A.J. Whiffen Speaks

Central West Senior Hockey League discussions - Clarenville Caribous, Grand Falls Windsor Cataracts & Gander Flyers.
superfan
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:21 pm

.... ain't that right AJ ?

Newbie123

Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:44 pm

Caribous insider wrote:
Newbie123 wrote:Gillis and the cats d > Churchill and the bous d
It's got nothing to do with the Caribous.....
I made it about that

The Bottom Line

Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:36 am

Caribous insider wrote:He said she said! It had to happen eventually! Top goalie in the league for years, (so the stats and Catsfans say) the beloved AJ, has one bad game in the AC play downs and then gets tossed aside like an old PMP5030! Never even got to start one game! There's no way to justify that! What the heck did everyone think the end result would be?!?!? And guess what byes.....even with the Cats great defence core in front of him.....Gillis is not as good as AJ. Just wait and see......JMO
Beloved AJ ???? Tossed aside ????? Really ? The team had 2 goalies and 2 games. Aj started one and wasn't that great. Gilis started one and stood on his head. So the coach, did what most coach's would do and started the goalie who looked better, then Gillis played awesome each game. Bottom line, he earned his keep and the coach, with plenty of pro experience, went with who he thought was best for the job at that time. It was only a few months back that the Penguins won the Stanley cup with Fleury on the bench. And guess who's back starting with the team this year.....right, Fleury.

thelionsden

Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:12 am

timbits wrote:http://www.gfwadvertiser.ca/Sports/2016 ... m=facebook

After reading this article, as a cats fan, it makes me wish I never purchased my holding seats this season to be honest. It's bullsh*t like this that kills the league. Pure bullsh*t.

I am not sure who the GOCEEBEES poster is in the article with the comments below. But I have to set the record straight.I haven't been a member of the Cataracts executive for a couple of years. I did stay on as the "GAME DAY DIRECTOR" where ever you got your information, I suggest you check your source again.

on a side note, I wish A.J. the best in CBN

Seniorfan

Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:56 am

timbits wrote:http://www.gfwadvertiser.ca/Sports/2016 ... m=facebook

After reading this article, as a cats fan, it makes me wish I never purchased my holding seats this season to be honest. It's bullsh*t like this that kills the league. Pure bullsh*t.
You read the article but did it ever occur to you that there might be another side to this story? The Advertiser's writer didn't even bother to contact the Cats to get their side. Poor journalism. Let's see if the Cats respond. Maybe hold your judgement until the whole story hopefully gets out.

GenoSniper

Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:01 pm

The Bottom Line wrote:
Caribous insider wrote:He said she said! It had to happen eventually! Top goalie in the league for years, (so the stats and Catsfans say) the beloved AJ, has one bad game in the AC play downs and then gets tossed aside like an old PMP5030! Never even got to start one game! There's no way to justify that! What the heck did everyone think the end result would be?!?!? And guess what byes.....even with the Cats great defence core in front of him.....Gillis is not as good as AJ. Just wait and see......JMO
Beloved AJ ???? Tossed aside ????? Really ? The team had 2 goalies and 2 games. Aj started one and wasn't that great. Gilis started one and stood on his head. So the coach, did what most coach's would do and started the goalie who looked better, then Gillis played awesome each game. Bottom line, he earned his keep and the coach, with plenty of pro experience, went with who he thought was best for the job at that time. It was only a few months back that the Penguins won the Stanley cup with Fleury on the bench. And guess who's back starting with the team this year.....right, Fleury.

I have heard it time and time again the reason Gillis got the start is becasue of the games against NB! To me it's a BS call! I have talk to players on the team that will say after the score was so lopsided they eased off. Also they rolled all 4 lines putting players in certain rolls they normally don't see. Example putting your number 3 or 4 center to take face offs in the defensive zone. Not to mention AJ had just proved himself for 3 year! You kick him to the curb over one game doesn't seem right to me!

Goceebees

Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:12 pm

thelionsden wrote:

I am not sure who the GOCEEBEES poster is in the article with the comments below. But I have to set the record straight.I haven't been a member of the Cataracts executive for a couple of years. I did stay on as the "GAME DAY DIRECTOR" where ever you got your information, I suggest you check your source again.

on a side note, I wish A.J. the best in CBN
Just to set the record straight, that GOCEEBEES poster is not me. Cool name though.

Wade

Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:37 pm

When Whiffen has played Allan Cup tournament games, he's been good. I've seen him play well and always thought of him as a "good" goaltender in the tournament.

However, he's never been as good as Churchill and he was (IMO) outperformed by Gillis in, in Steinbach, last April.

To win an Allan Cup, teams need ALL players to be prepared & understanding of the roster rules & options. Nobody is entitled to a roster spot and at any moment a Coach or a GM need to be able to dig into the long lost of options and try to gain a better chance at winning a game. IMO, That's all GFW were trying to do when they went to Gillis and from what I saw...they had the right goalie in the game. They got beat because their top line got shut down and the second line couldn't quite step up & fill the void against a very good SEPT team. It was a good tournament for GFW and it's really disappointing to read this article...where a player is clearly bitter about being second fiddle to someone else. I mean...Geez...the Coach made a decision on which goalie he was gonna start and he did it on a game day...this is standard stuff, AJ.

Seniorfan

Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:47 pm

Wade wrote:When Whiffen has played Allan Cup tournament games, he's been good. I've seen him play well and always thought of him as a "good" goaltender in the tournament.

However, he's never been as good as Churchill and he was (IMO) outperformed by Gillis in, in Steinbach, last April.

To win an Allan Cup, teams need ALL players to be prepared & understanding of the roster rules & options. Nobody is entitled to a roster spot and at any moment a Coach or a GM need to be able to dig into the long lost of options and try to gain a better chance at winning a game. IMO, That's all GFW were trying to do when they went to Gillis and from what I saw...they had the right goalie in the game. They got beat because their top line got shut down and the second line couldn't quite step up & fill the void against a very good SEPT team. It was a good tournament for GFW and it's really disappointing to read this article...where a player is clearly bitter about being second fiddle to someone else. I mean...Geez...the Coach made a decision on which goalie he was gonna start and he did it on a game day...this is standard stuff, AJ.
Finally !! +1

canonball

Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:07 pm

[cod[/code]

Have to agree with you on that Wade .

I can remember when it was Churchill who got all of the s".""...... for wanting to play all games now it looks like someone else is taking it and he even quit

• Information