A.J. Whiffen Speaks

Central West Senior Hockey League discussions - Clarenville Caribous, Grand Falls Windsor Cataracts & Gander Flyers.
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:20 pm

The Bottom Line wrote:
Caribous insider wrote:He said she said! It had to happen eventually! Top goalie in the league for years, (so the stats and Catsfans say) the beloved AJ, has one bad game in the AC play downs and then gets tossed aside like an old PMP5030! Never even got to start one game! There's no way to justify that! What the heck did everyone think the end result would be?!?!? And guess what byes.....even with the Cats great defence core in front of him.....Gillis is not as good as AJ. Just wait and see......JMO
Beloved AJ ???? Tossed aside ????? Really ? The team had 2 goalies and 2 games. Aj started one and wasn't that great. Gilis started one and stood on his head. So the coach, did what most coach's would do and started the goalie who looked better, then Gillis played awesome each game. Bottom line, he earned his keep and the coach, with plenty of pro experience, went with who he thought was best for the job at that time. It was only a few months back that the Penguins won the Stanley cup with Fleury on the bench. And guess who's back starting with the team this year.....right, Fleury.
Bad example. Fleury is only starting because Matt Murray is injured. Their other option is Mike Condon. Fleury will soon be in a backup role he best get used to unless Pens find a trade partner

Drinks alota beer

Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:27 pm

The Bottom Line wrote:
Caribous insider wrote:He said she said! It had to happen eventually! Top goalie in the league for years, (so the stats and Catsfans say) the beloved AJ, has one bad game in the AC play downs and then gets tossed aside like an old PMP5030! Never even got to start one game! There's no way to justify that! What the heck did everyone think the end result would be?!?!? And guess what byes.....even with the Cats great defence core in front of him.....Gillis is not as good as AJ. Just wait and see......JMO
Beloved AJ ???? Tossed aside ????? Really ? The team had 2 goalies and 2 games. Aj started one and wasn't that great. Gilis started one and stood on his head. So the coach, did what most coach's would do and started the goalie who looked better, then Gillis played awesome each game. Bottom line, he earned his keep and the coach, with plenty of pro experience, went with who he thought was best for the job at that time. It was only a few months back that the Penguins won the Stanley cup with Fleury on the bench. And guess who's back starting with the team this year.....right, Fleury.

your forgetting thou AJ carried the Cats all season on his back. He has one bad game and the team turns on him .. give me a break..

Drinks alota beer

Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:31 pm

this is the kind of bull**** thats killing this league... the Cats had a chance to sign a local in AJ but said his demands were two high.. yet they sign imports for probably a hell of a lot more....Clarenville was then crying that they will have to fold because money was tight.. Yet they passed on locals who are proven talent and they sign imports,,,, WHAT A CROCK OF CRAP.. this league needs to fold...

Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:36 pm

Drinks alota beer wrote:this is the kind of bull**** thats killing this league... the Cats had a chance to sign a local in AJ but said his demands were two high.. yet they sign imports for probably a hell of a lot more....Clarenville was then crying that they will have to fold because money was tight.. Yet they passed on locals who are proven talent and they sign imports,,,, WHAT A CROCK OF CRAP.. this league needs to fold...
My thoughts exactly. I wouldn't mind begging for money if you tried what you could to cut costs. However they went out and signed 2 from outside the province then went on a media blitz of having no money. There were several players left in the draft. In pro sports when a small market club can't compete with the big boys they sign what they can and who best fits their model and budget.

Newbie123

Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:53 pm

Drinks alot

If i was the cats exec or the coach of the team and i have a player who is getting sooky and upset and making demands id let em walk.

Rumor around gfw was whiffen was saying he would be with the bees a week after the a cup. Why go out and give someone like that more money ?

Drinks alot and 123..... if a team goes out and lays off expensive players and imports and brings in locals to save money they will lose my money in a second. Teams wouldnt survive without imports.

Seniorfan

Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:48 pm

This was not all about money as some people who have no clue about the situation keep saying. There's a lot more to this than meets the eye as I've said before...a lot more. I'd caution people not to take what they read in the paper as gospel. Is expect the Cats will have a response shortly. They should have been given that opportunity before the article went to print. I suspect they didn't want to get into a public spat but now have no choice given what was said.

Flyer24

Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:47 pm

The article pretty well summarizes exactly what I heard from a few folks who were at the Allan Cup at the time. What I was told was that he was pissed because he was never told he wasn't starting, and wasn't given any reason why Gillis was starting. I may be wrong but I don't think there was much of a conversation between him and the coach from that day onward. Hopefully he plays great for the CeeBees.

Gobreakers

Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:29 pm

Flyer24 wrote:The article pretty well summarizes exactly what I heard from a few folks who were at the Allan Cup at the time. What I was told was that he was pissed because he was never told he wasn't starting, and wasn't given any reason why Gillis was starting. I may be wrong but I don't think there was much of a conversation between him and the coach from that day onward. Hopefully he plays great for the CeeBees.
He certainly played great for them yesterday and with the shutout Saturday, I'm assuming he played pretty well then as well. From the one game I saw he certainly impressed me.

catsfan96

Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:49 pm

I see AJ racking up a couple goose eggs this season, what hes done against the imports and better ECHL and College players of the west the east will be a easier task for Whiff IMO
GFW Cataracts 2010/2011 Herder Champs
GFW Cataracts 2013/2014 Herder Champs
GFW Cataracts 2014/2015 Herder Champs
GFW Cataracts 2015/2016 Herder Champs
GFW Cataracts 2016/2017 Allan Cup Champs

superfan

Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:19 pm

Whiffen is a great goalie and we wish him all the vert best :ymapplause) .

• Information