictions imposed on them by the NLSHL constitution) use more AP's and Bentley loads up with PRO players ranging from Manitoba to British Columbia from the beginning of the season. 6 of 1 and half dozen of the other... what difference does it make... The tournament is legitimate....

There is also a big difference between a player that played 802 games in the NHL compared to someone who played 5.

Unfortunately cynicism and sarcasm arrives following the discriminatory comments Wade and others made about Newfies...

superfan

Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:49 pm

.... and catch long story short, it is fantastic hockey and I cant thank all involved nearly enough .

And congrats to the Mc Coys on a great win .

Toiletbowl

Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:00 am

After 4 pages I can't read this Wade tool anymore. The Caribous didn't break any rules. If you have a problem write Hockey Canada, not Hockey Talk.
Wade you get on here and say how Dundas had the same team all year. OF COURSE THEY DID THEY HOSTED THE ALLAN CUP. Players signed there cause they had a 100% shot at a AC birth. Smarten up you know and so do I.
And to continue the argument that this is a NL All Star team. They Left the Leagues leading scorer home as well as the leagues Top Goal scorer. And Wiffen who won the top Goalie and MVP of the playoffs sitting on their bench. So wait til next year when the Cats and Bous walk all over the competition. The Bous and Cats will have the top players from NL and Imports waiting at their door seeming their in the AC for sure. Just like Dundas were.
I wonder what your excuses will be next year. Hotel beds are uncomfortable, Jet leg, haha I can only imagine. Now go to bed, try not to cry yourself to sleep. Your a sore loser or winner don't even know who you cheer for, nor do I care. And to say calling us Newfies, isn't wrong then just shows your maturity level, and futher solidifies our argument that mainlanders are nothing but a bunch of stuck up snobs, who for whatever reason thinks their sh1t don't stink.

Sam Boney

Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:06 am

Toiletbowl wrote: And to say calling us Newfies, isn't wrong then just shows your maturity level, and futher solidifies our argument that mainlanders are nothing but a bunch of stuck up snobs, who for whatever reason thinks their sh1t don't stink.
Wow. Bit strong don't you think?

Silverhawk

Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:42 am

Fact of the matter is this... wade is only a small hand full of people who have issues, and that small hand full are fans only - NONE of the organizations have a problem with how Hockey Canada allows an Atlantic Rep to take part in the AC. Was speaking with someone who was at the tournament yesterday who were speaking with the other organizations and major sponsors, and no one has issues and in fact are happy to see the Atlantic able to take part again. They all understand the unique dynamics with us.

It's just the same as within our own league here. When someone doesn't agree with something, they are often quite loud with their opinion and make it seem like its a majority opinion, when in fact, nothing could be further from the truth.
Be Loud, Be Herd. Go 'Bous Go
2015 Allan Cup Host Team

- 2012 Herder Memorial Champs
- 2011 Allan Cup Champs
- 2010 Herder Memorial Champs
- 2009 Herder Memorial Champs

Toiletbowl

Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:29 am

No Sam I don't think it's abit much.

puckit

Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:11 am

Sam Boney wrote:
Toiletbowl wrote: And to say calling us Newfies, isn't wrong then just shows your maturity level, and futher solidifies our argument that mainlanders are nothing but a bunch of stuck up snobs, who for whatever reason thinks their sh1t don't stink.
Wow. Bit strong don't you think?
Hey Sam, I think a Toiletbowl would know who's $hit stinks!!! :lol: :lol:
If at first you don't succeed....PUCKIT!

top cheese

Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:08 pm

Boys you continue to miss the point of the argument and discussion it's not to put one side at fault or having sour grapes about winning and loosing. Wade makes a relevant point as do catch ( minus the unnecessary sarcasm). The point is that untill hockey canada or whomever works to standardize the playing field for all senior aaa hockey then the allan cup is not going to be a legitimate national championship. And currently weather your on both sides of the coin things don't add up to being fair.

The allan cup is as old and historic as the Stanley cup and has no where near the reputation it deserves bc of the way it's handled now. One further point, in the years in which clarenville has participated I'm willing to bet that it's been pretty close that the same 6 teams have competed. You always hear the names Bentley, dundas, Kendra, etc. it should be alarming that at a national title event there is no quebeac rep, no bc rep, and inconsistent representation from western provinces. Plus Atlantic Canada has to be represented by an all star team that basically receives a buy to the tournament bc there is no completion in Atlantic Canada. This alone should sound alarm bells as to how viable this tournament has become on the national scene. And that it appears that teams who have access to the $ to go get the right to attend and not through competition.

Tomcod

Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:23 pm

top cheese wrote:Boys you continue to miss the point of the argument and discussion it's not to put one side at fault or having sour grapes about winning and loosing. Wade makes a relevant point as do catch ( minus the unnecessary sarcasm). The point is that untill hockey canada or whomever works to standardize the playing field for all senior aaa hockey then the allan cup is not going to be a legitimate national championship. And currently weather your on both sides of the coin things don't add up to being fair.

The allan cup is as old and historic as the Stanley cup and has no where near the reputation it deserves bc of the way it's handled now. One further point, in the years in which clarenville has participated I'm willing to bet that it's been pretty close that the same 6 teams have competed. You always hear the names Bentley, dundas, Kendra, etc. it should be alarming that at a national title event there is no quebeac rep, no bc rep, and inconsistent representation from western provinces. Plus Atlantic Canada has to be represented by an all star team that basically receives a buy to the tournament bc there is no completion in Atlantic Canada. This alone should sound alarm bells as to how viable this tournament has become on the national scene. And that it appears that teams who have access to the $ to go get the right to attend and not through competition.

Hey Top Cheese you dont have a clue what you are talking about ... Afew years ago when the Cataracts went to the Allan Cup they had four affilate players .. they played in the round robin against Rosetown WHO HAD TWELVE APS in their lineup...by the way Rosetown went to the championship game that year...So the mainland teams have the best of both worlds... they can stack up with all the players they want from all over plus they can pick up APS..

fUNNY THING NEVER HEARD A WORD FROM WADE THAT YEAR THAT YEAR ABOUT APS.. DONT SUPPOSE IT WAS BECAUSE THEY WON THE CUP ... STAY TUNED...

• Information