Article in Telegram on Next Season

Central West Senior Hockey League discussions - Clarenville Caribous, Grand Falls Windsor Cataracts & Gander Flyers.
Flyer24
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:18 pm

As a sponsor of the Gander Flyers I know first hand what SR Hockey brings to our community. if all teams are agreeing to reduce imports to save money that's fine. Reading this telegram article leads me to believe that it's nothing more than another step in creating two equal leagues. if the teams out here all want 4-5 imports and the fans and sponsors allow that to happen, I really do not see how HNL can stop it.

Watching those old farts and their ugly HNL Blazers on the ice turns my stomach actually haha

Ivan

Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:30 pm

evanpenton wrote:I think that's what clarenville secretely wants . They always side with hnl because they have had 3 or 4 imports grandfathered in.

The cwshl will fold and clarenville will ship over to the aeshl and dominate
Evan there's no secrets in Clarenville. We know what we want and it's not the AESHL, we don't have 6 players on our team that would qualify as our players under their rules . Hard to dominate without a team. You know what happens when you make statements without facts. We need to be all together on this, and comments such as yours don't help cooperation. As for all teams in the West being on the same page regarding imports etc, it's called. A compromising agreement that will allow us all stay in business. I've got over 30yrs business experience and that's the approach I intend to bring to the table of the CWSHL. Once we get a common ground that's good for all teams in the West, we have no base to fight HNL or anyone else, but I agree, equal imports accross the board for all teams. The exact number TBD by CWSHL teams.
Remember what works in one of the CWSHL towns may not work in the other. For one the discrepancy in town size, population wise is a Huge factor. And yes Clarenville will be at the table to fight this battle with no hidden agenda, the only agenda is to present the business model that's avaliable to us in Clarenville and try to build a competitive team based on the fan base and sponserships that are avaliable to us. Nothing more, nothing less. See you at the Joe this weekend.

superfan

Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:09 pm

See you on Saturday night Ivan .

I got forty ton to set off on Friday , and I hope to be on the road before the rocks stop landing.

.... fire in the hole :ymapplause: .

superfan

Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:27 pm

CWSHL forever :ymapplause: .

canonball

Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:09 am

thelionsden wrote:
HockeyFan29 wrote:
This is just the beginning ;-)

Your Wrong HockeyFan29.....it not just the Beginning...it's the START OF THE END.....Wink, Smile, Laugh do what ever you want...But when you try to bring a league down that works and is committed to bringing the hockey fans in the Central Western part of the province some good quality hockey, that my friend if WRONG.

I for one would like to see the league take a stand and move forward, rather than backwards. I dearly love the Herder and what it stands for...My question is does HNL know what it stands for??? If it takes giving the Herder to the East and the League going after a major sponsor to put up a trophy...i'm full board in support of that, What ever keeps Senior hockey alive and HNL's hands out of it is good with me.

seems like you are on board to let the AESHL have their Herder but are the rest of the Cats big brass ready to . They did play the east last week for the Herder . What would have happened if they refused to play we all know that they were the best in the west and isn`t that all that matters so you say .

Mr. BoJangles

Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:32 am

Ivan wrote:
evanpenton wrote:I think that's what clarenville secretely wants . They always side with hnl because they have had 3 or 4 imports grandfathered in.

The cwshl will fold and clarenville will ship over to the aeshl and dominate
Evan there's no secrets in Clarenville. We know what we want and it's not the AESHL, we don't have 6 players on our team that would qualify as our players under their rules . Hard to dominate without a team. You know what happens when you make statements without facts. We need to be all together on this, and comments such as yours don't help cooperation. As for all teams in the West being on the same page regarding imports etc, it's called. A compromising agreement that will allow us all stay in business. I've got over 30yrs business experience and that's the approach I intend to bring to the table of the CWSHL. Once we get a common ground that's good for all teams in the West, we have no base to fight HNL or anyone else, but I agree, equal imports accross the board for all teams. The exact number TBD by CWSHL teams.
Remember what works in one of the CWSHL towns may not work in the other. For one the discrepancy in town size, population wise is a Huge factor. And yes Clarenville will be at the table to fight this battle with no hidden agenda, the only agenda is to present the business model that's avaliable to us in Clarenville and try to build a competitive team based on the fan base and sponserships that are avaliable to us. Nothing more, nothing less. See you at the Joe this weekend.
This works until some team teams get together and vote a deal that works for them but not ALL TEAMS EQUALLY! Then it is whatever is best for US.

Tomcod

Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:23 am

The article just goes to show how out of touch that the people running senior hockey in NL really are.. They are doing nothing to grow senior hockey .. Again i say those people havent got a clue how to build the AESHL into a league that is competitive with the CWSHL.. Shame on you people for being so arrogant & short sighted .. stay tuned ...

top cheese

Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:45 pm

Ivan makes a really good point that I don't think a lot of people understand. We can only imagine the challenges that exist to accomplish parity and maintain good business structure.

Just a couple comments for discussion purposes:

1) Wasn't it Corner Brook and Deer Lake who a couple of years ago requested more imports because it was cheaper for them to use players from Nova Scotia then it was to bring them out from St. Johns. Great to have territorial picks but how many "local" born players actually live on the west coast?

2) Still boggles my mind about the people complaining about the CWHL is "semi-pro" and that the Herder is for amateur only players. Players have been compensated since the dawn of senior hockey and herder play in this province. Weather it was the 60's, the old Newfoundland provincial league, or any current structure. Its only recently that player compensation has been an open issue because of the taxman suddenly becoming involved. People need to realize that "amateur" teams that "played for the love of the game" such as CBN, Flatrock, Southern SHore compensated their players to weather they want to believe it or not.

3) People on here and in the media have complained about how strong they are. I think they should be reminded of the community effort that has been put into making the team what it is today. There hockey staff and everyone for that matter should be commended for the transformation that has taken place in Grand Falls over the past 10 years. At that time if my memory serves me correctly there was a lot of concerns about off ice things that effected the team. Grand Falls right now is probably a model for senior hockey teams in Canada so its not surprising to here people upset over the way HNL has handled issues with the league this year.

superfan

Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:53 pm

We talked about the Cats , at job meeting today

.... the Cats are well known across the Rock and right across the country .

superfan

Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:54 pm

We talked about the Cats , at job meeting today (we were supposed to be talking about mine development LOL) .

.... the Cats are well known across the Rock, and right across the country .

• Information