Telegram Article...

Central West Senior Hockey League discussions - Clarenville Caribous, Grand Falls Windsor Cataracts & Gander Flyers.
puckit
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:04 pm

Zekie wrote:Glad to see Don Kelly gone. Good riddance to bad luggage I say.

Disappointed to see Jack Lee back. Was hoping for a sweep.
YUP! The man most responsible for downgrading the talent pool of NL senior hockey gets re-elected by his cronies. I guess Paddy Cakes and Joe Mayonnaise are happy campers.
If at first you don't succeed....PUCKIT!

Hockey Eyes

Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:23 pm

Well hockey in Nfld is finally on the right track now and with imports gone from the CWSHL good prospects for a fourth team. I see a season in which all leagues will be okay and look forward to a Spring where there will be much talk again about the Herder and who is going to win. Things aren't perfect this year but teams in the CWSHL seem to understand that imports had to go for the league to survive. I hope the teams don't spend too much money just as in my own league the AESHL the cheque books don't come out this year. There will be temptation because there are possabilities the usual people will be shopping themselves around looking money. We will see what we will see but I am optimistic. I am seriously impressed with the west coast version of hockey if they can maintain half decent attendance and keep it a community league. Good luck to everybody.

top cheese

Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:19 pm

Senior Hockey is on the "right track" according to the old boys club and the AESHL who get to gain benefit from their vision of senior hockey being spread. It is not on the correct path to progression and making the game better.

While it is likely a necessity to reduce costs this season by eliminating imports. Many CWSHL/WCSHL fans make a valid argument saying how it will further reduce interest in the league and more importantly the level of hockey. It is a reality though that this upcoming season teams cant afford the substantial cost of flying players in while attendance continues to suffer for a many reasons.

There is nothing to be impressed with the WCSHL version of hockey. Community support is there initially but the level of hockey is below what you would see in a rec game. They also encourage fighting as a means to attract people to the game. It will only be a matter of time before executives and teams return to what has made them successful in the first place.

The cheque books come out in the AESHL just like everywhere else. Time for people in the EAST to stop believing that.

Flyer24

Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:21 pm

Anyone hear that Twillingate were the team interested in joining the league? Great place to play if you are the home team.

Seniorfan

Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:04 pm

Eliminating imports "might" reduce costs for some teams but won't help the bottom line if it reduces revenue by an equivilant or greater amount which is expected to be the case in GFW. No vision. Short term thinking.

Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:43 pm

Any updates? Has the mysterious 4th team be decided yet?

Seniorfan

Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:49 pm

123 wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:43 pm
Any updates? Has the mysterious 4th team be decided yet?
There's no "mysterious" 4th team. They said it would be better if they could find a 4th team. I wouldn't hold my breath. No players.

chesterfriedchicken

Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:50 pm

top cheese wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:19 pm
Senior Hockey is on the "right track" according to the old boys club and the AESHL who get to gain benefit from their vision of senior hockey being spread. It is not on the correct path to progression and making the game better.

While it is likely a necessity to reduce costs this season by eliminating imports. Many CWSHL/WCSHL fans make a valid argument saying how it will further reduce interest in the league and more importantly the level of hockey. It is a reality though that this upcoming season teams cant afford the substantial cost of flying players in while attendance continues to suffer for a many reasons.

There is nothing to be impressed with the WCSHL version of hockey. Community support is there initially but the level of hockey is below what you would see in a rec game. They also encourage fighting as a means to attract people to the game. It will only be a matter of time before executives and teams return to what has made them successful in the first place.

The cheque books come out in the AESHL just like everywhere else. Time for people in the EAST to stop believing that.
According to the Old Boys Club and AESHL? All teams voted in the Central West League to abolish imports. That had zero to do with any members of the AESHL. Very strange for you to place blame elsewhere. When will you ever learn? Fans make an argument yes, and the caliber will diminish slightly, but when your executive realizes it cannot survive by flying in players, you have to stop and listen to the music for once. It's your executives, the Central West League or whatever name the league goes by this year. The AESHL "REC" or "Beer League" as some of you put it, proved to hockey fans in NL this year, that you do not need to fly in a player to win the herder. Regardless of how the series was won, before you all start with, "They didn't win" or what's the other one "Series isn't over yet", most of you on here said they wouldn't win a game. Time for most of you to get your head out of the sand and realize that last season is over.

Maybe it won't work, but one thing is for certain, when you can't finish a season with the teams you start with, something has to change. And money being the biggest reason teams folded the tent mid season, the ball has to start rolling somewhere. Too bad it starts with imports, but that's your biggest money saver. Reduce ticket prices and perhaps the rinks will be full again. Who's paying $20 a ticket to go and watch locals? And I don't blame you. That said, If you can put names to players faces in your community, as opposed to seeing a guy in warmup and saying, "That's the guy we flew in from _______". Ed Kearsey couldn't walk through Corner Brook without heads turning. Think anyone recognized Tyler Hawes walking up broadway? Who's Tyler Hawes you might ask......Exactly my point.

aseyeseesit

Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:27 pm

Interesting comments about future of CWSHL in article on Cataracts website... www.GFWCataracts.ca

Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:25 am

Wowsers!! Based on that be lucky for there to be any kind of game for the CWSHL come Fall 2017.

• Information