East Playoffs

East Coast Senior Hockey League - Teams include CeeBees, Breakers, Eagles, Caps & Blues
Ziggy
What is the shape of a hockey puck?: triangle

Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:50 am

Gobreakers wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:47 pm
Hockey Eyes wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:21 pm

A four team league is the scenario that was explained to me but the name of the fourth team was " secret". I take that as meaning there is no fourth team at this stage. I suspect the issue might be economics....
On what do you base that suspicion? Because someone said it's a secret? Maybe there's no more to it than a possible team or teams not yet being in a position to formally announce that they plan to join the new league. You take it to mean there is no fourth team while I on the other hand take it mean that it could be an existing ECSHL team. Neither of us know anything for sure but hopefully I'm right and the 4th team is the Breakers, maybe even with some players from da Goulds.
I'm looking forward to the Caribous playing in the new league. I don't know what all the secret talk is about. I've been hearing lots of talk about a possible fourth and even fifth team. Rumors only and certainly unsubstantiated but I've never heard anyone say anything about anything being a secret.

Flyer24

Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:56 am

Gomez wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:33 pm
SS to Cville 175km
Pearl to Cville 178km
Hr Grace to Cville 162 km

Someone needs to brush up on their bayography
Awesome quote haha. Also, if there's $$ to be made that drive to Clarenville once a month will be worth it.

Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:38 pm

Let’s just get this season over with first as all in East seem to just be going thru the motions. Iron out a sensible league for next season.

Hockey Eyes

Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:51 pm

Gomez wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:33 pm
SS to Cville 175km
Pearl to Cville 178km
Hr Grace to Cville 162 km

Someone needs to brush up on their bayology

Not to put to fine point on it but if Mount Pearl to Clarenville is 178 km and Hr. Grace to Clarenville is 162 km ...then the math would tell you the distance between Mount Pearl and Harbour Grace is 16 km ..... hmmmm ?
The problem with the southern shore rink is that to get to the Trans Canada the first thing you have to do is drive across the Witless Bay Line. That's quite an ordeal. ... a muster station at the Glacier might be a better idea for a Southern Shore team . I am sure the blades would accomodate with parking and amenities and so forth. If that's the way the league goes.
The other thing mitigating against the shore as a fourth team is that there is no stadium. It is just a rink. Mount Pearl and Clarenville and Hr., Grace all have nice facilities to attract a crowd. Just a thought. Conception Bay Blues have a nice new stadium but they have just moved over from Bell Island so it might be a bit early for them to spread their wings so to speak ...
There are many issues to consider including the reaction of HNL to the whole thing. If a new league with the CeeBees , Clarenville and the Mount Pearl Blades is to drive the ECSHL into the ditch...how does that play in the boardrooms ? Torbay , and the the Breakers and the St. John's Caps have a long history as hockey organizations that catered to players right up through from PeeWee. Do you fold them up because Harbour Grace, Clarenville and Mounr Pearl want to come east? Remember it was HNL which allowed the reforming the west and the AESHL leagues and left some teams likev the CeeBees and the Blades without a game .
All good questions ....I hope they don't wait until half way through the summer for an answer.
I'll be cheering for the Blades or the Eagles maybe in the fall.

Sam Boney

Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:55 pm

I hate to tell you Hockey Eyes but it seems your calculator may need new batteries. Gomez is pretty close in relation to the 16 kms he quoted re Mount Pearl. It's got nothing to do with the distance from Mount Pearl to Harbour Grace as you suggested, which is 97 kms by the way. You need to look at the difference in distance from the Glacier to the CEC and Harbour Grace stadium to the CEC. That works out to a grand total of 12 kms.

herder head

Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:43 pm

Long winter out here in CeeBee land with no senior hockey. Heard that league executive would like to get a fifth team for next season so players can get a scattered weekend off.
Hopefully we can get four or five competitive teams because one or two teams dominating won't do anyone any good. It would be good to see the shore in the league, it's possible if their territorial picks now playing in the CWSHL suit up for the Breakers next year.

just watch

Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:24 am

I would like to see the Breakers in this new league (if it happens). They were the only team that carried a fan base besides the Cee Bees for years they came to the SWM . and blocked a section of that rink. The Cee Bee fans also piled into the Southern Shore Arena . Both the Shore and CBN area had fans who went out and supported their teams , unlike the other teams that they had to keep afloat.
Bring on the Breakers,Cee Bees,Blades and Bous in one division and the Flyers, Cats,Red Wings and Royals in another division. All under the same rules with a play off for the Herder .Let the inside the overpass play their fun league for what ever they want.

Hockey Eyes

Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:10 am

just watch wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:24 am
I would like to see the Breakers in this new league (if it happens). They were the only team that carried a fan base besides the Cee Bees for years they came to the SWM . and blocked a section of that rink. The Cee Bee fans also piled into the Southern Shore Arena . Both the Shore and CBN area had fans who went out and supported their teams , unlike the other teams that they had to keep afloat.
Bring on the Breakers,Cee Bees,Blades and Bous in one division and the Flyers, Cats,Red Wings and Royals in another division. All under the same rules with a play off for the Herder .Let the inside the overpass play their fun league for what ever they want.
I am curious as to what would be the motivation for Corner Brook and Deer Lake to quit the succesfull amateur league they are in now to go play in a league with Grand Falls and Gander again. They have have partners now with Stephenville and Port aux Basques.
They played with Grand Falls and Gander before and paid out salaries. How did that work out for them ? They are fine where they are. Players that play for free and lots of fans from the communities. If it ain't broke ... don't fix it.
HNL would welcome some Central league with Grand Falls and Gander and a couple of more teams....

Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:13 pm

Breakers won 5-2 Friday night and lead series 3-1 over the Eagles.

Game 5: Sunday, March 04 @ The Shore
Game 6: Friday, March 09 @ Northeast

Cap won 6-3 Friday and lead series over Blues 2-1.

Game 4: Monday, March 05 @ CBS
Game 5: Friday, March 09 @ St. John’s
Game 6: Saturday, March 10 @ CBS
Game 7: Monday, March 12 @ St. John’s

Sergio

Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:37 pm

Hockey Eyes wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:10 am

HNL would welcome some Central league with Grand Falls and Gander and a couple of more teams....
How would you know this? Has HNL issued a public statement to that effect because it seems to me that all their past actions only served to suggest the exact opposite.

• Information