Herder in St. John's

Central West Senior Hockey League discussions - Clarenville Caribous, Grand Falls Windsor Cataracts & Gander Flyers.
Catch 22
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:08 pm

chesterfriedchicken wrote:
Catch 22 wrote:

In the meantime the rest of the island (outside the overpass) has a decent game of hockey to watch. Since your obviously from town why don't you mind your own business and go back to watching your Ice Caps game (that's not going to last long either).

I'm sorry, I know in your eyes the Central West league is better than the AHL. No doubt you do have a good game to watch, is it our (people living east of central) fault that we have an AHL team? Old school mentality and negativity - for what? I guess whatever makes you feel good.

On a real note, down to the jack byrne last night we were told that the East league is playing for the herder 100% and would be allowed 5 or 6 pickups from any team on the island, meaning if for example Gander doesn't win the west league, the winner of the east can take players from their team. Not sure who's going to play for nothing, some fellas won't get off the couch if they aren't getting paid for it. I still don't think its a good idea, and still don't think they'll compete but the big question is, what is the name of the trophy that the west league plays for? I spose they will have to get one. I'm sure the old West league trophy is kicking around somewhere? who was the last team to win that one? Grand Falls in 2011?
Ive seen my fair share of AHL and NHL games (100+ AHL - 20+ NHL). And do I believe the CWSHL is a higher caliber... absolutely not.

Point is the CWSHL has a decent on ice product that's worth watching when someone doesn't want to venture over the TCH for a 2-3-4-5 hour drive in the middle of winter to view a entertaining and competitive game of hockey.

Regardless of your negative personal views about the league, paid players, caliber, structure and financial problems those smaller communities outside the overpass support it (and appreciate it).

Fair enough...

canonball

Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:03 pm

Catch what is your take on entertaining and competitive we have the same at the CWSHL,, much rather watch this than AHL right now

top cheese

Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:11 pm

if this is done the Herder will loose all creditability it has remaining. and to make a decision mid season is a joke.

titan

Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:32 pm

top cheese wrote:if this is done the Herder will loose all creditability it has remaining. and to make a decision mid season is a joke.
I'm pretty sure this is done top cheese. I also think all teams in the West have known about this for some time now. Looking like the winner of the West will play a loaded team from the East. Never heard the talk about the East using players from the West league once they are eliminamed but hey, who knows. I would say that part of the Herder championship will be played in the St. Johns area and whichever team represents the West will likely play their home games in their own rinks. Going to be interesting to see how each team and their fans will react to this.

Caribous insider

Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:08 pm

titan wrote:
top cheese wrote:if this is done the Herder will loose all creditability it has remaining. and to make a decision mid season is a joke.
I'm pretty sure this is done top cheese. I also think all teams in the West have known about this for some time now. Looking like the winner of the West will play a loaded team from the East. Never heard the talk about the East using players from the West league once they are eliminamed but hey, who knows. I would say that part of the Herder championship will be played in the St. Johns area and whichever team represents the West will likely play their home games in their own rinks. Going to be interesting to see how each team and their fans will react to this.
This has not been agreed to by the west teams and nothing is finalized. Meeting this week......

evanpenton

Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:11 am

So let ne get this straight... the east is going to make an allstar team and then get to pick 6 players from the west and play the west champion? So the royals win the herder and the east team gets an allstar team plus brennan sweetland derosiers luke gallant rodi short and brandon roach...

What a joke.
GO CATS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!

titan

Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:23 am

Caribous insider wrote:
titan wrote:
This has not been agreed to by the west teams and nothing is finalized. Meeting this week......
From what I'm hearing,it doesn't matter if the teams from the West (including the Flyers) agree or not. If they don't agree then they will not be playing for the Herder this year. If that's the case then any team who refuses to play for the Herder should be non eligible to play for the Allen Cup, host, last years winnerror or not. The Allen Cup is part of the problem with senior hockey in NL over the last number of year. Gone from a decent game of hockey to a rec league to a bunch of guys skating around saying excuse me,sorry,didn't mean to get in your way!! All because they want to play in the big show. In NL the Herder should be the big prize, play for it or stay home!!

titan

Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:24 am

evanpenton wrote:So let ne get this straight... the east is going to make an allstar team and then get to pick 6 players from the west and play the west champion? So the royals win the herder and the east team gets an allstar team plus brennan sweetland derosiers luke gallant rodi short and brandon roach...

What a joke.

titan

Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:25 am

evanpenton wrote:So let ne get this straight... the east is going to make an allstar team and then get to pick 6 players from the west and play the west champion? So the royals win the herder and the east team gets an allstar team plus brennan sweetland derosiers luke gallant rodi short and brandon roach...

What a joke.
Ask your Uncle. Then tell us the facts. Lmao

tripper

Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:02 am

If Hockey NL plans on having the AESHL Allstar team vs the Winner of the West my prediction is at Mile one regardless of who plays there will be approximately 500 fans at Mile One for each game and more than likely I will not be one of them. This will do nothing for Senior Hockey at all. Let's face it hockey years ago was a big social event and had so much community rivalry. Senior hockey across the province is at it's lowest point with regards to fan interest. We have the most calibre of hockey players we have ever seen but the intensity and community interest is just not there anymore. I know they will never bring back the fight rule but I think Hockey Canada went overboard when the brought in all the restrictions and this is a major factor in the attendance throughout the province. Whether a fight happened in a game or not it certainly took out the intensity throughout. I would understand Hockey Canada's reasoning if they eliminated the two fight rule as this would get rid of the goon's but the restrictions the brought into place are too strict. To cut down on goon work and games getting out of hand they should have had if you got a instigator in the last five mins then be gone for the next game and if you have one fight at any point throughout the game just a game misconduct for that game only and only a suspension for the next game if you get a instigator in the last five minutes. My understanding is that if one you have three fighting game misconducts you have to sit for a two game suspension. Get rid of that and have it if you have six fighting game misconducts be gone for the year. Even our leagues gritty players only have three or fights a year so let's no penalize them for that and bring back the intensity.

• Information